Speakers for early model Wagoneers.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckside

Speakers for early model Wagoneers.

Post by deckside »

So I reckon early year Wags only had a speaker in the dash…which appears to be the case with my 72. I’m on the fence with adding door speakers when I get the panels covered. Any one use under seat speaker boxes or anything else clever to improve the time in their rig?

JWestfall

Re: Speakers for early model Wagoneers.

Post by JWestfall »

I have 71 Wagoneer and I put 6 1/2" door speakers in the front and 6x9's in the rear cargo panels, plus an under-seat powered sub-woofer under the driver's seat and I love the sound. I didn't have to cut any metal for the door speakers, but I was making new panels already, so that made it a little easier. Running the wires to the door speakers was probably the biggest pain. I abandoned the dash speaker.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I also have no dash speaker; I have 4 way 6x9s front and rear, in the front doors and quarter panels. I also have custom door panels, but it is a SUPER subtle look in mine. I would recommend if you go this route and are ok with cutting the door, make the access hole in the door go farther forward; otherwise you wind up with the speakers right next to the seat, which is quite good at killing the sound. And don't use wooden brackets for them--the PO did it not me.

If you want REALLY good sound and volume control, probably do a screen rather than the upholstery over the hole in the door. If you want the original look, and/or don't plan on blasting music, the material over the speaker is fine.

Of course, I'm told the RetroSound radios suck, and I love the way mine sounds, so maybe I'm just crazy :P :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
deckside

Post by deckside »

Think Im going to run bluetooth adapter to amp. Amp out 6.5 up front, 6x9 rear and a 8" underseat powered sub.

SJohn
Vendor

Post by SJohn »

If you want factory speaker grilles they are available at Johnsonproductionjp.com in nutmeg, black or natural ABSImage

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Owner/Operator/Chief Engineer of Johnson Production FSJ Parts
https://www.johnsonproductionjp.com/

1986 J20 LS Swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=17875

1981 Cherokee Chief - Rustard - 2JZ swap
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=22981

Topic author
deckside

Post by deckside »

SJohn wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:20 pm If you want factory speaker grilles they are available at Johnsonproductionjp.com in nutmeg, black or natural ABSImage

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Those look great