What spare parts do you carry in your Jeep?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

What spare parts do you carry in your Jeep?

Post by sirrus »

As title says, I'm interested what spares people are carrying with them. Obviously you can't have everything and a lot of things you can't replace in the field, but I'm thinking what should I add to my kit?

So far that's what I have in the spare parts bag:
  • light bulbs (H4, marker, turn and stop signals, license plate, some for interior lights)
  • fuses (for all amperages that are present in the GW)
  • couple relays
  • hose clamps and double barbed fitting for emergency hose repair
  • couple feet of wire and butt connectors
  • zip ties
  • electrical and duct tape
  • engine oil
I'm thinking about adding duraspark box to that since I'm still on the original one. It's working and doesn't leak goo, but looks like a cheap insurance to have a spare.

What would you add to that list? I'm mostly interested about later model years (as I have 88 GW), but I think that info might be useful to all FSJ owners
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

tgreese

Re: What spare parts do you carry in your Jeep?

Post by tgreese »

The two most likely things to stop you on no notice are fuel and spark.

For spark, I would carry a spare coil, and an ignition module. Any other modular electronic parts affecting spark. I would throw the old tuneup parts in a bag and carry those too - the plugs and wires have quite bit of redundancy, and likely won't strand you. But it's really easy to carry tune-up parts rather than throw them in the trash.

Fuel pump, some (10 ft?) gas line. The gas line can double as a siphon hose, for that other 'no fuel' emergency. Gas can.

When I buy a new/old car, I change all the hoses and belts and carry the originals as spares. Easy. Stash them in a corner of the body somewhere.

Sometimes preparation is better than spares. Always change your heater hoses! Seems like they are the #1 on-road failure. Get quality hose like Gates Green Stripe, or change them every couple of years.

Electrical wire is good. A 6' length of wire with alligator clips on both ends can be helpful.

Zip ties, baling wire (!), duct tape, anything else like that you can think of.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Thank for reply Tim!

Very good points - I'll add fuel hose, pump and coil to the bag. I forgot to mention belts - I actually did exactly what you described and have my old belts stashed away. They were squealing, but I thought that squealing is better then none.

Heater hoses - I was just thinking about replacing them this morning! Since I have air injection manifold, evap canister and alternator off it gives a lot of clearance to replace hoses. I'll have to measure the length and diameter, but I think that it's 3/4 ID or something like it
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Everything is more or less new, but do carry some hoses, self fusing silicone tape, fluids, duct tape, wire. If it's a long trip I have a new alternator I haven't got around to installing I'll bring with (don't know how many miles are on my current alt and nothing like a roadside install). And a big bucket of prayers.

No spare tire oddly enough, aux gas tank is where the spare goes and don't like a tire taking up all of my cargo room. Wish there was an off-the-shelf solution to mount it vertically in the cargo area.

Oh yeah, add AAA card to the list.
1984 GW

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

One of the guys on here builds and sells spare tire mounts rock lawerence I think. Has some other cool stuff. Check it out.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i just cleaned out my Jeep. After working on the suspension. Body mounts. Frane. Gas tank. New tires. Lighting and electrical. I would just toss my tools back in the Jeep as i was too tired to put em away properly.

My Jeep was to the ceiling nearly with trash tools parts ect.

Finally after 4 days of organizing it all. I had about 40 lbs of trash i tossed. And 200 lbs of tools.parts ect i put in storage. ( includes thr trailer hitch i never installed yet)

Anyway all my spare parts are in storage. I had my rear window motor and a plasric gear for it. I had spare spark plugs and wires ( old ones actually but they worked) spare ignition coil, various paints and oil and grease and yada yada. I had dash switchs snd all kinds of stuff

All of this stuff i put in storage. Its just extra weight and takes up room.

I do still have my big tool box back there though with spare v belts, various sized screw drivers and various pliers from normal ones to needle nose, to ones for wiring, and snap ring pliers, heatshrink tubing? Fuses, wiring, but connectors all 3 colors for diff sized wires, small little butane torch. My big c clamp. I have my socket set with every major size youd need from 4.5mm to 19mm. In my big box i have other larger sizes.

I have a box with various screws bolts nuts. Washers. Box of o rings, rtv, bag of various sized zip ties. I have a small box with every type of screw head imaginagle from regular philips and flat head to various hexd and star and torx bits. I have a bunch of allen wrenchs.

Have a 2 foot breaker bar, 3 feet and 1 foot prybars. Various deep sockets. Fire extinguisher, umbrellas, led magflash light, jumper cables. Two bottle jacks, first aid kit. 100mph tape, electrical tape.

Dont have a spare tire though. I did buy 5 Mastercraft mudd terrains very recently but the 5th i havent got a rim for yet. Considering just using the old rim on the priginal spare for now. And i need to install my trailer hitch. Because i bought a curt hitch mounted spare thingy. And a folding adapter for the hitch. I plan to cut the L lower part of thr curt soare tire mount off. And mount it into my folding adapter and this way my spare tire is mounted to my hitch and if i need access to the tailgate i can pull a pin and the tire mount folds down giving me access to lower my tailgate. Personally i think the folding spare tire on the hitch is an awsome idea. The adapter i got that holds also has an extention for a ball mount so i can still tow if i had too

I carry alot of stuff. But after my reorganizing i have about half my trunk empty now. Before i carried almost every tool i had.. and tool kits haha.. even my welder i carried.

Still have about 150lbs of tools in the back though. And i always carry 5 quarts of oil and coolant. Because i leak alot of oil from pretty much everywhere on the engine and i always gatta refill the engine after 400 miles or so with a quart or so. It sucks. But i just havent gotten to doing the valve cover intake. Oil pan. Rear main.. it all needs fixed. It really sucks.. in fact today ima make a plate cover with thin sheet metal over bend on the exhaust pipe below the oil pan. The oil drips on the exhaust and causes smoke.. just what i need is a oil fire. The pan will cover the transmission and rear oil pan so this way itll drip on the pan and be far away from my exhaust pipe.

Ghetto.. but i can only do so many repairs so fast. And its easier to refill my oil and protect my exhaust than take the engines apart to fix the leaks. While i do more important repairs.

Here is a folding spare tire hitch you can buy. I didnt get this one because i still wanted access to my hitch and the the curt spare hitch im modding uses thicker metal. This one is kinda thin. But works. It also wont fold down as far as mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08971HK ... eature_div.

The one im making uses these two. Just cut the hitch part off the curt and drill a hole to mount in this folding hitch carrier and youre done

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=2213997

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-Hitch ... eature_div
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Post by will e »

I carry a lot of spare parts and other extra equipment but I also go off road a lot. Do you plan on going off road much with your Jeep?
A fire extinguisher is a good idea. And not just a cheap kiddie from the local home depot. Spend the money and get a non-chemical one. That stuff that comes out of the cheaper FE's will make a mess of things and is corrosive too.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Another very common failure is those short gas hoses on top of the engine that connect the fuel filter. Very common source of engine fires. I change them regularly, and use quality hose. You can get Gates hose at RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/hoses ... se,1001642 - a good thing to add in to your order when it won't raise your shipping cost. "Barricade" and "Green Stripe" are their better offerings, also in heater hose. Look through the offerings for a supplier that's reasonably priced and matches your order - seems that availability changes frequently.

The cheap fuel and heater hose from the chain parts stores is terrible. Ok for your siphon hose, but I would not use it anywhere I relied on it.
Last edited by tgreese on Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Is the non chemical extinguisher an ABC though ? Thr one i have shoots the white powder out but its ABC. B and C are for electrical and gas and oils. A is for plastics. Carpet. Wood. Paper. Leather and vinyls. Which there is alot of in these Jeeps lol

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

tgreese wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 am Another very common failure is those short gas hoses on top of the engine that connect the fuel filter. Very common source of engine fires. I change them regularly, and use quality hose. You can get Gates hose at RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/hoses ... se,1001642 - a good thing to add in to your order when it won't raise your shipping cost. Look through the offerings for a supplier that's reasonably priced and matches your order - seems that availability changes frequently.

