Pow! - Power Steering Pump Bracket Sheered Off - anyone have one?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

File this under "You can't make this up"...

Last weekend, as we pulled the Wagoneer into the driveway, we heard the power steering pump squeal, and felt severe vibration. I raised the hood & saw the pump 'jumping' as the wheels were being turned. It was late & I was leaving the next morning on a business trip for the week, so we parked it til I could get a chance to look at it.

Today, I went to move it to under our carport - started it, and began backing up & turned the wheels to the right a quarter turn, and Pow! - total loss of power steering. Immediately stopped the engine & jumped out to raise the hood to find the power steering pump bracket had sheered off! It's now laying on top of the steering box. So far, i've not been able to find the belt.

I've now taken the record from my wife for least distance driven before a total crap-out... 3 feet. From other posts, you may remember my wife set the previous record back in August, as we were heading to the Jeep Invasion in Sevierville, TN. She made it 3 miles out of the driveway, before a power-steering hose O-ring blew out & stranded her. Unreal.

? - wondering if anyone in the East Tennessee area have a bracket they would be willing to sell to help get us back on the road?
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
Theodore

Re: Pow! - Power Steering Pump Bracket Sheered Off - anyone have one?

Post by Theodore »

Looking at the bracket, it looks like a previous owner left out a bolt that goes into the block, that would've created a triangle, thereby reinforcing the bracket. Ugh.

Part number stamped in the bracket: 3227680
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I'm in western ky. I have a blown pump that has a good bracket on it. I work with some guys that live in east Tennessee. I could have one of them drop it by or meet up if it is somewhat close. PM me for some info if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

toothofwar wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:41 pm I'm in western ky. I have a blown pump that has a good bracket on it. I work with some guys that live in east Tennessee. I could have one of them drop it by or meet up if it is somewhat close. PM me for some info if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
PM'd. Thanks.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Last night, I thought i'd take a look & see how many parts were associated with mounting the power steering pump, how many were missing, and how many, if any, i had in a parts stash that came with the car - as it seems like this part shouldn't have broken...

Turns out, the secondary support bracket (part #2 on the exploded parts diagram) & associated bolts, which if installed, would've prevented this, were in my parts stash.

Looking closely at the exploded parts diagram, it appears that previous owner, or his mechanic had an issue w/odd numbered parts, as in addition to #2, #3, #5, #7, & #9 are missing. Ugh. We'll really have something once we get things back together.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I have never seen those high lighted parts. Hmmm?

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Was definitely a missing bolt. You can see the empty bolt hole in the head there, and the corresponding hole in the bracket. Whole lot of stress on that tiny part of the aluminum bracket.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

gopher_6_9

Post by gopher_6_9 »

Not in east tn but shipping wouldn''t be bad, I may have a spare on my spare engine, ill have to look and see if you haven't sourced one yet.

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Am back in business! A forum member PM'd me from El Paso a few days back; Received the parts on Friday in good shape & installed everything today - went ahead & replaced the power steering pump while i had everything torn apart. Test drove the Jeep this evening - it's never driven so good - has always had a mystery squeak & an intermittent jerky steering wheel - all that's gone now. Thanks to all who helped/co-miserated w/this.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Does it have all the required bolts holding it on now?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Stuka wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:00 pm Glad to hear you got it fixed. Does it have all the required bolts holding it on now?
Yes. I received a complete power steering pump setup that included all parts in the diagram. The one odd thing, is part 5, a stud, is actually a hex head 1 1/2 inch stud that screws into the pump - thought I was missing that, til I laid everything out. Kicker, and probably the reason part 2-the secondary bracket was missing, is it must be installed on the pump over part 5-stud, as the pulley is being pressed on. Learned that the hard way... Am betting prev owner or his mechanic, didn’t want to bother, or didn’t understand how it went together. Also, The backing plate acts as a spacer on the pump side of the main mounting bracket.

Glad to say, we are getting there. Have already gone thru other exploded parts diagrams to compare against what I have, to see what else is missing. It appears we are good, as the only stuff missing is emissions stuff, from an EFI installation. Am still working thru that - tracking issues there in the fuel inj section.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have seen pumps come with that part already on them, where the previous owner didn't remove it, and then left it during the rebuild.
2017 JKU Rubicon