Nineteen Years

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
freehold

Nineteen Years

Post by freehold »

With apologies to our good site moderators if this nudges anywhere close to a line it shouldn't, I wanted to take a moment in remembrance of the horrible tragedies of September 11. I mourn those we lost, remember them and their families, and give thanks for the many heroes--from the public servants to the cooks and secretaries--who gave their best, even when it cost them everything.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

bigun

Re: Nineteen Years

Post by bigun »

Hard to keep nonpoltical, The ones celebrated for running in are now being vilified

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I remember.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I remember exactly where I was at and what I was doing. I was 20 years old, working a first job for the local municipality. At break, I heard the radio news bulletin stating a plane had crashed into the World trade center. I immediately thought "Hmm. Some poor guy in a Cessna had a bad day."

Then got a call to come into the shop. I parked the truck, and was surprised to find the doors locked to the building. After being let in, all the employees were crowded into a small room watching the news. I walked up and seen both towers smoking. I was confused. They told me that full sized airliners had hit both buildings along with the pentagon.

The most eerie realization of what was actually happening came over me.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

will e

Post by will e »

There are few days that you remember clearly. Challenger was one of the first. Although I do have a very vague recollection of the first moon landing but I was very young and they kept telling me to watch because it was important. 9/11 is very etched in my memory. Turning on the TV and they are telling us a 'small plan' may have hit the world train center. Live shots showing the smoke from a distance and then the second plane slamming into the other tower on live TV. I could go on. When the first tower fell I knew it was going to be a life changer.

Bigun you are right. What a difference two decades has made.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I remember when it happened. I was 15 years old, my step dad woke me up saying world war 3 started.. And he was partially right. My real dad was army 22 years. Airborne 82nd then Intelligence, retired in 93 died in 98 from cancer from hepititus C he got in Korea from a blood transfusion the army gave him.

I almost Joined the Army when i was 17-18 to go out to the middle east and fight the terrorists.. But then i remembered that the Army basically killed my dad and blacked out his medical records when he was trying to sue them. So i decided to not Join. Im 34 now, do i regret it ? A little, and i can still Join. But after my brother was in for 7 years and has all kinds of medical problems now from being Infantry i realized i made the right choice. My dad was also friends with Colin Powel who was a Colonel at the time they met. And after i found out he got lied too by the bush admin thats another reason for me.,

Id happily join if a draft was in place, but yea still have my reservations against the Gov and the Military
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
freehold

Post by freehold »

dodgerammit wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:32 pm I remember exactly where I was at and what I was doing. I was 20 years old, working a first job for the local municipality. At break, I heard the radio news bulletin stating a plane had crashed into the World trade center. I immediately thought "Hmm. Some poor guy in a Cessna had a bad day."

Then got a call to come into the shop. I parked the truck, and was surprised to find the doors locked to the building. After being let in, all the employees were crowded into a small room watching the news. I walked up and seen both towers smoking. I was confused. They told me that full sized airliners had hit both buildings along with the pentagon.

The most eerie realization of what was actually happening came over me.
Thanks for sharing that.

I was 20, too. I was a college junior studying to become a high school teacher, and I started off the morning doing a class observation at a local high school. As must have been the case with millions of us that day, someone burst in the room and more or less said stop what you're doing and turn on the television. I left soon after and went back to my dorm.

One of my grandfathers retired from a career with AT&T and worked in one of the towers (he was long retired by 9/11, but other family friends and neighbors from NJ still worked in and around the WTC). I had vivid memories of being in New York, of going into the towers. They were a beacon of sorts when we'd land in Newark to visit.

I had never felt so helpless watching everything unfold from a dorm room hundreds of miles away, tucked safely in an smoky mountain valley.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

That's why I asked my wife to go pick up the kids from school. I figgered they didn't need to sit there and watch the video replayed a thousand times.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

MReese Wagoneer

Post by MReese Wagoneer »

Was in a Disaster Preparedness meeting at the hospital
We disbanded the meeting as this was now real life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fsj:
New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

bigun

Post by bigun »

We were eating breakfast youngest Niece Rose and Nephew EJ came in. She shouted at us don't you people ever turn on the TV in the morning, No, she then grabbed the remote and turned on the TV just as the second plane hit. I remember asking is this a movie, with tears in her eyes she said no it's real. I had a kitchen remodel I was supposed to be wiring, needless to say I never left the house, I got up a couple of times with the idea that I should be working only to sit down again. We were still sitting there when they came home from school. She has since done back to back tours in Iraq her truck was caught in an IED blast she has been 100% disabled due to short term memory loss, on going back issues, and some hearing loss. She is now a mother of four kids three girls and 1 son. My nephew drives a truck for his parents, is married and has two dogs.

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Remember all too well. Getting dressed for work, and the wife's morning show was preempted by the news. Standing in front of
the tv, buttoning my shirt, when the second airliner hit. Stunned, but instantly knew it wasn't accidental, just the way the plane
was banking toward the tower, and flying far too fast. Stupid airhead local newscasters kept saying how unthinkable it was to use
airliners as weapons, and I'm yelling at the tv, "Don't any of you holes read Clancy?"
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I was in the 8th grade. Caught a little bit of it on the news before they cut the cable feed to our school and we went on lockdown. Was completely in the dark until I got home. Really wished we could have been allowed to watch it on TV throughout the day.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!