Firearms. Mele weapons and everything else.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Firearms. Mele weapons and everything else.

Post by candymancan »

TO BEGIN.. NO POLITICAL statements. Please.. we alllllll know whats going on in the country.. either side...

I just want to talk about these kinds of arms. Neutral discussions... if you arent into it.. Thats ok..

I myself have none. But im 34, fired a few when i was 14-15 and 29 years old. Ive been debating on getting a firearm.. (for yearrrs now) im wondering. What you all think. Whqt was your first that you fired. What do you own now ?. Why do you like it ? Any negatives like poor craftsmanship ? Or what not.

Myself. Ive shot a 1889 colt revolver. A glock, simple little range .22 ( unsure what it was) and when i was 10 I used a few bows that my neighbors had. Unsure what they were though.

Im 34 now and never owned anything other than a pocket knife. My brother is former army and laughs at me for saying this. But i really want a 1911. And or 357 cold python 6 inch. I dont plan to carry as the state im in recently passed pretty restrictive laws. But i think itd be another nice hobby to get into.

Ive also always wanted to fire a shotgun, i plan to go to a range near me that rent anything basically. Just to get a feel.

What about you guys M. Again keep it civil please.. i know both sides dont get along. I just want a normal discussion
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

xjranger2003

Re: Firearms. Mele weapons and everything else.

Post by xjranger2003 »

Good on you for asking questions!

This is a loaded question. We don't know where you are and what real estate you own/rent.

My advice is find the time to go to a range that has a rental program. This way you can try a few different firearms and hopefully get some assistance from staff at the range. Search the NRA page looking for basic firearms training.

Stop debating and get training and experience!
77 Wagoneer :)
82 CJ-7 Sold :oops:
96 XJ Sold :(

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Python and a 1911. The first and second handguns I bought. But this was back when a Python cost $325, I think. On the other hand that was when $325 was worth $325.

Good advice above.

But maybe get something that's cheaper to shoot so you can use it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeah, loaded question, but honestly isn't political providing people don't steer it that way. I've voted both sides and see nothing political about the topic. It is a granted right. Go find a local range and try out some different firearms. Many times ranges will rent firearms for a small fee and purchase of their ammo. Strike up convo with the range workers. they'll probably know of a few people who do have what you are wanting to try. Practice lots. Get training. Especially first time you go, then more training after you purchase your new to you firearm. It is very fun to plink off rounds and watch your accuracy improve with training. Ammo is scarce and expensive right now due to the unrest, and honestly firearm prices are up quite a bit. But don't let that deter you.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

GrandJoshoneer

Post by GrandJoshoneer »

I have all sorts of guns that I’ve either purchased or inherited, or built myself. My favorite is a Walther PPS (handgun) and my AR. Both have the most common bullet size in each category and can be the easiest/cheapest to find, present times excluded. Both are very different in terms of what they are designed to do, how they work, and the experience of shooting them. If all you want to do is plink, either one of these calibers can help you do that cheaply. In terms of craftsmanship, you do get what you pay for, but the threshold is still fairly high. You can get a cheap handgun and it will perform the same basic job as an expensive handgun. The primary difference will be reliability and accuracy. Handguns are typically used in close range so the accuracy may not be as big a deal to you. Reliability can be overcome by simply getting a revolver, which tend to be more reliable, but that reduces bullet capacity. If long range shooting is your thing, entry level ARs can be pretty fun to hone your skills with. They are also highly customizable and are sometimes referred to as “Barbie for Men” because of all the different things you can do with it.

Whatever you end up getting, the most important thing is to ensure it is something you are comfortable with and meets your needs. And of course, safety first, and second...don’t put any holes in your Waggy.
—————————————-
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I went to a store the other day to at least hold a few and get a feel for them. I saw a Uberti floral engraved colt single action army. An old 1873 western gun.. omg so beautiful. You may laugh at this. But i changed my opinion on a pyhton now i want a 1911 and or this single action. Ive actually fired this weapon when i was 14 in Arizona. Only downside is how you gatta load 5 rounds and keep 1 empty due to the firing pin resting on a round with 6. This uberti has a new safety design built into it though but i dunno if i trust that pin they added to stop the hammer.

You guys ever shoot a single action army before ?

Everyone says get glocks for the 12-15-18 round capacity.. but the way i see is is 5 or 6 rounds is better than no rounds for self defense. And i wont lie walking around with open carry with a big 45 single action and a belt/holster with individual rounds seems pretty sweet. I dunno if i want to do conceal carry. Ive read the opinions on both and why and why not. And i lean more towards the open.

Held a few glocks and to be honest with my big hands they feel too small. Dont like the light weight either, a barreta or 1911 felt better to me i like the weight. But that old cowboy gun man. And i held some of the 357 magnums they had. They seem too bulky for anything other than range shooting.

Im going to go a range here shortly and try out a few firearms they have. Sadly they dont have a single action army to try out.

I dunno if i can post pics of guns on this forums. But look up the single action floral engraved cattleman 1873.

Ammo prices arent too bad. 30-40$ a box is no different than me buying that 30-40$ coral for my salt water fish tank. But the shop i visited only allows ammo purchased if you guys a gun from them, which seemed a little lame. And only 1-2 per person. Yet while inside the shop they had wall to wall of ammo stacked to the ceiling. I feel like theyre hoarding the ammo in that place.

I think ammo for the single action is even more expensive though as i heard its not made as much as other rounds. The 45 LC
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

bigun

Post by bigun »

Personally I like the 1911 variants right now my carry gun is a S&W M&P Shield 2.0 in .45. If I have a complaint against it is the magazine springs are so strong you have to have a magazine loader to refill the magazines.
Ammo I am assuming you are talking about a single action army in .45 long colt if you are then you are going to have to pay the price for ammo until you can start reloading your own. Keep an eye open at Ammo Seek.com I just to a look the cheapest was around $40. for 50 plus shipping. I would suggest to find one in a more modern cartridge .357 or .44.
Good luck in your decision, you are stepping into world as convoluted as FSJs everyone has their own opinion.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Rule no 1: You don't talk about what you own. Just because you passed a check to buy a gun does NOT mean you bought a gun and there is no gun registered in your name, unless you live in a couple of counties. If so, MOVE!

Sorry, got political.

I've fired everything from .22s/l to .460 Weatherby and .460 magnum. Taken defensive pistol classes from some of the best.... Find what YOU CAN SHOOT! If you can't hit with it, it's just a club.

All that said, my edc is a Sig Sauer 1911. they are a great platform if machined well. Great pistol if you get a good one. Military versions usually suck. (thus your friend's opinion) Just enough to end the fight/less chance of over-penetration.... And it's what I can HIT with. Your results may vary though. Experiment.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D