The cheap fuel hose from the chain parts stores is terrible. Ok for your siphon hose, but I would not use it anywhere I relied on it.

Tell me about it. Ive had to replace the damn fuel lines up there like 4 times.. Seems the short hose on the fuel filter and where it clamps crack after a year. Its annoying i dunno if they even make good fuel line hose these days... Tired of it cracking all the time

But that is one thing i carry too is 3 feet or so of fuel hose

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Get marine barricade hose. Expen$ive but fewer change outs.
One or more spare tires (depends where I’m going and the terrain plus what I’m driving). I took 3 to the original Ouray Invasion from Seattle. Wore all three plus the 4 on the truck to nearly steel cords due to getting hit by one of our delivery trucks (CSK back then) just a short ways from the KOA. That was in my 4 cyl ‘86 Comanche that my sons and I converted to 4x4 the day before we left because UPS lost my steering components for Blackjack. (84 J10)
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Speaking of tires, the other common thing that will stop you, on road or off, is a flat tire. IMO you must have a good full-size matching spare if you do any serious off-roading. Tire repair stuff is good too - know what you need and carry the stuff to do it. Plugs, cement, (a good plug kit), boots, tubes, liquid goop (Slime and so forth) etc.

None of this repair stuff is of any use if you can't reinflate the tire, so carry a cheap compressor, have on-board air, something. Those self-contained cans of sealant and pressure might work ... no real experience with them. I think they are intended to get you to a shop when you can pull the nail and you have conventional sized passenger car tires. Possibly a useful backup under ideal circumstances.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I got like 6 ryobi lithium batteries. Was thinking of getting the little 1 gallon air compressor from ryobi.. its tiny im sure itll take awhile to inflate a tire but videos ive seen show it does work.

I did have a tire repair kit.. now that i think about it. I didnt see it when i cleaned out my Jeep the last few days. Wonder where it is. Ive used it probably 6 or 7 times now. On our Jeeps my brothers Jeep and a friends car

letank

Post by letank »

X2 on "Another very common failure is those short gas hoses on top of the engine that connect the fuel filter. Very common source of engine fires. I change them regularly, and use quality hose"

The one I replaced 2 years ago, was already hardened this spring.

A voltmeter with alligator clips...
for out and about day trip 4x4 a sleeping bag (rated accordingly), a tent, a mat (optional) and food and camp stove
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Fire extinguisher and a first aid kit is a must. I always have both in any car I own, probably as a habit back from Russia when it was mandatory to have them. I think that regulations changed recently, but it's a very good idea to have it. For now I have just usual chemical one, but thinking about getting a halguard or something like it. Expensive, but should be worth it

I'm not planning to do any crazy offroading, mostly it's highway driving and dirt roads in the forest.

Spare tire - I still have the original polyspare one, which holds air but I don't think I should put it on. Definitely need to replace that (I keep forgetting about it). Tire repair kit is a good idea, not expensive and doesn't take too much space. As I've never used one, which is better - regular tire plug or one of those sealant cans? I'm leaning toward plug, looks more reliable and not that hard to use either

I have a jumpstarter that is also a compressor - never used it to jumpstart anything, but compressor part is working good.

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

I keep one of the plug sets plus a can of sealant. The plug kits can be had on Amazon for $30 or less with a ton of plugs of different sizes, rasps for the hole, plug tools, cement and everything in a nice pack.

I also keep a spare set of points in mine as well as a new spark plug or two. (Tossed them into a small box I keep in the HF tool bag that holds some wrenches,sockets, screwdrivers, a small wire brush, long nose/hose pliers, star washers, screws/bolts, zip ties, 12 AWG wire, etc)

This is a great thread with lots of good tips, I have added a note to order some Gates/greenstripe hoses and line next time I order parts.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

We get into first aid kit and such ... I would suggest you look into "bug out bag." Include first aid, emergency rations, space blanket, all that stuff. Depends on what situations you believe you will encounter. Letank (michel) suggests some things that I would consider camping supplies, like a tent. You can roll under your Jeep on a sleeping pad with a space blanket and survive... BTDT.

