Southern CJ Jeep Sale and Swap Meet

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Southern CJ Jeep Sale and Swap Meet

Post by Harry Dawg »

For those of y'all in the South East that have an 86 and older Jeep, this is a great event to attend.

CJ parts out the Wazoo, and just a great time in general. The hosts, Dawn and Jody have dedicated themselves to all things Jeep, and they hold the event twice anually at their farm.

I picked up a set of wheels and tires, and a Corbeu racing harness.

Here's pics of my wheels, and some of the rides there. ( Some photos are not mine. I pulled some from the event recap FB post just to spread the word)

INFO REQUESTED ON LAST PIC. I've never encountered the S.E.V. Marchal brand. Limited info on the internet. Is this a popular brand? Definitely looks vintage.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2448178 ... 2e7170.jpg[/IMG]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Harry Dawg on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Southern CJ Jeep Sale and Swap Meet

Post by Stuka »

Thats a really clean Eagle.

For the SEV Marchal lights, they were very big in European racing for a long time. From after WW2 up until the late 70's, then they merged with another company. You can buy their lights again now, but its just a name, not the same company. So those lights could be vintage, or brand new.

More info here if you like: https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorspor ... black-cat/
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Thanks for the info.

That is interesting that lights with origins in the Euro circuit would eventually make their way into the American off-road scene.

While I really like logo, I also enjoy using period correct parts / products with roots in America.
It doesn't seem right to bastardize my Jeep OR the S.E.V Marchal brand by putting them on a vehicle they have no business being on.

Typically I have no interest in foreign automotive parts / history, but I have finally found something imported to be impressed by!
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

letank

Post by letank »

the SEV were standard OEM on the Gwag which had the fog lights installed from the factory.

The euro headlights have the extra angled light beam on the right side, and left side if you are in the UK. As lighting is concerned most of the euros headlights, fog light and other high beam were so different from the DOT approved headlight, the euro pattern had a lot more coverage with a defined pattern.

check the prices on dabay for SEV headlights...

In my motorcycle days, the SEV fog light as a add-on was impressive, yes was, we only added one fog light to supplement the weak OEM lights, or like a FSJ an added circuit with a relay !
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Hello LeTank.

After doing some more digging, I did see where a few sets of SEV lights on eBay that were reportedly factory Grand Wagoneer take offs.
The prices are STEEP for a set of these... I might should have bought the bumper just to get the lights off it.
I still couldn't find any parts catalogue that listed these lights as a factory option, but it seems like the Marchal 850 was what most vehicles came with. Apparently the Laredo models used chrome housings and the base was black.

It seems that I should retract my statement regarding these lights having no business on a Jeep! I have a first Gen Gladiator, so it is still not period correct unfortunatley. However, if I ever get a pig nose J10 or Wagon, I will most definitely be adorning the front end with a set of these (with the lens cover shown above. Very cool logo)

Interesting about the extra angled beam. I can't say I am necessarily a fan of that, but I can see the benefits to on-road driving. I don't know if there would be any added performance to the rally / short course racers that these lights were traditionally applied to, as everyone would be going the same way.

Such a niche topic, but it is always the small details that have so much depth.
Thanks for your input.

letank

Post by letank »

Harry Dawg wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:53 am I will most definitely be adorning the front end with a set of these (with the lens cover shown above. Very cool logo)

Interesting about the extra angled beam. I can't say I am necessarily a fan of that, but I can see the benefits to on-road driving. I don't know if there would be any added performance to the rally / short course racers that these lights were traditionally applied to, as everyone would be going the same way.
You're welcome, for sure a nice logo. The later years came equipped with the ROL brand and the black cover had jeep in white lettering, not too fancy!

As for the extra side beam, it is very useful on open road at night on unfamiliar mountain highways with oncoming traffic, add a little bad weather, you will avoid the shoulder or the cliff, as most mountain highways do no have guard rails... I mounted some Hella H4 after a bad weekend drive!
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)