Wide track fender flares

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
toothofwar

Wide track fender flares

Post by toothofwar »

In all of my digging in here, Google, bjsoffroad.com, and other sites I have found it impossible to find replacement metal flares for our rigs. I have found fiberglass ones on bjsoffroad.com, but I cant pull myself to go that route. So after talking to some friends and family an opportunity may be on the horizon. This is all in planning stages as of right now. My question to everyone is, if a person could produce quality metal fender flare replacements, would there be enough interest to go into a production run? In the upcoming months I am hoping to try out a prototype for myself, and will post some results once/if it happens. Let me know what you think. Here is some pick of my stack ones for a reference. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Wide track fender flares

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Yes... Interest should be strong in the FSJ community. Probably want to do trucks too.

tedlovesjeeps71

Yes... Interest should be strong in the FSJ community. Probably want to do trucks too.

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

The flares use 2 parts, inner and outer. Just making the inners could turn into a profitable endevor. They are not available anywhere. This would allow people to run fiberglass or your flares. Personally I would run with both items supplied by yourself.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Tooth, depending on your price point I would imagine they would sell like gangbusters...just browse the want ads here, IFSJA, and on some of the facebook groups to see that "what're the flares like?/How are the flares?/Can I get the flares from it?" are some very common questions whenever someone is parting out or selling a WT. Heck even NT owners might want them if converting theirs into WTs. :idea:
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I would be incredibly interested in several sets. But I would HIGHLY recommend making a set for Wagoneer NT conversions. I build a few of these Jeeps a year. If WT conversion rear flares were available I would literally convert every one of my Wagoneers to WT.

One question I do have is were the truck and the Cherokee rear flares different?
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

DustinLangston wrote:I would be incredibly interested in several sets. But I would HIGHLY recommend making a set for Wagoneer NT conversions. I build a few of these Jeeps a year. If WT conversion rear flares were available I would literally convert every one of my Wagoneers to WT.

One question I do have is were the truck and the Cherokee rear flares different?
I do not have the knowledge on the trucks to answer this, but if so, then if someone had a somewhat decent set to get accurate measurements from then I'll bring that information to everyone involved.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rapom

Post by rapom »

I would definitely be interested in one to use as a patch for my existing one.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

When we put the widetrack rear flares on my wagoneer, we only used the outers. May not be as resilient, but also not trapping water and gunk to rust out.

Start about 1/2 way down the page: https://www.pagecustoms.com/project/198 ... -wagoneer/

Also in the photos in the link in my signature.
Last edited by jpswapmohn on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

Someone on one of the FB FSJ pages someone was talking about doing the same project.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

jpswapmohn wrote:When we put the sidetrack rear flares on my wagoneer, we only used the outers. May not be as resilient, but also not trapping water and gunk to rust out.

Start about 1/2 way down the page: https://www.pagecustoms.com/project/198 ... -wagoneer/

Also in the photos in the link in my signature.
Do you have any new photos of your rig finished? It is amazing.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Unfortunately, no.

It went from the shop to my garage, parked (on carpet..my wife thought that was funny) and covered with microfiber blankets and a good car cover. It has been sitting/waiting ever since.

I am working 7hrs away from home, and traveling back/forth to CA about every other week. It has been a pretty hectic 4-5months! Life happens, Jeeps wait..

It has been quietly waiting for me to get back to it. I really wanted to take it to ECI this year, but I am not even going to make it.

I spend a lot of time dreaming about progress...if that counts. I will get ‘er done, just gotta find the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tedlovesjeeps71

jpswapmohn wrote:Life happens, Jeeps wait..

Requoted for truth!

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

7 months later :) I'd be really interested, I am designing my build, and I love the stance of the red jeep on the starting page of fsjnetwork! I can weld and fabricate and with the photo's of @jpswapmohn his build this seems doable. only thing, I'm in Europe and finding some j series flares is next to impossible here.
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

Unfortunately no news yet. Things have been slow moving forward. I wish I had better news for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SomeHumanBeing

Post by SomeHumanBeing »

:-bd

I think you’re going in the right direction! You can mark me down for a set!

Bagrebe

Post by Bagrebe »

Put me down to pre-order at least a couple sets! ;)

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

I have been prototyping and restoring sheet metal for more than 30 years. I have studied the flair and found reproducing it to be too costly, even with minimal tooling. There are new processes that I am only mildly familiar with that may change the prospect but I will leave that to someone younger, up-to-date and with more time to spend.

I think the prudent way to approach this endeavor is to make a repair patch that would replace only the bottom few inches. The front and rear ends of the flair are not the same but are similar. I think one could satisfy the need by making only two tools. One tool for the left front and one tool for the right front. The former could be used as a replacement for the right rear and the latter could be used for the left rear.

The trucks use the same flair as the Cherokee or rather the other way around. Jeep used the same J truck flair stamping for the Cherokee Widetrack. There are some who believe otherwise but they are incorrect. I believe the miss alignment issues they have had are for one or both of two reasons:

1 They are trying to fit the wrong side flair, there is a subtle difference between right and left sides.

2 They are trying to match the same weld locations from the truck onto the Cherokee. The shape of the body sides are different, especially near the bottom. On one of them (I believe the Cherokee) the flair is positioned about 1/4” farther outboard. I have done this swap and found they fit perfectly.

As far as the inner flair (this part is actually called the outer wheelhouse) this is fairly easy to make. With several overlapping relief cuts it is also easy to fit.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I dont have a cherokee.. but ive seen thrm in the junkyard.. They look pretty complicated in how they are welded on. More so than i thought from just seeing pics online
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

candymancan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:28 pm I dont have a cherokee.. but ive seen thrm in the junkyard.. They look pretty complicated in how they are welded on. More so than i thought from just seeing pics online
This is one of the main reasons I expect there to be limited sales of these flairs. I suspect many if not most potential buyers would then be faced with installation cost in addition to the high cost of the product. Then there are those who have the resources to do the wok themselves but are unwilling to spend the time or effort.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.