What is this part?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
kbpisme

What is this part?

Post by kbpisme »

Hey all,

Recent purchaser of 1989 Grand Wagoneer. I’m in the throes of restoration and while the Jeep is in the shop for exterior work, I am trying to track down some interior parts. One part in particular is this black piece attached to the ceiling panel where the map lights and and digital compass are located. Between the front and rear rows is the part in question.

What is this piece and what was the purpose and hopefully I can track down a replacement.

EDIT: More searching has found that it might be related to keyless entry, but my PO didn’t give me a fob and the one in my Waggy is missing the black ball, instead it looks like a little black clip. I’m guessing this means that mine didn’t come with keyless entry?

If keyless entry was standard and mine is just missing, how hard is it to find a replacement?

will e

Re: What is this part?

Post by will e »

Howdy and welcome to the forum! I am not sure what about the part you are asking. When you eventually find the thick plastic strap that is located on the passenger side 'B' pillar you will now know that it is used to secure the rear seat when it is folded. haha.

someone will have an answer for you. My rigs are older so I don't recognize yours by your description.

This is a great site with great people. I am glad you found us.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Look at this diagram, does it have your part in it?

Might give you PN as a starting point...

Anyway original parts catalog can be helpful sometimes, you can get it at oljeep.com
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
kbpisme

Post by kbpisme »

Thanks to you both!

It looks like it was in fact the keyless entry system lens. Mine happens to be broken. After reading elsewhere in this forum, I think my best course of action is to remove the remaining clip for the lens and cover it up when finishing the console with fabric. I'll also use the opportunity to replace the keyless electronics with a non-LOS system. I need to see if I can do a paired non-LOS system that will allow me to also control the rear window (I plan to update that wiring for remote control as well) so I can control everything with a single remote.

Has anyone done this before?

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

BJ sells this Remote Entry Kit - said to operate locks and/or tailgate, though I don't have it so not sure if it can do both at the same time (given 4 buttons on the remote it probably can)
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

I have in the past installed a JC Whitney aftermarket remote entry kit in the overhead console.
You just need to wire the receiver in at the overhead console where the factory unit is/was or is supposed to have been.
The wires are already there ….it is quite simple all the new receiver does is trigger the already installed power door lock relays.

Kit cost me around $20-$30