Rear Body Bushings and Wire Harness Plug

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Rear Body Bushings and Wire Harness Plug

Post by custom76 »

ImageImage

I need to replace both far rear sets of body bushings after cutting out and welding in new body supports. Does anyone know an easy button to buy just these or something less than a kit?

Has anyone successfully pushed one of these, now hard as a rock, taillight harness plugs through using heat or ?? Don’t really want to cut it out or cut the harness unless I have to.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

tgreese

Re: Rear Body Bushings and Wire Harness Plug

Post by tgreese »

What I would do - remove the plastic shells from the connections, remove the tape and push the wires through the old grommet one by one. You can release the brass connectors from the plastic shell with a thin instrument like a dental pick or jeweler's screwdriver. There's a tab accessible from the connection side that you push down to release. The connectors are also available new - look online for Packard 56 connectors.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

tgreese wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:37 am What I would do - remove the plastic shells from the connections, remove the tape and push the wires through the old grommet one by one. You can release the brass connectors from the plastic shell with a thin instrument like a dental pick or jeweler's screwdriver. There's a tab accessible from the connection side that you push down to release. The connectors are also available new - look online for Packard 56 connectors.
Probably the only way to remove this and saving the grommet with a bit of silicone afterward would certainly be better than trying to fill that big hole. Thx
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

ImageImage

Cut out the mounts today, this end is the worst, but other end is headed that way. Since only 12” or so on each ends affected, considering welding about an 18” section of 3/16” or 1/8” angle iron directly over each end after drilling out bolt holes.

Better ideas?

Still need source for these.

fsj454

Post by fsj454 »

Hi . That's common in the rusts belt . Been There Done That . When you buy a aftermarket bushing kit it comes with 10 bushing and you only need 8 bushings. So I had 2 extras bushings that I installed on that rear body support brace that you are working on so I have 4 body bushing on my rear to even the load . I am doing jeep FSJ number 2 as we speak . Ask around other members mine have the extra 2 bushing that they did not need....
:fsj:454.nv4500.205.twin stick.hydo boost. hydrolic clutch.dana 60s.soa.37s 17inch.tration bar.warn 1200. 4 wheel disc.aero29 gallon .conferr roof rack.spal pulse width modulation.spal duel fans.painless battery isolator.duel batterys.factory cb. headers 2 1/2 duels.4.56 Detroit locker.alloy 35 spline axles.stainless brake lines .holley 770.edelbrock.fuel.water.intake.H4s.head light relays.racho 9000 shocks.rock ram.steering box brace.j20 steering box.msd8265 probillet distributor.msd super conductor wires.

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

fsj454 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 pm Hi . That's common in the rusts belt . Been There Done That . When you buy a aftermarket bushing kit it comes with 10 bushing and you only need 8 bushings. So I had 2 extras bushings that I installed on that rear body support brace that you are working on so I have 4 body bushing on my rear to even the load . I am doing jeep FSJ number 2 as we speak . Ask around other members mine have the extra 2 bushing that they did not need....
Will do, anyone out there with extras?

Thanks

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

custom76 wrote:ImageImage

Cut out the mounts today, this end is the worst, but other end is headed that way. Since only 12” or so on each ends affected, considering welding about an 18” section of 3/16” or 1/8” angle iron directly over each end after drilling out bolt holes.

Better ideas?

Update, I reported on another thread of mine, apologize for redundancy, BJ’s had agreed to sell pairs of the rear mounts separately. Unfortunately they are configured backwards, waiting on BJ’s reply, hopefully they pulled wrong pair. Will keep everyone updated.
ImageImage

Going to scrap metal place soon to hopefully find 2 1/2” wide angle steel close to 18 gauge steel to overlay (from the backside) the rusty ends on body mount panel. Flat steel overlay for the frame ends easy peasey, other than being a newbie welder.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Lol hey at least you still had the original rubber. My rear the rubber is gone completetly nothing holding the last 2 rear bushings lol..

I really gatta replace all of em.. the rest on the body are litterally falling off.. but im not looking foward to doing it.. im 100% certain every bolt will break.. or break the nut certs.. and i gatta fab nee mounts too as some have rusted away where the rubber goes in
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

candymancan wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:22 pm Lol hey at least you still had the original rubber. My rear the rubber is gone completetly nothing holding the last 2 rear bushings lol..

I really gatta replace all of em.. the rest on the body are litterally falling off.. but im not looking foward to doing it.. im 100% certain every bolt will break.. or break the nut certs.. and i gatta fab nee mounts too as some have rusted away where the rubber goes in
Sawsall or grinder time, my least favorite. Want me to send you my used ones :D

Decided they are more incomplete than upside down. If I can locate the near exact size nut to weld onto the support and a sleeve to go in both it will work once I figure out how to spread the frame and body mounts apart without removing any more frame mounts, only need another 1” or less, old wag oughta flex that much.

Going to bolt specialty place soon, we’ve got a really good one here, amazing what I’ve found there before.