Dump bed wiring-solved and thank you

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
srob3

Dump bed wiring-solved and thank you

Post by srob3 »

Unfortunately not FSJ. It’s a 2001 Sierra which was my Dad’s truck. Has a switch in the cab which will no longer raise but will lower and a backup switch on the frame which functions normally. I think the contacts on the cab switch function normally? Up button plus ground give me 3 V at rest 12 V activated. Down button plus ground 12 V at rest, 0 V activated.

Can only part of the solenoid(I think that’s what it is) go bad? Where white wire attaches near the hydrolic pump. I don’t see any numbers on the “solenoid”, how do I find a replacement?

Thanks,
Sid
1978 J10 in pieces still
1975 Cherokee S

letank

Re: Dump bed wiring

Post by letank »

a solenoid is basically a remote switch for a high load current, same as your starter solenoid... looking at the pict, clean and/or derust the contacts... test for voltage drop, the cable could be internally corroded...
as for part number, may the bed manufacturer/installer has the number... there might be some brand stamped on the solenoid, the bed... time for a deeper inquiry

as usual label or color code wires to their respective post, a dab of paint of color tape securely attached... or a zip tie with a tag... all I can see is a green and brown wire going to the solenoid energizing contact...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
srob3

Re: Dump bed wiring

Post by srob3 »

Thanks for the help. Found the pump manufacturer on hydraulic reserve, led me to replacement solenoid. Working well.

Sid
1978 J10 in pieces still
1975 Cherokee S