Fuel Pump

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
wbg

Fuel Pump

Post by wbg »

Gotta a couple of questions fellas,

I've been trying to get this 83 J10 with a 360 engine in it running better. After tuning the carburator (which is too big- Edelbrock 750), setting timing to about 15-16 TDC, new plugs and wires, cleaned distrubutor cap contacts, new fuel filter and air filter, and adjusted the carb throttle pump linkage one hole for quicker response.

The engine hesitates when first giving throttle and bogs. You have to pamper the gas pedal at first push.

The fuel filter is one of those clear glass - hot rod filters. I noticed that the filter housing isn't full while the engine is running. It's only about half full.

Is that correct or should it be completely full? Will a pressure gauge tell me if the pump is weak?

Thanks,

letank

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by letank »

Do you have a fuel filter with a return line, 1 nipple in and 2 nipples out, the return nipple is smaller 1/4" on stock system and should be at 12 o'clock , aka on the top position, usually there is a small air bubble, and you can see the gas flowing thru.

Hesitation and bogs can be due to lean condition
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

coolhand75

Post by coolhand75 »

I’m curious too. I also have the same filter. At first I thought it was vapor locking with the mechanical pump so than I put a electrical pump bypassing the mechanical pump. And to this day I still never see it full. Half or even less some times empty. The truck never stalls out fuel always seems to come back in there in time.
I did a previous post a while back about this. You should be able to find it. I did talk to a buddy about it and he seems to think those glass filters are kind of junkie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
wbg

Post by wbg »

I do not have a filter with the return line. I know what you are talking about and I have seen them. This truck didn't have one.
Should I put one on, will it damage the fuel pump without one?
The reason I put the glass filter on was so I could see how dirty it got and it seems to have a very fine filter mesh.

Thanks,

letank

Post by letank »

wbg wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:24 am I do not have a filter with the return line. I know what you are talking about and I have seen them. This truck didn't have one.
Should I put one on, will it damage the fuel pump without one?
The reason I put the glass filter on was so I could see how dirty it got and it seems to have a very fine filter mesh.

Thanks,
my 74 does not have a return line, but is running an electric pump... test fuel pressure is a good way to know what is happening...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)