Right side of tailgate stuck - 79 Chief

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Hi! Does anyone have a trick for getting one side (passenger) of the tailgate (79 Chief) unstuck. I took the middle panel off but that is just the window gears. Is there another panel that will give me access. Or should I put a long screwdriver down behind the window? Any ideas are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letank

Re: Right side of tailgate stuck - 79 Chief

Post by letank »

previous issues

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202351

and my take at that time

time to spray whatever will derust and lube that latch spring... it is very hard to reach and see... you might be lucky to add a few "straws" to that pb blaster red straw to reach the offending spring... try from the outside as well.
As for the bad news, many years ago, I resorted to the big crow bar to bend the tailgate lip and unjammed the bugger... on the 74...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

letank wrote:previous issues

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202351

and my take at that time

time to spray whatever will derust and lube that latch spring... it is very hard to reach and see... you might be lucky to add a few "straws" to that pb blaster red straw to reach the offending spring... try from the outside as well.
As for the bad news, many years ago, I resorted to the big crow bar to bend the tailgate lip and unjammed the bugger... on the 74...
I just went to town on it from the outside and couldn’t get it to budge. I took a pry bar and tried to separate the body from the tailgate. I believe it is the circle that is on the tailgate side that slides into the groove on the body that needs to budge. I don’t want to resort to bending the lip yet. I spent 20 minutes on it. I’ll give it another go soon.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Every now and then my cherokee had this issue, and it was typically a result of one of two things.

1: Not being on flat ground. Any sort of chassis flex would make the tail gate hang.
2: My tailgate had side-to-side slop. If it moved too far over in one direction, it could get hung. I would need to try and push it to be more centered to get it unhung. It normally resulted in me grabbing the window crank or edge of the tail gate and giving it some jerks to one side or the other.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

spray large amounts of 50/50 acetone/ATF -dextron- it is as good as pb blaster
Michel

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Run the window up so you can see the latch from the inside. Probably need a mirror or take a video with a phone. Observer how the handle operates the latch to release it and actuate it by hand or other tool up there on the inside.

Might get more movement on the latch that way than the through the worn, possibly bent or misadjusted linkage. Spray your favorite sticky bolt goo on the latch first from the inside.

Don't firget to run the window back down before opening the tailgate.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

SJTD wrote:Run the window up so you can see the latch from the inside. Probably need a mirror or take a video with a phone. Observer how the handle operates the latch to release it and actuate it by hand or other tool up there on the inside.

Might get more movement on the latch that way than the through the worn, possibly bent or misadjusted linkage. Spray your favorite sticky bolt goo on the latch first from the inside.

Don't firget to run the window back down before opening the tailgate.
I’m going to take another go at it soon! I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

I spent a hour on it tonight and I think I understand what needs to happen. I thought it would be helpful for someone in the future if I posted pictures.

On the inside of the tailgate take off the large panel in the center. You can then see the following mechanism when you look inside all the way to the left and right. Ideally, when you pull your lever up the stopping piece moves out of the way and your gear rotates 90 degrees to the next groove.

My gear is stuck. When I pull the lever or activate it with a screwdriver from the inside my gear only rotated a small amount. I soaked it in Wd-40 and I’m going to let it sit overnight. The picture below is how it is sitting overnight. I got the gear to go past the first tooth. I need it to rotate counter clockwise an inch to the next tooth.

Let me know if I have something wrong or am missing something!

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

That deformed spring in there is not right, it looks like someone was trying to fix it before. Original spring is probably 10 times stronger, that’s probably the reason of your troubles with the latch
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Here’s a picture to give you an idea how it’s supposed to be looking

I couldn’t find any pics from when I replaced mine, so here’s a random pic off eBay
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

sirrus wrote:That deformed spring in there is not right, it looks like someone was trying to fix it before. Original spring is probably 10 times stronger, that’s probably the reason of your troubles with the latch
I figured it something was wrong with it by the way it looks. Do you think it is possible to replace the spring with a store bought one or do you think I need to find a replacement setup?

Here is what the side that works looks like.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

You know, now that I think aboot it I realize the latch won't rotate all the way with the gate closed. I has to rotate as you pull it open so the glass has to come down. Maybe it's loosened enough now or in a position where it'll rotate easier with a good yank.

Looks like you're making progress, though.

I was going to say the glass has to come out so you can get at the latch with the thing closed but that can't happen except with a hammer.

The spring isn't hurting you at this point. It helps the thing latch when you close it so once you get it apart you can worry about it.

Does the lever move the latch enough for it to unlatch? If not maybe do some bending or wedge the latch open so you can do some back and forth on the the tailgate and it'll prolly let go.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

SJTD wrote:You know, now that I think aboot it I realize the latch won't rotate all the way with the gate closed. I has to rotate as you pull it open so the glass has to come down. Maybe it's loosened enough now or in a position where it'll rotate easier with a good yank.

Looks like you're making progress, though.

I was going to say the glass has to come out so you can get at the latch with the thing closed but that can't happen except with a hammer.

The spring isn't hurting you at this point. It helps the thing latch when you close it so once you get it apart you can worry about it.

Does the lever move the latch enough for it to unlatch? If not maybe do some bending or wedge the latch open so you can do some back and forth on the the tailgate and it'll prolly let go.
Good point! I made the mistake of taking out the 2 screws that hold the lever mechanism in place so I’ve been using my hand on the inside to pull the holding tooth back. I need to see if I can wedge
Something in to keep it open, then roll the glass up, then give it a go from the outside. Hoping I can get a little time today to give it a try!

letank

Post by letank »

some fulcrum device watchyoumakeitof aka Rube Goldberg could help you rotate that clicker... but it is so far away... this is why in the end... the crow bar did the job. May be with a little more patience than I have you will succeed

You will find some spring that does the job
Michel

Topic author
Jwillis

Post by Jwillis »

Success!!! I took some painters tape and folded it over itself so it was about 1/2 inch thick. From the inside With the window up I reached inside the tailgate and I moved the lever down and shoved the tape in the groove that would cause the lever to stay down. Went outside Rolled down the window and gave the tailgate a solid yank and it came down. Thanks to you all and WD-40 for making this possible. Image