Would any of these oil filter adapters work on our rigs?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
will e

Would any of these oil filter adapters work on our rigs?

Post by will e »

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-fil ... -adapters/

I have a AMC V8. I want to add an oil temp gauge and sending unit. This looks like a pretty slick option (and I don't have to drill a hole into the pan...)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Would any of these oil filter adapters work on our rigs?

Post by Stuka »

I think it would work, except the oil pressure reading would be incorrect because of its location. It would read a lot higher than what the engine was actually seeing because its before the oil pressure relief valve.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

The short answer I believe is yes. The 13/16-16 should be the one. Decent idea to get an oil temp reading.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Yeah, I am looking at using it for oil temp, not oil pressure. Although I might use the second tap for my oil pressure fuel pump cut off switch.

My understanding is the best place to get the highest temp is the pan itself. My approach to gauges is to understand what is 'normal' for what you are reading and then notice if you get out of normal specs. So even if it reads a 'lower temp' than the oil pan, I will still see a difference if the oil is getting hotter than normal.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ahh, I misread, sorry. It should be fine for oil temp. The best place to measure is at the end of the line before oil returns back to the pan, but this should give you a good idea of the temps before they enter the system. Most newer vehicles measure temps just before the oil cooler, but we don't have oil coolers in stock form.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