WARNING: SCAMER STALKING THIS BOARD

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
scientist_bob

WARNING: SCAMER STALKING THIS BOARD

Post by scientist_bob »

Wanted to let everyone know on this board about me getting ripped off from the post where I wanted a J10 tailgate bezel. I was approached by someone who got my email and what I was looking for from my post here. It all seemed on the up and up, he had what I needed at a reasonable price. But, instead of PayPal, he wanted to use apple pay or zelle. At the time, I didn't know they didn't offer buyer protection like PayPal. Like an idiot, I sent him the money. He then disappeared for a week and then demanded more money for shipping -- with his original offer he would cover shipping. I refused and told him to send me the money back. He's now disappeared.

Here is all the contact information that I have for him and his Zelle and Apple Pay accounts that he gave me. The "cell" number is really a voice over internet protocol phone, so not a real number (that I found out after the fact....).

BE CAREFUL, DON'T BE A DUMBASS LIKE ME. DON'T USE APPLE PAY OR ZELLE FOR ANY TRANSACTION WITH SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW. ONLY USE PAYPAL -- THEY HAVE BUYER PROTECTION AGAINST SCAMS.

:banghead:

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: WARNING: SCAMER STALKING THIS BOARD

Post by Stuka »

scientist_bob wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:35 pm Wanted to let everyone know on this board about me getting ripped off from the post where I wanted a J10 tailgate bezel. I was approached by someone who got my email and what I was looking for from my post here. It all seemed on the up and up, he had what I needed at a reasonable price. But, instead of PayPal, he wanted to use apple pay or zelle. At the time, I didn't know they didn't offer buyer protection like PayPal. Like an idiot, I sent him the money. He then disappeared for a week and then demanded more money for shipping -- with his original offer he would cover shipping. I refused and told him to send me the money back. He's now disappeared.

Here is all the contact information that I have for him and his Zelle and Apple Pay accounts that he gave me. The "cell" number is really a voice over internet protocol phone, so not a real number (that I found out after the fact....).

BE CAREFUL, DON'T BE A DUMBASS LIKE ME. DON'T USE APPLE PAY OR ZELLE FOR ANY TRANSACTION WITH SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW. ONLY USE PAYPAL -- THEY HAVE BUYER PROTECTION AGAINST SCAMS.

:banghead:
Sadly, I am not able to stop all spam accounts. But please report them, as that then sends me an alert. A google search of this email immediately brings up spam reports.

And this is another reason I urge people to never ever post your email or phone number in threads. Members can already email you via the forum, and really private messages are the best means, as users must have a certain number of posts before they can PM other members. You can also look at their post history, if they dont have post history, or don't have an account at all, you should ignore them.

I suggest you contact your credit card company to stop the charge, assuming you have the apple pay account tied to a credit card. Just about every credit card out there has fraud protection. Apple Pay itself also has some fraud protection, and you can file a dispute with them.

I move moved this thread to general chat, and I am going to remove the detailed information, as I do with any other posts that somebody puts it into.

Oh, and no member of the forum with that email. So my guess is they saw your email in a thread and contacted you that way.

EDIT: Yeah, I see you had an email in your first post. So I removed it for you.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

Sorry about your ordeal.

File a mail fraud claim with the postmaster general, yes it is mail fraud, and the postal service is really active in pursuing these offenders.

My story is old and the amount was under $70 for a motorcycle part and from a Canadian vendor but for the ethics of it... it took about a year and received a refund
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Yea, sorry to hear about that. I hate to hear about stuff like this. I worry sometimes when I buy a part from someone new, that is not one of my normal people I buy parts from for my customers. And definitely like Stuka said, try not to put your email, phone number or anything like that in a post. That is why you may see me post in a comment, "I am going to PM you my email, number or something to that effect. The only thing I will post in a comment is my business Facebook Page link, not my personal profile. I really hope you get it worked out.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

JeepsAndGuns

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Something I like to do, is ask the person to take a picture of the item for sale with a scrap piece of paper setting on it with my email written on it (or phone number if you are texting).
If they can not produce this picture, then they do not actually have it and are scammers.
It has saved me many times over the last year. They will make up all kinds of excuses of why they can not send that picture. "I am not home right now, I will send it when I get home, go ahead and send the money"
Or, twice, I have had them make up a excuse of why they can not send the picture, but then send a picture of a drivers license saying see, I am legit, if I was not, I would not send you this.
Sad part is, they stole that picture from someone online, or scammed someone into sending a picture like that, and are now using it to try and scam you.
79 Cherokee Cheif. MPFI 401, T18/D20, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
93 YJ. 4.0, 5 Speed, SYE, hydroboost, WJ knuckles/brakes, 8.8 rear, OME 2.5in lift, warn M10000 winch. 31x10.50's
99 WJ limited. 4.0, auto, 2wd, stock.