Observations from a member ... for New and Old

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Observations from a member ... for New and Old

Post by Fast79Chief »

I want to post this so that we might, as a community, do a better job for our membership. I have noticed a real trend here on this site (site in general) of an 'attitude' per se, towards those that may be new to the community or not quite be 'in the fold' just yet (by some unspoken standard?) when it comes to asking questions and seeking FSJ knowledge. I have seen some responders to questions take umbrage that the question was even asked, and even go further as to verbally eviscerate an innocent seeker of information because they didn't FIRST search the entire website to see if that question had EVER been posed in the entire history FSJ Network. As someone who has first handed experienced this, in my opinion, Self-engrandizing rudeness, and seen it bestowed upon other Inquirer's, I feel we need to do better as a group. I have seen a lot of 'forums' come and go over the years on the internet, forums that initially had good intentions and served a strong enthusiast following for this hobby or that, only to be ruined and destroyed by ego, greed and dictatorship. Self-Destructed is what they ultimately did ... nobody wanted to go there anymore for the bullies that lay in wait for a chance to chew up an unsuspecting victim to satisfy the bully's CONTOLLING ego. Those forums became deserts and faded away.
So I'd like to ask that all of us be a little more cognizant of how you respond to ANY member who genuinely needs, wants, and asks for help, information, and or other opinions on a topic. Let's try NOT to bite their head off or chastize them for their lack of knowledge that you may or may not possess, but rather try and direct them to the resources that will help them, which in turn helps this FSJ Network to continue to exist as a friendly place to belong to. Sometimes it can even be a help to not comment at all if you are only looking to make yourself look good. Think about your comments before you post them, and how the recipient of that comment is going see you after reading your comment. Let's also try to stay On Topic with our responses and not STEER the original post into your own bathtub. Just some observations from the battlefield you might say ... observations that should be able to be open discussion in the interest of the greater good. Thanks for reading.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

will e

Re: Observations from a member ... for New and Old

Post by will e »

I cannot confirm your findings, I sometimes don't read each thread in detail, but agree with your approach.

I always try to welcome new members and provide advice when I think I can be of assistance. I have learned on many occasions that helping others often leads to me learning more myself.

And we want people to have a place to come to when FB finally dies.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

To many rules.
Drink more Water

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ive never seen that but i dont linger ob here daily like i did in the beggining.

I honestly think these forums are th3 better ones i have been on when it comes to forums.. be it Jeep. Computers.. fish.. whatever forum im on.

I have noticed what you mentioned though on other Jeep forums.. especially Jeepforum.com. i dont even go there anymore due to the people on it.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Lti57

Post by Lti57 »

Thanks for that
This site is great but I have felt, exactly what you are talking about.
I am on. MGB forum and it’s the same thing a bunch of old farts berating people for asking a question.
First off you got to know what to search for. If you are new to a sport,hobby,marque you don’t know the nomenclature. Making it harder to search.
Anyway I hope it changes here I stopped logging in for a long time. But I like my 81 waggy and want to know more about things to make it a better rig overall
Thanks
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I haven't asked much here. Answered a few. Read them all. Haven't noticed what the OP is commenting on. Some questioners seem to have a chip on their shoulders and interpret counter-questions, that I see as conversation, as attacks.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I've never run into any issues related to respect or criticism except on a Gun post :( This is a very good group of enthusiast with a lot of information. True, some have problems expressing their questions accurately and some miss-interpret the questions and answer what they think is being asked. Its all a communication process that all us adults have practice and improve on. :)

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

Well said.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun