Manifold vacuum?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Manifold vacuum?

Post by ShagWagon »

I had a mechanic do some head work and when I get it back he installed this where my brake booster previously went. It doesn’t have any vacuum to it? I thought this port had a lot of pressure. He also didn’t install the metal intake pan gasket, and said it was t necessary. Could that be why there isn’t any vacuum there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Re: Manifold vacuum?

Post by letank »

ShagWagon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm Image

I had a mechanic do some head work and when I get it back he installed this where my brake booster previously went. It doesn’t have any vacuum to it? I thought this port had a lot of pressure. He also didn’t install the metal intake pan gasket, and said it was t necessary. Could that be why there isn’t any vacuum there?

that looks like a PCV and what is caped is the modulator signal, see simplified diagram below, it is in the rear right side of the intake manifold... the brake booster vacuum line is upfront behind the thermostat housing

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

letank wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:23 pm
ShagWagon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm Image

that looks like a PCV and what is caped is the modulator signal, see simplified diagram below, it is in the rear right side of the intake manifold... the brake booster vacuum line is upfront behind the thermostat housing

Well I have a fitech on it. I ran my brake booster to a port for it on the fitech. What should I do with the pcv valve? I blocked it off for now.

Thanks
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

ShagWagon wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:23 pm
Well I have a fitech on it. I ran my brake booster to a port for it on the fitech. What should I do with the pcv valve? I blocked it off for now.

Thanks
you need some venting for the engine, otherwise your gaskets are going to leak... where is the other part of that vertical hose going to now? Pict is always helpful... not an EFI guy, so I cannot give the best advice!

the oil filler cap is an alternate venting port but you need to put an air filter to it, which is what I did when the PCV misbehaved

Michel

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

letank wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks
you need some venting for the engine, otherwise your gaskets are going to leak... where is the other part of that vertical hose going to now? Pict is always helpful... not an EFI guy, so I cannot give the best advice!

the oil filler cap is an alternate venting port but you need to put an air filter to it, which is what I did when the PCV misbehaved

He just left about 6” of 1/4” hose on it. That’s why I thought it was for my vacuum system. It was just long enough to reach a T that he had plugged off.

OK so I need to find somewhere to run it back into my engine then?

Your advice is great! I didn’t know lol. I thought pcv valves were always on valve covers and intake manifold had super vacuum...

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

ShagWagon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks

He just left about 6” of 1/4” hose on it. That’s why I thought it was for my vacuum system. It was just long enough to reach a T fitting by my vacuum can ball on the firewall that he had plugged off.

Your advice is great! I didn’t know lol. I thought pcv valves were always on valve covers and intake manifold had super vacuum...

letank

Post by letank »

ShagWagon wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:42 pm
He just left about 6” of 1/4” hose on it. That’s why I thought it was for my vacuum system. It was just long enough to reach a T that he had plugged off.

No too sure about your layout, may be a few pictures would be more than helpful.

and I forgot to add that without the intake manifold gasket which is a valley pan metal gasket, you may have more oil plugging/passing thru
your PCV

New valley pan gasket

and the old one upon removal after 100Kmiles of use on a 350Kmile engine

Michel