Switch Panel...first try

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Switch Panel...first try

Post by HowardT64 »

Hey everyone :) Got all my bits and bobs to make my switch panel. My first try on a bit of Plexiglas. I messed up ONE hole...dangit. I may redo this with a nice bit of pressboard thats the right thickness. But here is my first attempt....

2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Re: Switch Panel...first try

Post by HowardT64 »

This will fit In Side the glove box and be wired so that it utilizes the glove box light hole. This way when I am not running the Jeep, I can close the glove box and lock it, of course ill have to get the lock re keyed to fit my door key. I have some fine tuning to do on it, hell I may be able to fix the abnormal hole and just paint the whole thing black.

I think I have enough switches to cover all of the needs that are on the column switch. Im excited to get it installed :)

Thoughts?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Aluminum? Why transparent or otherwise plastic?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

HowardT64 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:44 pm Thoughts?
I agree that aluminum might be a better choice. It's going to be a little bit stiffer. Also, you can drill and tap it and use it as a 'negative buss bar'.

I really like the idea of the starter switch being in the glove box. Being able to lock it is a good idea. I would consider keeping some of the functions easy to reach. You want to be able to kill the engine quickly without having to open the glove box. Stuck throttle comes to mind first (and it will be cool that you can kill the engine without accidently 'locking' the steering'). Engine fire or low oil pressure also are reasons you want to be able to just quickly kill the engine. Having to open the glove box will add precious seconds to this.

I don't know what your intention for the other switches are. You write 'enough switches to cover all of the needs that are on the column switch'. Are we talking turn signals? You're not going to want to open the glove box each time you turn. Are you moving the horn to this panel as well? That's not going to be very convenient. Hazard lights sure, they are needed infrequently. And you don't want to drive around with the glove box open, it will bounce around unless you figure out something to secure it open.

I am not trying to be a bummer. I am just trying to understand your overall plan, which I may have misinterpreted, and giving some thoughts on it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A step drill works very well for sheet metal. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=step+drill&h ... sed5yk80_e
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

tgreese wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:07 pm Aluminum? Why transparent or otherwise plastic?
I am going to use wood....I have a piece ill have to cut. Ill use this as a template. Why settle for less when it comes to my Jeep?
I was going to use this, and it does look nifty...but i want something different :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

will e wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:51 pm
HowardT64 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:44 pm Thoughts?
I agree that aluminum might be a better choice. It's going to be a little bit stiffer. Also, you can drill and tap it and use it as a 'negative buss bar'.

I really like the idea of the starter switch being in the glove box. Being able to lock it is a good idea. I would consider keeping some of the functions easy to reach. You want to be able to kill the engine quickly without having to open the glove box. Stuck throttle comes to mind first (and it will be cool that you can kill the engine without accidently 'locking' the steering'). Engine fire or low oil pressure also are reasons you want to be able to just quickly kill the engine. Having to open the glove box will add precious seconds to this.

I don't know what your intention for the other switches are. You write 'enough switches to cover all of the needs that are on the column switch'. Are we talking turn signals? You're not going to want to open the glove box each time you turn. Are you moving the horn to this panel as well? That's not going to be very convenient. Hazard lights sure, they are needed infrequently. And you don't want to drive around with the glove box open, it will bounce around unless you figure out something to secure it open.

I am not trying to be a bummer. I am just trying to understand your overall plan, which I may have misinterpreted, and giving some thoughts on it.
Some of the functions that are wired into the column switch along with the starter need to be wired there as I am going to eliminate the column setup. as for the steering lock, when My jeep was stolen the thief ruined the column itself and tore it up. You can use the actuator rod to start the vehicle. The steering lock does not exist anymore. I have "The Club" to lock onto the steering wheel.

The amount of the switches may be excessive, but I did not want to come up short when I start the wiring process. I can use the extra switches for other things later if needed. Ill look at the schematics and detail which ones I need for ya to explain my process :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Here is the final cut :) I used some wood this time. I think it looks much better than the clear. The remaining hole is for my tailgate window switch.

What do you think?

2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"