Looking for input on having a single banner ad

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Looking for input on having a single banner ad

Post by rocklaurence »

Sounds Lagit to me

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

I greatly appreciate your past support! I’m confused about the tax implications for “gifts, donations “. I can give up to 13,000 to anyone without any federal tax implications. As long as no one tries to write off the “gift” I see no problem. Your real name and address would be needed, checks with the word “gift” in the memo line would be ironclad proof. Best to have a member ( not you) make this request. Ads for access to this community are a no brained. Thanks again.
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

letank

Post by letank »

Having ad makes sense... Relying on voluntary contribution/membership could be the other aspect, but as you said,it will run into tax fillings timesink.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Stuka wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:18 am AdSense is Googles branding for their ad platform. They are the most widely used ads on the net. If you have ever gone to search for a product, and then gone to another site and then see an ad for the item you just searched for, that's AdSense at work. Its all done through tracking cookies which nearly every site on the internet uses. You can fully disable them, but you may lose some features that are nice to have on some sites.
That's what I figgered. I was hoping it was something that would or you could tell to display Jeep or 4x4 related stuff. Or that would show ads related to the site it's on. I was looking at stoves and bought one a month ago. I'm still seeing ads for them.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

will e

Post by will e »

Thanks for asking and I also support the idea of an ad. Please post a separate thread when you have enabled the ads so I can make sure I have my ad blocker turned off for this site.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

alex t

Post by alex t »

So I like to work backwards sometimes when it comes to creating a solution to meet an end. Is there an annual amount needed for you to maintain this site? If so then once a year we could have a fund raiser to meet that goal. Individuals can gift up to $15,000 to any individual in a calendar year tax free to the donee and non reportable to the donor. No tax forms or reporting required by either party. Each check just needs to be marked "gift" in the remittance area. You can deposit the checks in your personal account and do what you want with the funds which in this case is to fund your hobby fsjnetwork.com yup you guessed right I'm a tax guy.
1987 Grand Wagoneer daily driver with 134,000 mi running strong
on the sidelines is a 401 with an Edelbrock aluminum high rise
intake manifold and four barrel carb on standby.

alex t

Post by alex t »

Sorry I didn't see the previous reply from johnzi10 on page 2 my bad.
1987 Grand Wagoneer daily driver with 134,000 mi running strong
on the sidelines is a 401 with an Edelbrock aluminum high rise
intake manifold and four barrel carb on standby.

Johnzi10

Post by Johnzi10 »

Stuka, pm me about the costs, I’ll try to work some gift checks!
2020 Cherokee Limited v6. Wife’s Jeep
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo Daughters Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee “the Ghost”
1989 Grand Wagoneer my Covid mental health medicine

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Just ran a test, but in some cases 3-4 ads were showing up at once, which isn't what I want. So disabled them and will play around with it more tonight.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Out of sheer curiosity, what if someone donated server space or whatever? Is that the majority of the cost? I would expect it is, but not having ran a forum for a decade and a half now, I have no idea what additional things the newer software may require. I assume you need the server for the forum software, some manner of MySQL or other RDBMS store, and some sort of backup capability?
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Jagged wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm Out of sheer curiosity, what if someone donated server space or whatever? Is that the majority of the cost? I would expect it is, but not having ran a forum for a decade and a half now, I have no idea what additional things the newer software may require. I assume you need the server for the forum software, some manner of MySQL or other RDBMS store, and some sort of backup capability?
Currently I have a Linux host, a MySQL DB, automatic backups, firewall, and 24/7 support in case something happens that is outside my control. The firewall is actually one of the more expensive parts. But without out, the forum becomes almost unusable due to the sheer numbers of bots that start hitting the site from China and Russia. So I have those entire countries geo-blocked.

And the first iteration actually was hosted on a friends server. However when the server died, so did the site. I took months just for me to get a copy of the backup. So now I stick with commercial hosts.

And I could actually save a bit of money buy hosting it in AWS or the like, but its also more effort. And I already have to deal with AWS at work every day.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ok, everybody that has their ad blocker disabled here should now be seeing a single banner ad up top. If by chance you are seeing two, clear your cache. I had two on accident for a while, and if you loaded during that time, it may be cached.

I have also banned certain types of ads (such as adult oriented ones). So you shouldn't see any. If you do, let me know.

So, it should look something like this:

And if you have an Ad Blocker enabled, you will see this in its place:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Rory

Post by Rory »

That's a lot better than most sites I spend time on, not obtrusive at all. Now we all need to organize an ad clicking campaign to make the site some money!
1965 Wagoneer 327/T89/D20 SBC 350/700R4 5.3 in the future!
1974 Cherokee 360/TH400/QT (parts)

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Stuka wrote: The firewall is actually one of the more expensive parts. But without out, the forum becomes almost unusable due to the sheer numbers of bots that start hitting the site from China and Russia. So I have those entire countries geo-blocked.
Does that also include access through Tapatalk app?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sirrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:59 pm
Stuka wrote: The firewall is actually one of the more expensive parts. But without out, the forum becomes almost unusable due to the sheer numbers of bots that start hitting the site from China and Russia. So I have those entire countries geo-blocked.
Does that also include access through Tapatalk app?
Access through tapatalk is free for me. Any ads you see on their goes to them to pay for the service.
2017 JKU Rubicon

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I meant firewall and geo block - if I’m in Russia, I can not access web version, but will access through Tapatalk app work?
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Stuka wrote:
Jagged wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm Out of sheer curiosity, what if someone donated server space or whatever? Is that the majority of the cost? I would expect it is, but not having ran a forum for a decade and a half now, I have no idea what additional things the newer software may require. I assume you need the server for the forum software, some manner of MySQL or other RDBMS store, and some sort of backup capability?
Currently I have a Linux host, a MySQL DB, automatic backups, firewall, and 24/7 support in case something happens that is outside my control. The firewall is actually one of the more expensive parts. But without out, the forum becomes almost unusable due to the sheer numbers of bots that start hitting the site from China and Russia. So I have those entire countries geo-blocked.

And the first iteration actually was hosted on a friends server. However when the server died, so did the site. I took months just for me to get a copy of the backup. So now I stick with commercial hosts.

And I could actually save a bit of money buy hosting it in AWS or the like, but its also more effort. And I already have to deal with AWS at work every day.
Understood. If you ever need assistance let me know. I'm more than happy to give back. I've learned a lot from this forum and find myself back here all the time even during the period I didn't have a fsj.

Ironically I was going to offer an aws server since I work with them at work myself, as well as host my own stuff on them. Not that I want to admin a forum, just that I want to try and help offset costs.

That said, I'll turn off my adblocker for this site and make sure I click around and through as much as I can.

Thanks again for all you do to keep this running.

And the offer stands. :)

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

Topic author
Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sirrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 pm I meant firewall and geo block - if I’m in Russia, I can not access web version, but will access through Tapatalk app work?
Oh, not sure. I guess I could setup my VPN to a geoblocked country and try it. Are you just curious, or do you often travel there and want to have access?
2017 JKU Rubicon

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Oops. I didn't even notice the ad. I guess I'm conditioned to ignore them.

It seems less obtrusive than what I've seen on other sites.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

will e

Post by will e »

I forgot I don't have adblocker for Edge. I only used Edge for a few things, including this site. I see a single banner ad. So working for me.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge