Ignition, Plugs and Timing

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Ignition, Plugs and Timing

Post by custom76 »

Just replaced carb with another Performer mounted on Edelbrock manifold. Engine has a miss we can’t seem to chase out, so I’m going to start with a new set of plugs and I’m questioning the ignition module connected to the MSD set up.

All was by PO, fixed incorrect vacuum hose hookups, replaced bad vacuum pod on distributor and timing advances from base of 13 degrees to 33 degrees now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by custom76 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

Curly

Re: Ignition, Plugs and Timing

Post by Curly »

That Wells box is the voltage regulator for the alternator.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

will e

Post by will e »

Since it was installed by a PO let's check a basic thing.

Confirm if the new coil is an 'internal' or 'external' resistance coil. If it is an 'internal' resistor coil then confirm the voltage on the coil positive side with the ignition turned 'on'. The jeep doesn't have to be running. If it is lower than 11 volts, then there is a resistor wire in the circuit. An internal resistor coil wants 'all 12 volts'. The simple fix is to add a relay using the current coil wires as the trigger.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Curly wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:31 pm That Wells box is the voltage regulator for the alternator.
Electrical is obviously not my strong suit. Then this component seems to be functioning fine. Thanks
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

will e wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 pm Since it was installed by a PO let's check a basic thing.

Confirm if the new coil is an 'internal' or 'external' resistance coil. If it is an 'internal' resistor coil then confirm the voltage on the coil positive side with the ignition turned 'on'. The jeep doesn't have to be running. If it is lower than 11 volts, then there is a resistor wire in the circuit. An internal resistor coil wants 'all 12 volts'. The simple fix is to add a relay using the current coil wires as the trigger.
The coil is not new, the MSD Blaster is also from the PO’s setup. My brother in law is helping me through this and likely knows just what you mean. I have learned a great deal from Mac over the years. I’ll be back in touch if he has any questions. Thanks

babywag

Post by babywag »

Which MSD distributor does it have?
8519 or 8523(internal ignition module)?

Coil wire looks sketchy, spray all wires/cap with a spray bottle filled with water @ night in dark while engine is running.
If you have any bad wires you'll see & hear them arcing.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

babywag wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:24 am Which MSD distributor does it have?

Coil wire looks sketchy, spray all wires/cap with a spray bottle filled with water @ night in dark while engine is running.

I am unsure, how do I tell the MSD model?
Thanks for the test tip!

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

babywag wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:24 am Which MSD distributor does it have?

This is my model.
MSD 8523 Distributor Pro-Billet Ready-to-Run Magnetic Trigger AMC

When we ( meaning me and my electronically smarter brother in law Mac) get one aspect of engine performing well it puts something else out of whack, I.e., got it idling and mostly starting well (occasional lag), but doesn’t take gas on acceleration as well as it should and we’re setting on 22 degree advance right now which is a lot higher than specs say to do but much lower it falls apart, changed out carb to new Edelbrock 600 and new vacuum advance pod installed, vacuum ported to LH side, timed vacuum on upper plate I think.

Update, today it lugged, backfired thru carb and didn’t start. Mac thinks I might need to go to a stock distributor.

Truck has not been run on road since these were done, strictly garage tuned for now until I get hood back on and few other things finished before I can.

Thx

babywag

Post by babywag »

verify plug wires are correct firing order
check cam gear and distributor gear. have to remove distributor to check them.
if stripped/chewed teeth you'll never get it to run right.

many times aftermarket distributor gears eat up old cam gears.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

letank

Post by letank »

When you get it running.... you said edelbrock 600cfm, is it a 1406? Make sure that it is plumbed as per specs, the PCV valve layout is different than our stock 2150

If there are no vacuum leaks tested with your favorite spray around the carb base, be sure that you do not read false positive by the spray being sucked into the air filter , not too sure of your air filter set up.

What vacuum manifold reading do you get, above 15" and somewhat steady? Using the strobe light on every spark wire, is it lighting consistantly?

Then time for compression check...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

letank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 am When you get it running.... you said edelbrock 600cfm, is it a 1406? Make sure that it is plumbed as per specs, the PCV valve layout is different than our stock 2150

If there are no vacuum leaks tested with your favorite spray around the carb base, be sure that you do not read false positive by the spray being sucked into the air filter , not too sure of your air filter set up.

