Moving....its bittersweet

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Phils67

Moving....its bittersweet

Post by Phils67 »

So I bought a new house. I should be moving in the next month. Since it's a rainy day and I like beer, I figured I would start packing out the garage and throw a few down. Is it me, or do other jeepers realize how much they hoard until it's time to move? Good god I have accumulated some stuff in the last 4-5 years! Its bittersweet but I know the new garage.. ahem, house, will be worth it. I have mountains of jeep stuff I didn't even know I had lol I really dont even expect a reply, I just really wanted to put it out there how difficult moving for a jeeper must be, I know I cant be alone here. I have a mountain of new bearings I am boxing up and have no clue what they even go to. Amongst other stuff. Think I am going to reduce the amount I move to the new shop...sorry...new house? NOPE! Lol
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Moving....its bittersweet

Post by rocklaurence »

No! Dont throw anything away! You'll need it as soon as you do.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Years ago I had a 10x10 storage unit I paid 120 a month for, had it for probably 10 years, finally I got sick if paying fornit and I did like 3 dump runs. I'm talking engines, trans, cases, axles, drums, hubs, body parts, etc I had 10,000lbs of rust in there I was paying 120 a month for to keep. That's about 12 grand I paid to keep it. Soon as I jumked everything I needed something Haha moral of my story I needed something for 200 and went and got it but it cost me almost 12k to keep the ones I had. Sometimes it's better to just buy it again. But no, I am not getting rid if any of thing this time. It hasn't cost me anything to keep this stuff
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I get physically ill when I have to throw any Jeep part away.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Yup. I went to the liquor store for boxes and have been shoving every piece of rusty gold I come across into them haha

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Congrats! In spite of how you feel or what other people think, it's really OK to toss out Jeep parts. It took me a while to figure that out. We moved here in 2005 with 6 FSJs, a F*rd F150 and a Subaru. 3 of those were not runners at the time. We still hauled it all. Ooof... In the last 9 years, I have gradually thinned it all down by about 1500 lbs, 4 FSJs and the F150. My wife is grateful.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I would never get rid of 4 FSJs lol. Well I am only taking a FSJ, a MJ, XJ, a 17 cruze, 2 Deeres, and like 100k in snap on stuff. Plus tons of signage, parts,etc. I dont feel bad about all I have to take.. I feel in awe honestly. I didn't realize the amount of Sh!t i have lol my wife hates my jeeps. Says they are all money pits. My reply is "yup and they stay"

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

Yes it is. I moved from N CA to Idaho in 2011 and then 2 more times up here in less than 2 years. I have a bunch of M715s and M725s along with International Loadstars and an auto repair shop. Finally in mid 2013 I moved to my current house on an acre. I told the wife I'm never moving again as I'm in my late 40s now and it's not fun anymore when you have more stuff than can fit in a pickup truck with small utility trailer. I can remember moving in 2000 with 3 kids and everything I owned fit in my 75 International longbed pickup and 16 foot utility trailer.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

I already told my wife I dont plan on moving ever again. If I make it til the age of 70 I might have it paid off. This is 2 acres. Plenty of room to collect more jeeps

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have parts I have saved as well...not quite to that degree, but im ratholing :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Its crazy. I have stuff I never knew I had haha stuff I will probably never use either. But will i scrap it? Nope!

tedlovesjeeps71

There seems to be two types of Jeep people. Those who simply buy one and drive it, maybe have a shop do any mods, but could care less about what happens to the parts that are replaced/removed. Then there are the nuts like me. I save EVERYTHING. It’s honestly a real sickness.
I don’t think it would be so bad if I was actually organized with it all but that has sadly not happened. What’s worse is I have junk in two separate locations. Some has made the trip down to the house while a bunch is still out in my storage containers. Why does that matter? Well, take this weekend. I’m working on my Jeep (Scrambler) and need some random bit. Where is it? I know I have at least one....somewhere. Is it in the pile of stuff at the house or out at storage?? So I waste literally hours over the weekend looking through boxes and crates for this part or that one. Throwing it all away crossed my mind more than once, believe me. But then I would stumble across some other part (not what I was looking for) I forgot I had and put it aside for later.
I realize it’s a disaster. I honestly intend to organize it... someday. The intent was to get the shop built with sufficient storage with shelves and such. Unfortunately life hasn’t followed a straight course and I’m doing what I can as I can. My luck is I’ll finally get it all built and organized and then have a heart attack and die. Haha.
Maybe I should start a spreadsheet so my wife can figure out what’s valuable and include it in my will.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

