COVID-19

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

bigun

Re: COVID-19

Post by bigun »

Found out today the first three cases in my county were in our little town of 900. According to the article one member of a family had been traveling came home and infected 2 more members. Our pudgy little mayor was jumping up and down with joy telling the newspaper I have been warning everyone but everybody ignored me! Yeah you pudgy butt fool the first thing you did was turn every intersection off the main highway though town into a 4 way stop
Drugstore only allows you 6 feet into the door when you stop to pick up your prescriptions, grocery store has put in a foot pumped hand washing station outside, bank is strictly drive up and the line was 4 cars deep, mom always draws out cash for her hairdos, but since the stylist is shut down for the month she has no need. Stopped at the grocery store to pick up lunch meat for my evening sandwich, hamburger meat, and eggs. then came home

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

dodgerammit wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:47 pm I gave up trying to make sense of the “numbers” back around December. The reality is they are all skewed in one way or another. From the onset with China playing their games to the introduction of the virus to the US via a multitude of directions. Add in the spread by those who carried it but showed no symptoms, those who were never tested, those who died but the cause was labeled as something other than the virus or were not tested post expiration...
The numbers just don’t even serve a purpose anymore.
Some look at them and see some reincarnation of the Spanish flu or the Black Plague. Some look at the numbers and are told things are getting better, the “curve” is flattening.
I’m not an unsympathetic guy and I know we need to do what we can to try and protect those who are high risk from this. But for me, my true fear is the way our nation has been forced into the idea that they must stay home, not work, and believe the government will provide for all their needs. And the unfathomable level of spending being spewed in all directions... that bill will come due. And THAT concerns me greatly.
I seen somewhere the entire global economy is in debt. How much, I can't remember. But who are we in debt to at a global level? I don't think the bill will come due. I think it'll be a massive reset. Won't be pretty either way.
China.
“Debt” is a strange, highly complex term when one is discussing global economies but it can be broken down to a very simple example. As Americans we are taught debt isn’t bad. Get a credit card. Mortgage a house. Lease a car. Student loans. Soldiers, get a STaR card. Etc.
Problem is that the bill comes due eventually. And when interest is added to a large debt, eventually the money charged to let you borrow exceeds what your able to pay, never mind the principal.
But at the end of the day, debt is simply an agreement to repay what was willingly borrowed.
If they eventually prove that this virus was indeed manufactured in China’s bio weapons lab, the world should send the bill to China. Yes, that would probably collapse the global economy and the world would change in a drastic way but, maybe it is time for that?

ScurvyDawg

Post by ScurvyDawg »

My wife works in the hospital here in Macon, Ga. It hit a couple of nursing homes, and the employees of those nursing homes just stopped going to work like a bunch of savages (so much for the hippocratic oath). The town of Albany, Ga had a few funerals, and 14 days later it was a Covid Hot Spot. And because my wife works at the hospital, she is constantly getting updates on this unique situation. Her take away from all this...it's going to get much, much worse before it get's better.
"It Don't Take Long If You Drive Fast"
"I Know I'm Running Late, But The Voices In My Head Keep Telling Me Pull Over And Clean My Guns"

1990 Grand Wagoneer code named Big Pappa
Coming Soon 1979 Cherokee Chief
2012 RAM 1500 Express
2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra Code Name Blew Bayou

tedlovesjeeps71

bigun wrote:Found out today the first three cases in my county were in our little town of 900. According to the article one member of a family had been traveling came home and infected 2 more members. Our pudgy little mayor was jumping up and down with joy telling the newspaper I have been warning everyone but everybody ignored me! Yeah you pudgy butt fool the first thing you did was turn every intersection off the main highway though town into a 4 way stop
Drugstore only allows you 6 feet into the door when you stop to pick up your prescriptions, grocery store has put in a foot pumped hand washing station outside, bank is strictly drive up and the line was 4 cars deep, mom always draws out cash for her hairdos, but since the stylist is shut down for the month she has no need. Stopped at the grocery store to pick up lunch meat for my evening sandwich, hamburger meat, and eggs. then came home
There was (supposedly) a guy that died from the virus who worked in a building about 1/2 mile from where I work. Anyone who doesn’t understand that this virus is everywhere now is living in denial.

bigun

Post by bigun »

The problem is anyone who dies at this time is said to die of Covid 19, even if they were known to be dying of cancer and other disease or bodily malfunction

