Engine wiring harness

Area for General FSJ related chat.

dodgerammit

Re: Engine wiring harness

Post by dodgerammit »

What shape are your ground connections from the battery in? Make sure their mounting points are clean and numerous. Should have one to engine, one to core support, also tied to frame.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote:What shape are your ground connections from the battery in? Make sure their mounting points are clean and numerous. Should have one to engine, one to core support, also tied to frame.
I’m going to clean up my grounds. I’m using star washers but I will clean up the connections and add more if needed. I may need to move one of my grounds. It’s going from the battery to the AC bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

letank wrote:do you have a ground wire at the underside of the solenoid? it should be facing down.

you can crank directly, battery plus to S pole on the solenoid -ignition on, the engine should start- I use this for years when the ignition switch was finicky

Here is the 85, it is mounted stock which is reverse than yours, view from battery, and the light blue is the cranking signal, the red and white power the coil directly, there is some embossing on the solenoid with I and S
SolStarter85BroFSJx.jpg
I hate to ask, but how are you grounding your solenoid? Where is the ground connecting to from the bottom of the solenoid? Is it from the bottom of the solenoid to the ground on the battery?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a solenoid that grounds to the inner fender through the bracket (SS581 type), and there is a solenoid that looks the same but has a terminal on the bottom that goes to a neutral safety switch. Pretty sure Jeep did not use the type with the extra terminal - maybe.

SS581-type: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 78&jsn=271
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

tgreese wrote:There is a solenoid that grounds to the inner fender through the bracket (SS581 type), and there is a solenoid that looks the same but has a terminal on the bottom that goes to a neutral safety switch. Pretty sure Jeep did not use the type with the extra terminal - maybe.

SS581-type: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 78&jsn=271
I have the SS582. Oreilly sold me that because it’s automatic. Is it the wrong one?

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

Thank you all so much for your patience. I grounded the brass connector to the base of the solenoid and was able to start it. I’m not upset about having a new starter, new solenoid, new battery cables, new battery, new ignition switch. Lol. At least I have some peace of mind when it comes to the starting system. I’ve recently replaced the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, transmission seals and filter, new oil pump. I have the TFI ignition upgrade that I will install this weekend now that she runs. Oh, and the new radiator, hoses, water pump, and thermostat will go on soon as well.

letank

Post by letank »

Texxxan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:52 pm
I don’t have a grounding wire on the solenoid. I will add one tomorrow and see how that works out. Thank you.

Ideally the base of the solenoid is the ground, but after some year model (guessing 79 or 80) and extra ground stud was added to the solenoid, it is on the opposite side of the S and I wires. My 74 does not have a solenoid ground wire and it cranks fine.

try to loosen the solenoid and use a file to make some clean contact between the fender and the solenoid base
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

letank wrote:
Texxxan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:52 pm
I don’t have a grounding wire on the solenoid. I will add one tomorrow and see how that works out. Thank you.

Ideally the base of the solenoid is the ground, but after some year model (guessing 79 or 80) and extra ground stud was added to the solenoid, it is on the opposite side of the S and I wires. My 74 does not have a solenoid ground wire and it cranks fine.

try to loosen the solenoid and use a file to make some clean contact between the fender and the solenoid base
I cleaned all the base area and added 2 grounds. The base to the fender ground that has a ground there to the battery and also a ground from the other side of the base to the copper fitting behind the solenoid. She starts fast now. No issues starting up and running. I’m going to clean up a few wires I noticed needing some repair and then a good tune up and cooling system overhaul. After that, the cosmetics will be next. I’m not going for perfect, just better.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Texxxan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 am I have the SS582. Oreilly sold me that because it’s automatic. Is it the wrong one?
Yes, you have the wrong part. You want the SS581. Your parts store made an assumption rather than looking at the listings, and gave you the wrong part. You can ground the terminal on the bottom and it will work, as you found out.

According to the aftermarket listings, some Jeeps '80-83 used the SS582. Not your year.

Glad you're on the air again! :-bd
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

tgreese wrote:
Texxxan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 am I have the SS582. Oreilly sold me that because it’s automatic. Is it the wrong one?
Yes, you have the wrong part. You want the SS581. Your parts store made an assumption rather than looking at the listings, and gave you the wrong part. You can ground the terminal on the bottom and it will work, as you found out.

According to the aftermarket listings, some Jeeps '80-83 used the SS582. Not your year.

Glad you're on the air again! :-bd
Thank you. On to the next hidden problem. Lol.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Hopefully, you haven't thrown out those other parts. Just shelve them for an emergency.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:30 am Hopefully, you haven't thrown out those other parts. Just shelve them for an emergency.
I definitely kept them. Even the starter. It had a $15 core charge but it’s worth more to me to keep it. Thank you for your help.