Radios with Bluetooth

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jguess85

Radios with Bluetooth

Post by Jguess85 »

I was wondering, Has anyone purchased the stock looking two post radio that has Bluetooth built in with the digital face? i have seen them pop up on Ebay and also amazon and i was wondering what the consensus is on these radios? Are they worth the money to have the stock look with up to date features? do they work? I really don't want to cut the dash to install a newer single din style radio. I think having the Bluetooth option for hands free calling would be nice. but i do know road noise and everything else will be a big factor in something like this.

Does anyone have any other options on this?

dodgerammit

Re: Radios with Bluetooth

Post by dodgerammit »

I have a retro sound unit in my Jeep. Performance is about par with a stock radio. Can't speak for bluetooth as mine doesn't have that feature. With no smartphone, I didn't deem it a necessity. Mine does have the aux port for mp3 player. I like the idea of having a tiny device that I can throw in the glove box and listen to a set playlist. Bluetooth would give you the same setup wirelessly.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

dodgerammit wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:11 am I have a retro sound unit in my Jeep. Performance is about par with a stock radio. Can't speak for bluetooth as mine doesn't have that feature. With no smartphone, I didn't deem it a necessity. Mine does have the aux port for mp3 player. I like the idea of having a tiny device that I can throw in the glove box and listen to a set playlist. Bluetooth would give you the same setup wirelessly.
Im not sure that the Bluetooth is a must have. but i like the hands free calling feature. I know im going to have to rewire speakers to the doors and if i want to put any in the back half of the Cab. I am trying to find pictures of solutions for the front door speakers so i can hide them in it. I am also trying to see how i should get speakers to the rear part of the Jeep cab so it will have good audio for tailgates and other things.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I believe the speaker size for the fronts would be 5 1/4". I purchased a set of pioneer TS-G520 speakers as they would produce the best bang for buck given the retro sound's output.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

I'm always a little slow getting around to reading posts but when I got my '72 truck it still had the original AM only radio. I sent it to a guy who upgrades old radios so they have the modern stuff but the original look. I only had mine converted to AM/FM with an aux jack but you can go full bluetooth with multiple speakers or whatever you want.

The guy I sent mine to Is
https://www.billtheradioguy.com/

but this is the company that makes the stuff to do the mods
http://tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Auto_Dealers.html
They have a list of people on their website.

I do have a word of advice if you choose to have a radio modified, Be very specific about exactly what you want and expect and agree on the price before you send it in.
'72 J4500

dissinnick

Post by dissinnick »

IMG_3444.jpg
I recently did a retro sound install on my 79 chief.

1978-83 Jeep J10 Hermosa Radio × 1
HB / 221 / 55-75

Ordered it from Retro sound directly.

The faceplate and knob combo matched my 8track stuff exactly. I was even able to reuse the 8track knobs and the surround.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

dissinnick wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 am IMG_3444.jpg

I recently did a retro sound install on my 79 chief.

1978-83 Jeep J10 Hermosa Radio × 1
HB / 221 / 55-75

Ordered it from Retro sound directly.

The faceplate and knob combo matched my 8track stuff exactly. I was even able to reuse the 8track knobs and the surround.
I really like that! It’ll be a bit before I get to put one in. I bring my 79 golden eagle home this weekend. I finally have everything to put the rear ended back together and under it and load it up to bring from Oklahoma to north Texas.

81waggy

Post by 81waggy »

I also did the retrosound with the Bluetooth connection. It looks pretty good. Came from Amazon, can't beat the 2 day free shipping. Sound is pretty decent if you update to some better speakers and a sub. Bought 4 walmart 5" speakers. They're OK, but definitely going to get better ones.

It's a little hard to see in the bright sunlight, but if you really only use the bt connection like I do, there's really not much to see.

They also have a version that does siriusxm.
81 Wagoneer with a TBI 350 Vortec.
83 Wagoneer - 360 Quadratrac
69 Wagoneer - 350 Diesel trail rig
70 Wagoneer - 1414x