What situations do you want to be prepared for? A survival bivouac means you won't freeze to death. A sleeping bag is quite a luxury in those circumstances. A sleeping pad will serve as something to lay on to make repairs, as well as a survival tool.

If you want to significantly enhance your first aid kit, include stuff like this https://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Advance ... r_1_1_sspa If you want to be prepared for major bleeding, this is what you want. Check the mountaineering and war zone first aid recommendations for similar products. Splints too. (JMO - you are contemplating extraordinarily unlikely territory with these clot-inducing products. Maybe good for one person in your group?).
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Well, that's a getting a bit far from my original question :) I was thinking more about what parts should I be carrying in the back of the jeep to be able to get it back on the road in case of some common issues (like duraspark module failure, fuel hose giving out, etc) or at least to be able limp to nearest town, mechanic, area with cell signal.

We're getting more into bug out and survival territory here, which is also interesting but maybe a topic for a separate discussion

will e

Post by will e »

candymancan wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:36 am Is the non chemical extinguisher an ABC though ? Thr one i have shoots the white powder out but its ABC. B and C are for electrical and gas and oils. A is for plastics. Carpet. Wood. Paper. Leather and vinyls. Which there is alot of in these Jeeps lol
The HALGUARD I carry is B and C. If my plastic, carpet, wood, leather or vinyl is on fire it is probably because the gas/oil/electrical fire got out of control. Your most likely fire is in the engine bay due to a gas leak of some kind. Or an amp meter fire. Possibly a stuck brake shoe or rotor. I know a tossed cigarette might fly back in and set the seat on fire or a hot catalytic converter might get the carpet smoking. The chemical stuff is very corrosive.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ive seen alot of grand wagoneers that were burned in the Salvage yard from the dash. Not the engine bay, i can see the entire dash burned to a crisp. Electrical fire, but if the dash catchs on fire you can still save it if you have the right extinguisher. Id rather replace the dash and wires inside than the whole Jeep due to not having the proper extinguisher.

Ive also just recently had the pink 18GA positive wire for the dome lights short out due to a broken visor wire. It didnt pop the fuse in time and shorted the entire wire from the ceiling to the floor under the drivers seat, then it poped the fuse. But once i found the bad wire it was fused to the carpet and the 12v ignition wire. Imagine if the carpet caught on fire down there ? Or the headliner ? Just saying.

I worry about fires alot on my Jeep, especially electrical and oil fires. My 360 leaks so much oil from the rear main and the intake manifold front and rear gaskets that it drips all over, and since the Y pipe Curves under the oil pan and block it gets right on the pipe. I had smoke down there many times, before i finally made a shield out of 24GA steel. Paper thin steel but its plenty. I basically cut it to shape and bolted it to the inspection plate on the transmission housing. And now the oil drips on the plate and away from the exhaust.

I know i gatta fix all this eventually but with so many repairs ive done over the years as you might have seen from my threads i just havent gotten to it yet. After my ball joint and u joint on the axle shaft is fixed i think I'll start preparing to replace the timing chain, balencers, intake manifold gasket, the valve cover gaskets "again" and TRY the rear main seal for a 2nd time. I did attempt it once but it didnt fix the leak.. So i gatta keep putting oil in.. a quart every 400 miles or so.. It sucks.. big time but it is what it is. The main thing keeping me from doing the intake is the worry of bolts breaking inside the head. I did the intake on my 98 5.9 ZJ 6 years ago and got lucky only 1 bolt broke and it had a big enough stud to get locking pliers on it

One thing i will note, your extinguisher or mine is to get a big one. The small ones you see most people use last for 2-3 seconds and they are done if you hold the trigger. I say get a 10-15lbs one at least. Or hell have a big one and a small one