Exhaust manifold advice, which one is best?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Jondah

Exhaust manifold advice, which one is best?

Post by Jondah »

Hi, I am in that wonderful spot all Jeep owners find themselves in at one time or many others. Replacing a poorly designed and manufactured exhaust manifold that cracked for no good reason...

There are a few options, in my research, none seem to be bulletproof. I would love to spend more money on one that would work properly but so far can't see a clear winner. I would prefer to support a US company and not by any more Chinese crap.

I don't want to do this but one time. Hell, I don't even want to do it once.

I have read of many people breaking the Banks and Borla as easily as the OEM. I have read many people having good luck with a cheap Ebay item, but can't find it on Ebay, no one seems to know what make/model it is?

So between the Dorman, Crown, Banks. Borla, Mopar, mystical Ebay model, and whatever else might be out there... I could use some advice.

Got any?

will e

Re: Exhaust manifold advice, which one is best?

Post by will e »

Welcome. I would find a good used one.
What year Jeep do you have?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Post by letank »

Welcome to the asylum,

I got mine from Ebay over 10 years ago on the 85, yes it was Made in China (about $80ish), like most parts nowadays. Interestingly enough the 74 still has the OEM exhaust manifold and it cooked for a few years when I was running too lean due to a overacting EGR valve.
Also from my experience the copper gasket MRG7174 is a good product from Mr Gasket.

And be sure to use pb blaster or you favorite solvent to loosen the exhaust manifold bolts, a mix of heat, impact driver, more pb blaster, or mix of 50/50 acetone/auto transmission fluid, and repeat for 2 weeks every few days!

bjs have those... but after 10years the price is $200 for one...

https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Exhaust-Mani ... c_114.html

Not too sure about NJ emission testing... basically how close to OEM should the exhaust be?

Also Quadratec sells a bunch of them too,

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/je ... e%3A360c.i.

I have no financial gain by referring those vendors...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

When I researched it the stock ones were just as good airflow.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Eldog22

Post by Eldog22 »

I have a pair off my 73. Ill have to Look at the condition of them.