Engine wiring harness

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Texxxan

Engine wiring harness

Post by Texxxan »

Does anyone know if the engine wiring harness is the same on an 88 Wagoneer as an 84 Wagoneer? Both with 360 engines.

dodgerammit

Re: Engine wiring harness

Post by dodgerammit »

Not exactly the same, but could be possibly made to work.

Oljeep has the wire colors as different. May not be a big deal, but you'd have to watch what goes where to make dang sure nothing got crossed or left out.

The big iffy part is the firewall connection and if terminal locations changed between the years.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

OP - What do you have now? What do you need?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

dodgerammit wrote:Not exactly the same, but could be possibly made to work.

Oljeep has the wire colors as different. May not be a big deal, but you'd have to watch what goes where to make dang sure nothing got crossed or left out.

The big iffy part is the firewall connection and if terminal locations changed between the years.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

tgreese wrote:OP - What do you have now? What do you need?
There is some cut and exposed wires going to the alternator. My Jeep suddenly won’t start. I replaced the solenoid, the starter, new battery cables, new battery terminals. Still won’t start. I tried starting it in neutral and nothing. The power windows, lights etc still work though.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Did you cut the wires? Did you change anything? From you pictures, the wiring looks in excellent condition to me. IMO you are wasting your time and effort to change parts that may or may not be the same, when you have not diagnosed the problem.

When you say won't start, do you mean it won't crank or it cranks and doesn't start? The TSM has flow charts for diagnosing this problem.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

tgreese wrote:Did you cut the wires? Did you change anything? From you pictures, the wiring looks in excellent condition to me. IMO you are wasting your time and effort to change parts that may or may not be the same, when you have not diagnosed the problem.

When you say won't start, do you mean it won't crank or it cranks and doesn't start? The TSM has flow charts for diagnosing this problem.
I didn’t cut any wires or add anything. It’s only cut to the alternator. I just fixed them. The Jeep is not cranking at all.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Do you have a multimeter or a test light? Could be coincidental. I would measure that the small "S" terminal on the top of the solenoid is getting power when you turn the key to start. If it is, you can jump between the battery and big starter terminal on the solenoid with a jumper cable and see if it cranks. If not, I would put the battery on an overnight charge, and try it again.

Suggest you post up a picture of what you reconnected, and note the wire colors.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

tgreese wrote:Do you have a multimeter or a test light? Could be coincidental. I would measure that the small "S" terminal on the top of the solenoid is getting power when you turn the key to start. If it is, you can jump between the battery and big starter terminal on the solenoid with a jumper cable and see if it cranks. If not, I would put the battery on an overnight charge, and try it again.
I charged my battery overnight and tried jumping from the positive side of the battery to the starter and nothing. I’ve had the starter tested and came up good. The batter has 12.6 volts. So far, I’ve changed out all my battery cables, new solenoid, new starter, new ignition switch. I cleaned up exposed wires and replaced the alternator pig tail. I have a new neutral safety switch that I haven’t installed yet. I haven’t replaced the key lock cylinder yet. I get a feeling it’s something simple, but have yet to figure it out.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Assuming the starter is good, if it does not run from the battery .... you have to assume the problem is with the battery. Voltage on the battery does not tell you a lot. You need current to run the starter. The battery will show the full 12.6 volts even if it's mostly drained or defective. Do you have another battery? Or you could charge it and take it to your local auto parts store for load testing.

You can take the starter out and run it with the battery and your jumper cables on the shop floor. However, with the starter in the Jeep, and (+) jumped directly to the starter, that's pretty much the same.
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

I’ll take my battery to Oreilly. I still have a warranty on it.

letank

Post by letank »

a small booster pack works wonder, the little ones no bigger than 2 packs of cigarettes. I used mine on neighbour's Mercedes, same case, battery read 12.6v, but upon trying to crank , battery dropped to oblivion and the solenoid never clicked.
Otherwise jumper cables from a good battery.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

letank wrote:a small booster pack works wonder, the little ones no bigger than 2 packs of cigarettes. I used mine on neighbour's Mercedes, same case, battery read 12.6v, but upon trying to crank , battery dropped to oblivion and the solenoid never clicked.
Otherwise jumper cables from a good battery.
I just installed a new battery and no luck.

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

Topic author
Texxxan

Engine wiring harness

Post by Texxxan »

The brass connector on the back of the solenoid isn’t connected to anything. The old solenoid had no brass connector behind it. Could this be the problem?

letank

Post by letank »

do you have a ground wire at the underside of the solenoid? it should be facing down.

you can crank directly, battery plus to S pole on the solenoid -ignition on, the engine should start- I use this for years when the ignition switch was finicky

Here is the 85, it is mounted stock which is reverse than yours, view from battery, and the light blue is the cranking signal, the red and white power the coil directly, there is some embossing on the solenoid with I and S
SolStarter85BroFSJx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Texxxan

Post by Texxxan »

letank wrote:do you have a ground wire at the underside of the solenoid? it should be facing down.

you can crank directly, battery plus to S pole on the solenoid -ignition on, the engine should start- I use this for years when the ignition switch was finicky

Here is the 85, it is mounted stock which is reverse than yours, view from battery, and the light blue is the cranking signal, the red and white power the coil directly, there is some embossing on the solenoid with I and S
SolStarter85BroFSJx.jpg
I don’t have a grounding wire on the solenoid. I will add one tomorrow and see how that works out. Thank you.