Wiring Diagrams, Redux

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
PossumJr

Wiring Diagrams, Redux

Post by PossumJr »

So I currently have plenty downtime at work and access to AutoCAD. I also can't stand the wiring diagrams provided in the 1979 service manual with how crowded they are. Usually there are simplified versions within the relevant section in the manual, but those can leave out the finer details, so I started doing my own diagrams breaking it down into particular areas (ignition, charging ckt, etc.) and thought I would see if anyone here would be interested in me sharing the results as I finish them, and hopefully also giving me feed back on anything I miss or have incorrect. Thoughts?
1979 J10, 360/QT

tgreese

Re: Wiring Diagrams, Redux

Post by tgreese »

Sounds like a noble endeavor. I personally have no use for the '79 diagrams, but I expect the main help for you will be in tracing out all the circuits so you understand them. I've been doing the wiring diagram tracing thing for nearly 50 years, and like you I wanted to make sense of the diagram way back when. I would copy the diagrams from shop manuals and use the copy machine at the library to blow them up to double size, and tape the sections together. Then I would use colored pencils to trace all the wires in the color specified by the diagram. Helped a lot.

Beware of transcription errors! Make sure the isolated circuits make sense in an electrical way. If not, you've likely made a mistake.

Also, the TSM has been known to include errors. Nothing like the frequent errors in the Haynes or Chiltons parts store books, but the TSM is not perfect.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

I have a 79 Cherokee and would love to see this! Definitely keep us posted. I'm sure there are several more out there that would put them to good use.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rapom

Post by rapom »

Another guy with a 79 cherokee chief that would like to see a better wiring diagram. I can't even find the seat belt light timer in the factory diagram.

Topic author
PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

rapom wrote:Another guy with a 79 cherokee chief that would like to see a better wiring diagram. I can't even find the seat belt light timer in the factory diagram.
Seat belt timer is shown as the connector in the diagram, it's located just below the light switch, should be located in E8. If you're using the TSM from oljeep.com, ignore the wiring diagram that's scanned in as its a total mess. Download the diagrams from under the "Electrical" section for 1979 as those are better scans without whole pieces of pages missing. I'll throw in a link to quick rough-in of that circuit if you need it in the mean time (need to open and zoom in as going from a .dwg to .pdf to .png isn't resolution friendly.

https://i.imgur.com/VVyfZSO.png

On that note, anyone know of a good place to put PDFs so that I can link urls for people to follow and download? My default for the moment is Google Drive but wasn't sure how that would work out.
1979 J10, 360/QT

rapom

Post by rapom »

Thanks for the link and advice!