1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
BSpoons24

1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by BSpoons24 »

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a 1987 Jeep Grand "Swagoneer" and I am in love with it. I live on the Outer Banks and I have wanted a beach vehicle for a long time so I traded in my Camry and bought this beast. I am by no means a "car guy" but I am hoping to have this Jeep be my first step into learning more about cars in general. The Jeep is in pretty solid shape considering how old it is and the deal I got on it. It for sure needs some TLC and some what I am hoping are minor fixes/updates. Rear window door issues, radio/antenna issues, a few minor rust areas, etc. I apologize in advance for any really dumb questions I may post in here but I am really excited and also pretty clueless. I have a new antenna and mast, gear shift indicator, and two door handle replacements coming by the end of the week. Can't wait to take this thing out on the beach ASAP. Any advice for a new owner would be much appreciated. Thank You!
Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 9.20.30 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
BSpoons24

Re: 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by BSpoons24 »

I will throw a lead in question out there to give a base line of where I am at.... what is the easiest way to access the antenna so I can take out the old one and put in the new one.

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

BSpoons24 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:13 am I will throw a lead in question out there to give a base line of where I am at.... what is the easiest way to access the antenna so I can take out the old one and put in the new one.
I can probably help you with the rear window and antenna issues. We can start with the antenna first. What do you currently have there? And what are you replacing? Do you have the bezel cover and the antenna mast base that has 4 screws that screw into the body still on there? If you have all of that and the cable is still attached to the mast base. If it is all still factory you can unscrew those 4 screws after you pop the bezel off. Once you get the four screws off you can gently pull up on the base as long as there is some slack in the antenna cable. If you can reach the cable and it is factory, it will unplug from the mast base. You can tape the two cables together end to end to make sure you are not creating something too big to fit through there. It is good to have a second person, but if it is only you, tape off any sharp edges that the cable may be going through on the body and pull the old cable from the inside and fish the new cable to the radio. Unplug the old cable from the radio and plug the new one back in. Install the gasket and mast base, then the bezel and finally install your antenna.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
BSpoons24

Post by BSpoons24 »

runuover86gw wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:39 am
BSpoons24 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:13 am I will throw a lead in question out there to give a base line of where I am at.... what is the easiest way to access the antenna so I can take out the old one and put in the new one.
I can probably help you with the rear window and antenna issues. We can start with the antenna first. What do you currently have there? And what are you replacing? Do you have the bezel cover and the antenna mast base that has 4 screws that screw into the body still on there? If you have all of that and the cable is still attached to the mast base. If it is all still factory you can unscrew those 4 screws after you pop the bezel off. Once you get the four screws off you can gently pull up on the base as long as there is some slack in the antenna cable. If you can reach the cable and it is factory, it will unplug from the mast base. You can tape the two cables together end to end to make sure you are not creating something too big to fit through there. It is good to have a second person, but if it is only you, tape off any sharp edges that the cable may be going through on the body and pull the old cable from the inside and fish the new cable to the radio. Unplug the old cable from the radio and plug the new one back in. Install the gasket and mast base, then the bezel and finally install your antenna.
I have attached a few pictures of the current antenna situation and here is a link to what I purchased.

https://teamgrandwagoneer.com/antenna-w ... 1974-1991/

hopefully I didn't buy the completely wrong thing. So the radio does work but it has really bad static and the current antenna kind of just flops around as soon as you start driving. The picture is about as far as I can pull the antenna out. The parts are supposed to come on Saturday so I can try to follow those steps when they get here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
BSpoons24

Post by BSpoons24 »

Running into an issue of not enough slack on the cable to get the antenna out. Have a feeling I may have to figure out how to take the dash out.

letank

Post by letank »

BSpoons24 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:08 am Running into an issue of not enough slack on the cable to get the antenna out. Have a feeling I may have to figure out how to take the dash out.
there is a staple or a metal crimp to prevent the antenna cable from being pulled out... and a grommet on the kick panel above the inside vent grille... so you need to pop the grommet... which usually means dropping the AC unit -no need to disconnect the AC hoses-

the inside vent looks like this

and here with the kick panel removed, you can see or guess the crimp, larger images on my body work link below

After some low life broke off the antenna to use as a slim jim, I installed an inside antenna... works fine... I had to plug the antenna mast hole
antennaPaint5BroFSJ.jpg
BTW nice waggy, welcome from the left coast
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

freehold

Post by freehold »

Hello and nice looking rig! You're going to love having that thing out on the OBX beaches.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
BSpoons24

Post by BSpoons24 »

Thanks for all of the messages everyone. I am currently finishing up work for the season so my Jeep time is limited. (I run a Seasonal restaurant in Outerbanks that will be closing end of October)

I just got my shipment from Team Grand Wagoneer yesterday so Im planning on getting into that radio antenna as well as some of the other minor fixes. I will be back with plenty of questions I am sure. (hopefully not too dumb haha)

Thanks again.

Topic author
BSpoons24

Post by BSpoons24 »

Well I took the Wagoneer out on the beach for the first time and it was awesome... but it came at a price. I now have a grinding noise that sounds like it is coming from the steering column when I turn the wheel. Any insight as to what to look into first? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Update: It sounds like it is something right around the steering wheel and gear shifter. The noise can only be heard inside the car and happens when I turn the wheel as well as when I shift gears. Almost just sounds like something in there maybe got knocked around when I was on the beach and it is rubbing when something moves in that area?

letank

Post by letank »

Is there is a difference if the jeep is moving or stationary...

Is the column tightened all the way to the underneath dash brace...

missing bushing(s) on the transmission shifter... but those are in the engine bay...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

My guess is dirt on the brush for the horn button. I have a similar issue with my open top bronco.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909