Visited the Jeep...and it broke!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
megaman_plums

Visited the Jeep...and it broke!

Post by megaman_plums »

Hello all!

It has been a while but felt it was time for a long overdue progress update. I have had some other stuff come up (like paying rent or having to eat). In that mean time, I have done stuff to my Jeep since my last post from a while ago.

viewtopic.php?t=12426

Since then, I have added an Aluminum Three row radiator, electric fans, HEI distributor, new spark plugs and wires, Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock 650 CFM carb, new gas tank, fuel lines, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

Anywhos, I decided that a mini vacation was in order so I went to my dad's place (where the Jeep is currently kept). After deciding to go from a quick drive we went to cycle the rear window (which was working fine three weeks before) and it decided to quit working in the fully down position.

Getting those damn clips were a pain! We ended up having to make a custom little tool in order to get them off.

We did check both the safety switch and the wiring as well. Everything was getting proper voltage, but things weren't working.

We finally got the glass out and went about inspecting everything. While the electric motor did work, we weren't thrilled with the connection. At some point someone had broken the plastic connector and soldered on the electrical hookups. We undid that handy work and fitted new electrical connections.

After all that work it finally all went back together smoothly.

So while we did not find one final culprit as to while the formerly working window decided to stop windowing, we agreed it was a combination of the safety switch being bad and the bad electrical connections to the window motor.

This allowed me to take it on one last final journey before I sadly had to head back to real life.

Anyways, just wanted to give an update and let everyone know the Jeep is still alive and working well. Next up on the agenda is alternator, steering rack upgrade/replacement/idkmybffjill, brakes, and the big one is suspension lift. I've been leaning towards BJ's 2.5 inch lift kit, but the pricing is not nice.

Hope all is well in your Jeeping world!

Signing off from Lake McClure

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Visited the Jeep...and it broke!

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, tail gate stuff is a paint to work on. Good to see its working now.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Beautiful cherokee, and the hei and radiator look great too. All my wagons have had tailgate "issues",
and they all got the relay treatment. GM tailgate switches are too tough to replace, so I took the load
off of them with reversing relays, usually used with door locks. One less headache. Times three.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ima be honest here. With carpet that bad on the tailgate.. i would just toss it in the trash.. sometimes it looks alot better without it lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

candymancan wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:52 am Ima be honest here. With carpet that bad on the tailgate.. i would just toss it in the trash.. sometimes it looks alot better without it lol
some of the carpet in mine is questionable....thankfully the tailgate is ok
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"