What vacuum manifold reading do you get, above 15" and somewhat steady? Using the strobe light on every spark wire, is it lighting consistantly?

Yes, 1406, I’ll double check all plumbing, but pretty sure it is correct. I’ll get some closeup pics to send.

I used a brake line cleaner which is pretty flammable, was out of starting fluid, to check vacuum yesterday. What spray do you use?

Air filter is bone stock.

Will check vacuum pressure when I get a gauge, do I want a PSIG gauge.

Did not test every wire with light, will do that.

Thanks and have a great Sunday!
Steve

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

babywag wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm verify plug wires are correct firing order
check cam gear and distributor gear. have to remove distributor to check them.
if stripped/chewed teeth you'll never get it to run right.

many times aftermarket distributor gears eat up old cam gears.
After going thru Letanks list, I’ll do this if it gets that far, could possibly be that as I was told PO freshened motor with rings and had heads done, no knowledge on much else, don’t even know if top end changes were made at same time, could have been later (or sooner).

Thanks much!
Steve

letank

Post by letank »

custom76 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am
Yes, 1406, I’ll double check all plumbing, but pretty sure it is correct. I’ll get some closeup pics to send.

I used a brake line cleaner which is pretty flammable, was out of starting fluid, to check vacuum yesterday. What spray do you use?
Brake cleaner too
custom76 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am Air filter is bone stock.
make sure that the air flappers are operational and not obstructed, 76 should not be an issue, but who knows which air filter casing was installed, you can always run with the top off, unless there is a sandstorm brewing
custom76 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 am Will check vacuum pressure when I get a gauge, do I want a PSIG gauge.
Vacuum gauge units are in of Hg (mercury) the other scale can be mm of Hg, or get a hand vacuum pump, always useful to test all our vacuum operated gizmo.

Enjoy your day
Michel

dbx11

Post by dbx11 »

I had a major tuning problem before I decided to pull the engine and have another member rebuild it, It was pretty tired and the timing chain had stretched a lot causing ignition,timing issues. It would run but I always had problems I couldn’t iron out. If you can search for chain replacement symptoms it might lead you towards all of your issues.

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

dbx11 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:51 am I had a major tuning problem before I decided to pull the engine and have another member rebuild it, It was pretty tired and the timing chain had stretched a lot causing ignition,timing issues. It would run but I always had problems I couldn’t iron out. If you can search for chain replacement symptoms it might lead you towards all of your issues.
Thx, I’ll add it to my growing list!

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

letank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:26 am When you get it running.... you said edelbrock 600cfm, is it a 1406? Make sure that it is plumbed as per specs, the PCV valve layout is different than our stock 2150

I’m slow but steady, truck passed carb base leak test and vacuum holds steady at 16 1/2, on to strobe test next round, u may be on your way to those seals! Your contender seems to be cam gear post, only other I can think of is if my internal mechanical advance springs are weak or need adjusting (outside my pay grade). Thanks letank.

letank

Post by letank »

custom76 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:21 am

I’m slow but steady, truck passed carb base leak test and vacuum holds steady at 16 1/2, on to strobe test next round, u may be on your way to those seals! Your contender seems to be cam gear post, only other I can think of is if my internal mechanical advance springs are weak or need adjusting (outside my pay grade). Thanks letank.
16 1/2 steady is good, really steady is excellent in fact, when I had a wiped 2 flatten lobes on the cam it was about the same but with a lot of flutter and big puffs or unburn oil out the tailpipe after rapid throttle acceleration.

you can try to play with the idle mixture screw and see if the vacuum goes up a little 1/8 turn at a time.

Otherwise, on my project it was running fine after the camshaft swap, but after it reached operating temp it was stalling everytime I put in gear or at a stop sign, which did not happen with the wiped out cam lobes ... so I found the carb base leak... I say perfect, but It did it again after warm up... now I was 200 miles from base... dang... so I increased the idle speed and dealt with it ... to find out that the mixture was way too lean... it fixed the stalling after warm up.... to complete the story, I decided to check the main jet -I have the OEM carb 2150-, it was jetting for high altitude with #50... installed #55, but with the dam virus, there is really no place to go. Clean up the garage

Good luck
Michel