^^^this....you just summarized my life^^^

letank

Post by letank »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:48 am Maybe I should start a spreadsheet so my wife can figure out what’s valuable and include it in my will. ImageImage
I am thinking about it... at least I started to put labels on boxes, or a sheet inside the box , yes singular, I did one box, yeaaaah. My container storage is for big parts... so that is easy, but the crawl space, is like a cavern... this is what happens when you live on a hill... Unlimited storage, on sloppy ground
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

We sold our house in Feb. 2020 in order to "downsize" to a condo. In the old house I had a 2100 foot heated garage and workshop (along with an attic for cough cough "storage". I built a CJ from 13 jeeps in this shop and also tore down a J20 and restored it......Thankfully, I was able to either give away or sell off nearly everything I had accumulated over the years...…. It makes me wonder what my wife would have done if I had kept everything and then died...(I'm 69)………..I watched my neighbor lady have to go thru her husbands "life collection" just last year. It was really tough on her.
I still have many of my tools and wire welder, but sold the Bridgeport milling machine and tooling...…..Hopefully I will get over it someday...LoL.
But I feel good that my wife won't have to deal with it when THAT time comes.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

itselliott wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 am ……..I watched my neighbor lady have to go thru her husbands "life collection" just last year. It was really tough on her.
I still have many of my tools and wire welder, but sold the Bridgeport milling machine and tooling...…..Hopefully I will get over it someday...LoL.
But I feel good that my wife won't have to deal with it when THAT time comes.
My Dad was a Hoarder, worked for himself and never paid taxes/Social Security. When he died he left his second-much younger wife with all the Crap he'd collected. In his and his wifes eyes, it was Retirement/Social Security. I tried to help my step mom sell some of this stuff and to get the area cleaned up but she was convinced that it all was Gold and didn't want to sell it at market prices. :roll: She would ask "how much is this Not Running-Not complete, 30 foot, 30 year old, flatbed Chevy worth"? I'd say " $2500".. She'd say oh no. " Your Dad said its worth $8500".. She has sat on stuff for years trying to get what my Dad thought it was worth. :x

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Maybe the high prices are more about her holding onto pieces of him more than the actual things? I've seen that before and could totally understand.

tedlovesjeeps71

Yup. People get attached to stuff in strange ways. The “hoard” can, in some ways, keep the memory of the passed loved one alive.
My wife, on the other hand, has flat out said she is calling my best friend. He is welcome to anything he wants and the rest goes to the trash.

Topic author
Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:37 am Yup. People get attached to stuff in strange ways. The “hoard” can, in some ways, keep the memory of the passed loved one alive.
My wife, on the other hand, has flat out said she is calling my best friend. He is welcome to anything he wants and the rest goes to the trash. Image
Mine said it all goes to the kids or the dump lol

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Phils67 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 pm Years ago I had a 10x10 storage unit I paid 120 a month for, had it for probably 10 years, finally I got sick if paying fornit and I did like 3 dump runs. I'm talking engines, trans, cases, axles, drums, hubs, body parts, etc I had 10,000lbs of rust in there I was paying 120 a month for to keep. That's about 12 grand I paid to keep it.
Haha, it seems you and I have a bit more in common.

About twelve years ago my stuff was exposed to the city by someone who thought I murdered his dog. Raccoons were fighting the night before near my house. My property is a raccoon hotel/nursery. He argued that he never heard raccoons fight and didn’t believe me.

I spent nearly $10,000 for materials to build two 24 feet long storage containers with wheels and axles to store all FSJ parts.

When I move soon I expect most of the parts will go to scrap as I saved them all from the scrap already.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.