Rear spring plates

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jguess85

Rear spring plates

Post by Jguess85 »

I am looking for the rear spring plates for a 79 Jeep Cherokee golden eagle. The plates that go on the leaf springs and the u bolts go through. Any help would be amazing.

Topic author
Jguess85

Re: Rear spring plates

Post by Jguess85 »

Will the spring plate from a wagoner work and does anyone know the built specs?

will e

Post by will e »

Yes, the spring plates from a waggy will work.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Rear spring plates are the same for Wagons and J10s '75-80, and likely later (my book stops at 1980). Jeep PN 5352087. Junkyard item, or check the parts cars lists here and at IFSJA. A machinist could make them for you, but this should be an easy part to find used.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

This might be a dumb question,
But as far as u bolts go, this has a new dana 44 spicer rear end that is brand new never been put on. Those bolts are 7' length and 2.75' wide? im just trying to figure out the most economical way to put this back together. I have a long list of things im going to have to do to be able to get this thing running. But first i need to get it out of the field it sits in and on a trailer. I need it rolling to be able to do that.

is there any tips on what i might need to look for?

ALso any help understanding this thing would be great. I am really excited to finally be able to have a jeep Since my first jeep was a 88 Wrangler when i was 16. Ive always loved these old cherokees.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a '79 factory service manual (TSM) here for you to read and download. This would be the best source regarding service issues.
http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

The factory parts book has a table of the u-bolts, showing sizes. You can buy a copy of it at RockAuto on CD-ROM for about $25

Do you have the old bolts? Technically you aren't supposed to reuse these u-bolts. However, the old bolts would be fine to put the axle under the Jeep and get it on a trailer or whatever. Or, you can take them to a local truck spring shop and they can make new ones. Supposedly Napa stores have a source of u-bolts, or you can search online for a source. They will not be available through Jeep or any aftermarket Jeep parts retailer. If you have the spring plates, you can measure the center-to-center distance between the holes, and the bolts are 9/16"-18 IIRC. They fit snugly on the axle tube.

NB the axle ratio of both front and rear axles must match. If this is some random axle the owner has, no guarantee it will match - you must verify.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

That is the problem i don't have any of the old spring plates or U bolts. The only bolt i have that was original is one that it looks like they hacked into a pieces to take off the original rear end. So now im on the search for those spring plates.

Thank you for the manual and the feed back!

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

Sent you a PM on spring plates
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Jguess85 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:28 am ...The only bolt i have that was original is one that it looks like they hacked into a pieces to take off the original rear end. ...
The original bolts were 9/16"-18 thread, 3.4" wide (center to center), straight part including the thread 5.0", threaded 2.0". This is right if the Jeep has its original springs. If the Jeep was lifted with aftermarket springs, likely the bolts will need to be longer.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I purchased spring plates for my j2000 from Barnes 4x4 and used rubicon express ubolts. This was for the front Dana 44 but maybe it’ll work for your rear also. I think the ubolts were listed for an XJ Dana 44 or something. The spring plates were easy enough as they’re listed by axle. Might be worth a look if you can’t find good used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tgreese wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 am Rear spring plates are the same for Wagons and J10s '75-80, and likely later (my book stops at 1980). Jeep PN 5352087. Junkyard item, or check the parts cars lists here and at IFSJA. A machinist could make them for you, but this should be an easy part to find used.
'75 actually used the old style spring plates (cast iron) with the smaller u-bolts for the rear (I think they were 7/16", but may have been 1/2"), and the later 9/16" u-bolts up front. When I lifted my '75, I had to drill out the spring plates to fit the larger u-bolts in back. The stock size u-bolts in back were actually bent too, was happy to git rid of them.

It is possible some 75's got the larger u-bolts in back with the stamped steel spring plates. We all know AMC was weird with change over years.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Not what the parts book shows, but they are listing the service parts and the book has been wrong before. Plus the usual Jeep weirdness disclaimer - I don't think it's limited to AMC. The book actually says '74-80 for the 5352087 with 9/16" bolts, but shows an exception for some '74 model 25s with smaller bolts (17/32" holes vs 19/32" holes). That's a 912615 which is an old part number from around say 1960 or earlier, and could be pre-FSJ or first year FSJ.

Sorry to rattle on about this - I expect the way this worked in the days before JIT inventory, they made a design change and it became effective immediately. Then if they have a bazillion of these parts on hand, and way more than they will ever sell as service parts, they use them up in current production. I expect they had some accountant keeping track of parts sales, and making predictions of how many parts they needed to keep stock for a decade or whatever. Spring plates don't wear out, so not much demand and they probably used up nearly all they had on hand. Also, old timers here know that this kind of stuff happened a lot ... we've seen plenty of examples of factory equipment not matching what 'should' be there according to the model year and parts and service documents.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, all auto makers did this. But it certainly seems that AMC always ended up with more extras than others. Could be they had to buy more than they needed to get a better deal, which resulted in them being used for longer.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

I'll just throw this out there after my experience trying to find u-bolts when I needed to a replace one from the front of mine, don't waste your time trying to find anyone that stocks them locally (such as Napa). No one at all seems to carry 9/16" anymore, and overall stock of proper u-bolts is limited as there are much less vehicles that use them on the road now. Either find a local spring shop where they can make them as recommended or buy them online.
1979 J10, 360/QT

Topic author
Jguess85

Post by Jguess85 »

PossumJr wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 am I'll just throw this out there after my experience trying to find u-bolts when I needed to a replace one from the front of mine, don't waste your time trying to find anyone that stocks them locally (such as Napa). No one at all seems to carry 9/16" anymore, and overall stock of proper u-bolts is limited as there are much less vehicles that use them on the road now. Either find a local spring shop where they can make them as recommended or buy them online.
I ordered them from BJ's offroad. They will be here on Friday, I also have to order Drums. So once i get the drums in i will be able to bring it home and start going through it and figuring out what all i need to do get her on the road. Im hoping to get the fluids flushed, new oil, clean the gas tank. put some fresh gas in it and see if she will start.

Any one with good tips i need to know? How about cleaning of the gas tank? or if i should hook a inline pump up and see what gas looks like coming out? or should i pull it? Im up for options i just want to see this thing run again so i can see what all will have to be done. Im interested to see if the factory air works. i highly doubt it. Also the battery box is a little rusted out, i can fab up a new one to replace the old one. i have material and the welder.

I know i need to redo the breaks on the rear so that will be something i will get done asap once i get it home as well.

Thanks in advance.