tedlovesjeeps71

bigun wrote:The problem is anyone who dies at this time is said to die of Covid 19, even if they were known to be dying of cancer and other disease or bodily malfunction
Sorta. In some cases that is what is reported. In some cases it was the opposite. Seems to depend on what tptb are trying to accomplish.
Trying to placate the masses=died of “natural causes”
Trying to force people to obey/comply or (the big one) trying to justify spending exorbitant amounts of money=Corvid19 is killing everyone.
That’s why I don’t follow the numbers. Too much agendizing going on.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 am
dodgerammit wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:47 pm I gave up trying to make sense of the “numbers” back around December. The reality is they are all skewed in one way or another. From the onset with China playing their games to the introduction of the virus to the US via a multitude of directions. Add in the spread by those who carried it but showed no symptoms, those who were never tested, those who died but the cause was labeled as something other than the virus or were not tested post expiration...
The numbers just don’t even serve a purpose anymore.
Some look at them and see some reincarnation of the Spanish flu or the Black Plague. Some look at the numbers and are told things are getting better, the “curve” is flattening.
I’m not an unsympathetic guy and I know we need to do what we can to try and protect those who are high risk from this. But for me, my true fear is the way our nation has been forced into the idea that they must stay home, not work, and believe the government will provide for all their needs. And the unfathomable level of spending being spewed in all directions... that bill will come due. And THAT concerns me greatly.
I seen somewhere the entire global economy is in debt. How much, I can't remember. But who are we in debt to at a global level? I don't think the bill will come due. I think it'll be a massive reset. Won't be pretty either way.
China.
“Debt” is a strange, highly complex term when one is discussing global economies but it can be broken down to a very simple example. As Americans we are taught debt isn’t bad. Get a credit card. Mortgage a house. Lease a car. Student loans. Soldiers, get a STaR card. Etc.
Problem is that the bill comes due eventually. And when interest is added to a large debt, eventually the money charged to let you borrow exceeds what your able to pay, never mind the principal.
But at the end of the day, debt is simply an agreement to repay what was willingly borrowed.
If they eventually prove that this virus was indeed manufactured in China’s bio weapons lab, the world should send the bill to China. Yes, that would probably collapse the global economy and the world would change in a drastic way but, maybe it is time for that?
Even China is in debt.

That said, we are debt free. Have been for about 2 years now. Wonderful feeling especially now.

I'm not gonna start on tin foil theories.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

tedlovesjeeps71

dodgerammit wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:49 am
dodgerammit wrote: I seen somewhere the entire global economy is in debt. How much, I can't remember. But who are we in debt to at a global level? I don't think the bill will come due. I think it'll be a massive reset. Won't be pretty either way.
China.
Even China is in debt.

That said, we are debt free. Have been for about 2 years now. Wonderful feeling especially now.

I'm not gonna start on tin foil theories.
Congrats on being debt free!!!! That is awesome! We are not but we don’t live a spendy lifestyle and keep trying to chip away at it as we can.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

bigun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 am The problem is anyone who dies at this time is said to die of Covid 19, even if they were known to be dying of cancer and other disease or bodily malfunction
Just to be clear, there are two ways a death of COVID-19 is counted. One is "complications from" which typically means there was an existing issue that COVID-19 made worse. The other is just "from", which means it was an otherwise healthy person.

The larger issue is, especially in places hard hit like New York, people are not being tested after they have passed away. The coroners office has stated they know they have people that died from COVID like symptoms, but were never tested.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

The Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier had almost every person tested. The infection rate was about 6% (286 positive out of about 5000 crew). Obviously I don't know what measures they took once they realized it was on board. And I have never been on an aircraft carrier. But it seems to me that's a pretty low rate of infection considering social distancing is probably more difficult on an aircraft carrier. I am going to guess the death rate will be pretty low due to the age demographics on a carrier, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions if it is.

This is just an observation. Perhaps it is not as infectious as is suspected?

If you look at the NYC numbers. Out of 8.9 million people we have 81803 confirmed cases. Yes, they have been social distancing and are basically on lockdown now BUT they weren't when this first broke. That's an infection rate of about .09%
Again, this is a place where people were packed in pretty tight. They share elevators, escalators, subways, cabs, etc. It seems like there should have been more infections if it is a easily spread as is suspected.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:39 am The Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier had almost every person tested. The infection rate was about 6% (286 positive out of about 5000 crew). Obviously I don't know what measures they took once they realized it was on board. And I have never been on an aircraft carrier. But it seems to me that's a pretty low rate of infection considering social distancing is probably more difficult on an aircraft carrier. I am going to guess the death rate will be pretty low due to the age demographics on a carrier, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions if it is.

This is just an observation. Perhaps it is not as infectious as is suspected?

If you look at the NYC numbers. Out of 8.9 million people we have 81803 confirmed cases. Yes, they have been social distancing and are basically on lockdown now BUT they weren't when this first broke. That's an infection rate of about .09%
Again, this is a place where people were packed in pretty tight. They share elevators, escalators, subways, cabs, etc. It seems like there should have been more infections if it is a easily spread as is suspected.
The Theodore Roosevelt had implemented a bunch of things soon as the first case showed up. Which included entire ship sensitization twice a day. They limited how many could be in certain areas such as the mess hall at one time, etc. So he did everything he could to slow it.

The issue in NY, and really everywhere in the USA, is testing capacity. Something South Korea and China did was test everybody. Regardless if you have symptoms or not. We aren't doing that. Only people that feel they are sick enough to be tested are being tested because its entirely voluntary. Which means the numbers are lower than they actually are. And until we get the ability to test everybody, we won't know how many have it, or how many are asymptomatic. In which case, it looks like the USA has a much higher rate of asymptomatic cases than many other countries.
2017 JKU Rubicon

will e

Post by will e »

Thanks Stuka for the additional info on the carrier. It still seems like a low rate on the carrier for something that is supposed to be highly contagious.

