Its been over a year and I'm back to see what Ive missed.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Bones

Its been over a year and I'm back to see what Ive missed.

Post by Bones »

I moved to Mooresville NC from NJ. I love NC. I'm also a productive part of society and plan to do my part to make NC better. Been here almost 3 months now.

Still have my 88 GW. Had it transported down here. I couldn't bring myself to sell it...yet. I now have a larger garage "bonus" and excellent weather to work on it. Haven't had time to do much been fixing up small stuff around the house of course. Did manage to just replace carb. I had a hard time getting it to start/idle it was hit or miss. By the time I spend time trying to find out if it was a 23.00 part then 30.00 part and so on I saved my self hours.

I do have 1 issue that still is a problem. I THINK I lose prime if the truck sits over night. Takes a lot of cranking to fire up right away. Not 100% sure yet.
The next things I want to address will be installing HEI ignition sys and the rear brakes (brakes are easy) the HEI a bit of a challenge because at this moment I'm not sure what I can remove or what I have to do to make this happen. I'll research on here when I'm ready to address that or ask for some assistance. Here is my older post if anyone was interested to see what I've done. SUBJECT: My 88GW Weekend Cruiser build.

PossumJr

Re: Its been over a year and I'm back to see what Ive missed.

Post by PossumJr »

Welcome home, if there's anywhere I've thought would be a nice place to move to it would be the western part of the state, spent some time out that way for college and really liked it out around Rowan and Iredell County. Good news is you can usually find pork roll down here if you look for it.

As for ignition there's more than one route for HEI or an upgrade along those lines. In my opinion, as long as your ignition module doesn't need replacing, just swapping in the parts for a "TFI upgrade" is the best bang for your buck when you've got Duraspark already (don't know if this applies to a late 80s rig though).
1979 J10, 360/QT

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome back! Don't mess with the HEI till you get the hard start fixed. ;)

Which carb do you have? It sounds like either the choke isn't working or you are losing fuel over night. Try putting a small amount of gas into the throat of the carb, put he air cleaner back on, and see if she starts.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I bet the fuel is boiling out of the carb. Check to see if the Fenalic/plastic spacer is under the carb. These FSJs are plagued with heat around the carb and AMC added the spacer to minimise the issue but I saw vapor lock on hot days in Florida. I have a HEI, spacer and electric fuel pump on all my FSJs.