1414D Super Custom and 1414X Custom Special Wagoneers

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
WagScribe

Re: 1414D Super Custom and 1414X Custom Special Wagoneers

Post by WagScribe »

To my knowledge, a manual trans was not available in the 1414X but it was available in the previous model year Wagoneers. The "special ordered" thing usually does not pan out when you look at the documentation... but it's remotely possible. The most likely thing is that it was a transplant by a previous owner who could have sourced all the parts for a swap from an earlier Wagoneer. As you start playing with things, you will be able to see if someones been at it before. If you see NO signs that someone has been in there, well, maybe.

If you can post pics, post some of the "odd" options, or at least list them. The 1414X were offered as a special in 1971 to get rid of the last of the Buick powered rigs before the full changeover to AMC power, so the "special order" thing is very unlikely. By the way, what is the production date, please.

Also, what color is the interior and do the original seats have cloth inserts?
Jim Allen
Keeping the Good Old Days of Four-Wheeling Alive

1Moparlovet

Post by 1Moparlovet »

Hello everyone...like the gent above...I am not sure if this post is still active. I too just purchased a 1971 Jeep Wagoneer 1414X that was built in January of 1971. It is all original and rust free and seems to have all of the options listed on these models including the bat wing console pad...console, bucket seats and air conditioning. It has very low miles (48,000) but was repainted from the original lime color to gray. I took the carpet out to put a new one in and the original lime paint is in perfect condition...but it is ugly. My big question is should I return it to the original color or opt for something less outer space looking? Thanks! Brian

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

What a great version to get a hold of. If you wouldn't mind listing/posting your VIN and production date information that would be cool to have in the thread.
As for the color, depends on what you prefer...do you like the retro, but "ugly" lime/avocado color return it to the original (should have a paint/trim code tag on the engine firewall over by the hood hinge that will list what it came with)...or would you prefer something else? If you like the grey it is now, there is no harm in going with it. Either way is a win! :)
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Yep, I second the notion. Post the VIN and we can see how it fits into the production timeline. IMO, the 1414X has a fair bit of future appreciation potential so the more original you keep it, the higher your potential return would be on your investment.
Jim Allen

Quinandan

Post by Quinandan »

Yes I have one 1414X 300913 (last 6 digits). Has tapered axle shafts and suspect it was made in early 1968.

Quinandan

Post by Quinandan »

I also have the options Brochure that shows the later Mag Hubcaps for the Wagoneer's

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Quinandan wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:26 pm Yes I have one 1414X 300913 (last 6 digits). Has tapered axle shafts and suspect it was made in early 1968.
It was built a bit later. 1414X300913 would have been built in June of 1968. 1414X300601-301098 was the range for June. What color?
Jim Allen

Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

Does anyone know (as sparse is Jeep data is) what years and in what numbers custom specials were made?

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Alanjmt wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 pm Does anyone know (as sparse is Jeep data is) what years and in what numbers custom specials were made?
As was mentioned on the previous page here, it's all at: https://www.dispatchermagazine.com/supe ... -jim-allen
Jim Allen

Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

Picked these up today as a package deal. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

That's a SCORE my friend. If nothing else the parts but from what I can see they both look restorable. Is the blue one a Super also? If so, would like to know it's particulars too.

On the 1414X, and the other if it's also one,would you mind looking for a few things and reporting back so I can record it in a database? Refer to the article above.

1- Would like to know if the SSR&O tag is still under the hood and what the number is?
2- It looks like the seats have the perforated style upholstery but want to verify that.
3- was the armrest in the car somewhere? If so can you confirm it was the batwing style. Pretty sure it was but want to verify.
Jim Allen

Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

Sure. I’ll get a photo of the tag when I go to pick it up. Probably in the next week or so. No real condition status yet on the Super; I’ve seen it once or twice before but the tires are all flat and now it’s covered in snow. All the interior parts are there. The bat wing is behind the driver seat. Engine is gone. Missing one part of the super trim on the rear driver side. The blue one is not a super but it’s in very good condition. It’s a 70. Interior pic below. It is complete and supposedly has a rebuilt engine and transmission in it.

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Thanks! Yeah, you scored! Should be able to pick up a Buick 350 fairly easily.
Jim Allen

Totalperfwaggy

Post by Totalperfwaggy »

I have a complete drivetrain for sale out of my 70. Buick 350, TH400 Dana transfer case
And all the original bits.

Let me know.

Aaron

1970 Wagoneer
Second owner
Buick 350, th400 and all the stock bits
For now..............

Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

WagScribe wrote:That's a SCORE my friend. If nothing else the parts but from what I can see they both look restorable. Is the blue one a Super also? If so, would like to know it's particulars too.

On the 1414X, and the other if it's also one,would you mind looking for a few things and reporting back so I can record it in a database? Refer to the article above.

1- Would like to know if the SSR&O tag is still under the hood and what the number is?
2- It looks like the seats have the perforated style upholstery but want to verify that.
3- was the armrest in the car somewhere? If so can you confirm it was the batwing style. Pretty sure it was but want to verify.
Saw it again today, dragging home tomorrow. Where (and what) is the SSR&O tag?Image

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

SSR&O= Special Sales Request & Order. Only found on Jeeps with special equipment or features (special paint, for example). In your era it was typically below the tin VIN plate (see pic). It was attached with a pretty cheesy glue, so a lot are gone. If you look at the area, you may be able to see that a plate was attached. In your era, the number varies by the color, usually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Allen

Alanjmt

1414D Super Custom and 1414X Custom Special Wagoneers

Post by Alanjmt »

WagScribe wrote:SSR&O= Special Sales Request & Order. Only found on Jeeps with special equipment or features (special paint, for example). In your era it was typically below the tin VIN plate (see pic). It was attached with a pretty cheesy glue, so a lot are gone. If you look at the area, you may be able to see that a plate was attached. In your era, the number varies by the color, usually.
SSR&O Plate is gone...but I did get it and it’s brother hauled home today. Image

mud89

Post by mud89 »

WagScribe wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:49 am SSR&O= Special Sales Request & Order. Only found on Jeeps with special equipment or features (special paint, for example). In your era it was typically below the tin VIN plate (see pic). It was attached with a pretty cheesy glue, so a lot are gone. If you look at the area, you may be able to see that a plate was attached. In your era, the number varies by the color, usually.
I have not seen yet a 69 1414X with a SSO plate, the 69 was not a limited edition like a 68 or a 71

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

mud89 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 am
WagScribe wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:49 am SSR&O= Special Sales Request & Order. Only found on Jeeps with special equipment or features (special paint, for example). In your era it was typically below the tin VIN plate (see pic). It was attached with a pretty cheesy glue, so a lot are gone. If you look at the area, you may be able to see that a plate was attached. In your era, the number varies by the color, usually.
I have not seen yet a 69 1414X with a SSO plate, the 69 was not a limited edition like a 68 or a 71
I was just about to argue with you and then realized Avocado mist was not a 999 color. You're right.
Jim Allen

Alanjmt

Post by Alanjmt »

There is the remnants of the glue though right below the VIN tag