Padding between roof and roof supports

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Triumph215

Padding between roof and roof supports

Post by Triumph215 »

Finally turning the corner (I hope) on mechanical repairs for a little while and able to turn attention to other things. What is the material between the roof and the roof supports? Is it supposed to cover/be glued to the entire roof? I removed the worn out headliner and the (insulation?) has been cut away except where the supports are and even there is collapsed enough to rattle quite a bit.
Lots of surface rust up there but I have a plan for that.
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

weeegoneeer

Re: Padding between roof and roof supports

Post by weeegoneeer »

If it looks like squares of rubber sitting in between the cross bracing, guessing it was initially glued to the roof to deaden vibration. When I redid my headliner there were rubber squares just sitting on top of the headliner board, upgraded with dynamat.

There was also old foam on the cross bracing itself, which I replaced with some adhesive weatherstripping purchased at the local Ace Hardware. I think this is what you're talking about.

I have an '84 though, '77 might be different.
1984 GW

letank

Post by letank »

74', or 85, they all that weird rectangle of roofing like patching dampening material, as said above, it is supposed to prevent the roof supports to hammer the roof
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

83wagonizer

Post by 83wagonizer »

I've sound deadened my roof and added a layer of self adhesive foam to insulate

Topic author
Triumph215

Post by Triumph215 »

I have some pretty healthy surface rust up there I have to deal with. It’ll be interesting to see what will stick up there after I POR 15 it.
1964 Triumph TR4 with 1964 Olds 215 heart transplant
1977 Wagoneer
2009 BMW GS1200

JohnnySwell

Post by JohnnySwell »

83wagonizer wrote:I've sound deadened my roof and added a layer of self adhesive foam to insulate
What kind of sound deadening did you use? I know a bunch of them tend to have a really bad smell.

Also what self adhesive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny B

1978 Cherokee Chief

I'd love some input on my build here:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 12&t=20266

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I’m not 83wagonizer, but I also did some soundproofing on my rig (all doors, rear quarters, rear floor and whole roof).

There are 2 types of sound deadeners - asphalt based (stuff that you can buy cheap at Lowe’s and the like and butyl based. Asphalt based stinks badly and might fall off in height temperatures. Butyl based doesn’t have these problems, but is a bit more expensive. I used Kilmat and very happy with it after one year, no smell or other issues. I also put a layer of CCF over kilmat as an extra. Check my build thread (link in the sig) for details
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy