Scrapping a vehicle with no title?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Scrapping a vehicle with no title?

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Has anyone done it?
I have a chance to buy a 93 gmc c3500, 2wd, 454, 5 speed for a song. It has been setting in the weeds for about 5+ years. It would be for parts only, keep what I want, sell what I can on craigslist, then scrap the rest.
The story goes as this. I was helping a friend/co-worker haul off some trash to his fathers place to be burnt in a burn pile he has. I saw the truck in the weeds and inquired about it. His father says his nephew was renting some property to some guy. The guy up and leaves, and leaves the truck. They tried and tried to contact him for a long time with no luck. After so long, his nephew and him hauled it to his place and it has been setting there ever since.
For what I can get it for, I can make out pretty nice on the part out. The only issue I see is the no title. I do not want to hand over any cash untill I can get either get the title or some legal way to scrap it, cause its my understanding that scrap yards will not take a vehicle unless you have the title for it.
It looks like I have very few options. It looks like I could apply for a abandond vehicle title. But from reading about that online, it looks like it is a stupid and crazy number of long drawn out hoops you have to jump through to do it.
It looks like I cant apply for a salvage title unless I own it. Correct me if I am wrong?
I thought about towing/storage lein or something of those sorts. But it looks like you have to be a licenced tow company to do that.
I guess the first thing to do would be to try and find out what info I can on the truck. I wrote down the vin. Where could I go to pull the record on it? Police, dmv? Just want to make sure the guy hasnt tried to report it stolen after these years.
Is there anything legaly he can do to get or help get the title since it has been in storage on his property for so many years?
I heard that you can cut up a vehicle into peices and can then haul it off with no title. That would take a long time and be a lot of work.
Any other suggestions?
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.

jsinajeep

Re: Scrapping a vehicle with no title?

Post by jsinajeep »

In AZ if you have a partial vehicle[after you take some parts off] you can cut the vehicle into four pieces an scrap it.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The last one I did, we cut the frame in front of the bed and made a trailer out of it. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

husker77

Post by husker77 »

Here we can haul it in complete without a title, the scrap yard prefers one for "just in case" but they will take it. I don't think I have ever taken a title with anything I have scrapped.

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Remove the dash and the door plate, and bring in ANY GM truck title. Doesn't need to match...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jsinajeep wrote:In AZ if you have a partial vehicle[after you take some parts off] you can cut the vehicle into four pieces an scrap it.
That's the same as it is up here in Washington State- but not every scrapper will take them, you have to call around to make sure it's a recycler that will take vehicles without titles.

nc wagoneer

Post by nc wagoneer »

In nc we didn't need the title for the maxima I pulled my motor from.

Sent from my Motorola Moto X
77 J20 flatbed FOR SALE
"old blue" 79 waggy-sitting in Jake's full size jeep junkyard, traded for j20 parts
Also:
1986 Isuzu Trooper Factory Diesel/5 Speed
1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (weekend toy)
1984 GMC Suburban K10 6.2 Diesel/700r4/np208
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
"Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial"

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

In AZ if you have a partial vehicle[after you take some parts off] you can cut the vehicle into four pieces an scrap it.

X3 Thats how we do it here. strip what you can sell, cut in a couple chunks, and haul it off.
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Heck, just get it and get the parts you want and then drag it on to the side of the road and let the State have it :D

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Yea, the title thing in NC is kind of screwed up. I rented a house to a guy that I had ajoining property next to. on the ajoining property I had a 86 Montie Carlo SS and a 77 Dodge W150 Power Wagon parked. The sneaky SOB sold both of them to a scrapper and left the state with no titles. Neither vehicle was scrap. Both of them run quite well. The Montie only had a dent in the rear quarterpanel that I could straighten out in about 10 minutes. The Dodge was a factory big block 440 with stepside bed. The only thing wrong with it was the front drive shaft needed joints. I told the cops around here that they better get him before I do. All I can say is if I get him, he's gonna have a VERY bad day. Like Stallone said in one of his movies "Your gonna regret this the rest of your life....... Both seconds of it. :evil:
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Jeeptchr

Post by Jeeptchr »

Depends on the scrapyard here in MO as to if you need a title or not. Most backwoods places don't worry that much. Also, bills of sale sometimes will work instead.

myther

Post by myther »

I have scrapped a couple vehicles in Ca and both times I have had someone haul it away (that i found on craigslist.) I merely signed a bill of sale and they took it off of my hands.

Manimal70

Post by Manimal70 »

I have scrapped about 4-5 trucks this year without titles. I just them up and haul them into the recycler. They told me as long as it does not look like a vehicle anymore,then it is either tin for the sheetmetal or #1 for the rest. So I cut the cab in quarters and the frame in 3 pieces,load in the bed and haul away on the car trailer.

Herk

Post by Herk »

In Idaho, about the easiest thing you can do without a title is scrap it. When I part something out that's how I get rid of the hulk. I call the wrecker, it goes away, the driver gets the scrap value of whats left (and any remaining parts) and I get one less dead car in the yard.

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

I'm gonna try and call some scrap yards this week and see how it goes.
Also, I want to run the vin and make sure they guy never reported it stolen or anything. What would be the best way to do this? DMV or police?
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's

Manimal70

Post by Manimal70 »

DMV.....a LIEN sale can always be done for storage fees...in Cali I think it's 10-15 a day...add that up for 5+ years!=18000+ dollars.....if the guy wants his truck back, he has to pay it...if not it's YOURS. Usually takes 30 days for all paperwork to be done. So if you can wait that long, then do it...if not, cut it up and scrap it...YOU make the money.

Topic author
JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Found a couple different sites online you can do a free vin check. Ran the vin on two sites and it came back clean on both.
Also called a local scrap yard and told them I had a old junk truck I need to haul off and wondered if I would need the title to bring it to them. She asked what year and when I told her she said no, just bring it on in.
Get paid next week so hopefully should get it next weekend. I have a friend that is gonna let me store it at his place to part it out, since I cant put it at my place.

techyblogg

Post by techyblogg »

This is one website where you can sell your scrap car https://scrapcartorontoshop.ca and get paid.

laybamustansar

Post by laybamustansar »

Cut it up into smaller pieces and bring it to a scrap yard little by little. Generally as long as you're not disposing of a whole car all at once, there is no need for a title, it's just scrap metal to them.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

In Florida they need a title. Ive scrapped several vehicles at the same time with one title but I have also had them send me away because I had too much material [less than half] without a title. Obviously, its different in every state