Are you saying China and South Korea have tested every one in their countries? The data in this article shows USA as having tested the most people. South Korea and Italy beat us on testing rates.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 am Thanks Stuka for the additional info on the carrier. It still seems like a low rate on the carrier for something that is supposed to be highly contagious.

Are you saying China and South Korea have tested every one in their countries? The data in this article shows USA as having tested the most people. South Korea and Italy beat us on testing rates.

Not everyone in the country. But in defined areas that had outbreaks. And the US is now doing a lot of testing, but even at that, doctors are saying that they don't have enough to test everybody that should be tested. But its getting better, high volume production always has to ramp up time. And the new 15 minute test will help a ton, instead of having to ship test samples back to a lab.

As for how contagious this is, it is much more contagious than the common flu. BUT, that's partly because we have flu vaccines, so a lot of people just won't catch it. The other item of note is that SARS-COV2-19 can take up to 14 days to show symptoms, but a person can start spreading the virus to others after only a few days of becoming infected. So there is this huge lag time that makes reacting to it tough.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:
will e wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:41 am Thanks Stuka for the additional info on the carrier. It still seems like a low rate on the carrier for something that is supposed to be highly contagious.

Not everyone in the country. But in defined areas that had outbreaks. And the US is now doing a lot of testing, but even at that, doctors are saying that they don't have enough to test everybody that should be tested. But its getting better, high volume production always has to ramp up time. And the new 15 minute test will help a ton, instead of having to ship test samples back to a lab.

As for how contagious this is, it is much more contagious than the common flu. BUT, that's partly because we have flu vaccines, so a lot of people just won't catch it. The other item of note is that SARS-COV2-19 can take up to 14 days to show symptoms, but a person can start spreading the virus to others after only a few days of becoming infected. So there is this huge lag time that makes reacting to it tough.
Which is part of why I believe the Aircraft carrier’s numbers will seem low. It spreads all over the boat, some have serious reactions to it after X number of days, some don’t. Unless they plan to keep testing everyone on a regular basis they will always show lower numbers.

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka nailed it, and if I may add, some people are healthy carrier (not aircraft carrier related), no symptoms, only a reservoir of live viruses...

The test can also yield wrong negative... At some point everybody will have to be tested to know if 1) they are infected, and most importantly 2) if they have developped natural immunity, so they can resume a normal activity.

This is not the normal flu, the flu does not turn your lungs into a mush of bloody cells, some ethnic groups are really being struck with the disease , not official, but african american are really into a bind, it is not known if because of ethnicity or location due to "pollution" some area are OK and some have terrible numbers

The table have been removed from the server... I have a screen pict , will post later, from https://www.chhs.ca.gov/

The table is gone, but I did a screen capture this morning

2.3 million tested so far

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

Happy Easter.

A bright spot. I went to our Fry's grocery store yesterday at 9:30am for some food and they still had toilet paper, paper towels and tissue on the shelves. I scored a 6 pack of Charmin. I didn't grab paper towels, we don't need any after my last score. I noticed not 'everyone' had TP and/or Paper towels in their carts. There was one lady at the check out who tried to buy 3 packs of TP using the argument that it didn't break the rules since they were not all 3 the same.

Regarding the carrier. I see now they have 550 confirmed cases so they are over 10%.

"As of today (yesterday), 92% of the USS Theodore Roosevelt crewmembers have been tested for COVID-19, with 550 positive and 3,673 negative results," the Navy said in a press release Saturday. The Navy said that in response, 3,696 sailors have moved ashore, which includes 518 who were taken off the ship since Friday. "

But this story was from a few days earlier:

"On Wednesday, the Navy released a statement that said 93% of the crew had been tested for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, resulting in 2,588 negative and 286 positive results. Over 2,000 sailors on the ship were subsequently moved to a base on the island, which is a U.S. territory."

So they are doing more testing. But the numbers between the two statements don't 'add up'.

Of course, the longer they are off the ship the better chance they have of catching it some other way.

tedlovesjeeps71

But there is another issue. Carriers are awesome in their ability to deliver death and act as a deterrent simply by being in the area. Is the TR still combat effective? Are the other carriers?

letank

Post by letank »

the test is 85% accurate... can yield false positive as well as false negative... basically as long as you do not have underlying conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, heart conditions or lungs issues you should fare better.
Wishing the best to those sailors and the others serving the country in these challenging times
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 pm the test is 85% accurate... can yield false positive as well as false negative... basically as long as you do not have underlying conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, heart conditions or lungs issues you should fare better.
Wishing the best to those sailors and the others serving the country in these challenging times
There is about a half dozen different tests used currently with different degrees of accuracy.

Another factor is over active immune systems. They attack the virus too much and cause excessive inflammation in the lungs.
2017 JKU Rubicon

bigun

Post by bigun »

The non elected official speaks

https://www.newsmax.com/us/fauci-corona ... 0102n06k4j
Fauci Says Nation Will Have 'Rolling Re-entry' From Coronavirus Restrictions