Power steering pump

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Nutsiam

Power steering pump

Post by Nutsiam »

1988 grand Wagoneer. Has anyone had luck pulling the pulley off of the power steering pump after 30 years or are there any pulleys from other vehicles I could slip on a new power steering pump.
1988 Grand Wagoneer Buff Yellow New to me August 2019
1st GW 1988 Charcoal burnt to the ground. Ya CHARCOAL
1990 GW Parts vehicle, no motor, no fog lights, no right front marker light, no chrome on top of windshield. All parts moving to the buff one.

letank

Re: Power steering pump

Post by letank »

PB blaster, or 50% acetone/transmission fluid, let is soak for a few hours and repeat if it is that bad. May be an overnight stay in the freezer. You can tighten or motion clockwise a smidge to loosen rust

Otherwise it is a standard GM PS system
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yes. Are you using the correct puller made for the job?

Corrosion isn't really a problem since the interference fit is too tight for water to get in other than right at the end.

If you have a welding torch you could get the puller set up then apply the heat to the hub from the back.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Nutsiam

Post by Nutsiam »

Yes I thought I had the correct puller but wasn’t watching and it slid off the side of the groove. Kept attempting to get the pulley off so I could at least get my bracket and I and messed up that pulley so I’m looking at buying a junk pump with the pulley and bracket since my bracket is broke and I would have to weld it. I figured with some heat and the correct puller i would be able to remove the pulley. Just looking for some guidance and that it has been done. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
1990 GW Parts vehicle, no motor, no fog lights, no right front marker light, no chrome on top of windshield. All parts moving to the buff one.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I have a Harbor Freight puller. I used hose clamps instead of the sleeve to hold the jaws against the hub of the pulley.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Nutsiam

Post by Nutsiam »

I think the hose clamps are a good idea.