New Jeep issues???

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

New Jeep issues???

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

To you guys with new jeeps:

Jeep Wrangler under investigation after reports of bad frame welds, steering issues

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jeep-wrang ... s-steering

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

May be worth having checked out.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: New Jeep issues???

Post by Stuka »

Typically I would say its on fox news, so take it with a grain of salt.

But, the steering issue is real.The steering "feel' between the JK and JL changed drastically. The caster spec is different between them. And setting a JL to 5.5-6 degrees of caster greatly improves the steering. It will get rid of any shimmies or wandering feel. And just makes the steering feel better. As I recall I have my current JK set to 4.9. My old JK was at 5.2.

As for the frames, this most likely impacts some date range. As I recall the frames are manufactured by another companies and delivered to the Jeep assembly plant. Jeep most likely knew of the issues, but halting production is very costly. Especially since it was most likely early in the production cycle. But being that the frame is fully boxed, its unlikely a few bad welds will have any real impact. Unless its related to suspension bracketry or the like.

But the real question is, how did they get bad? Poor programming on the robots maybe? These things should not be getting welded by people, we are too slow for todays mass production. Its all done by robots.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

babywag

Post by babywag »

Stuka wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 am Typically I would say its on fox news, so take it with a grain of salt.
It's all over the net...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2914 ... omplaints/

"Late-model Jeep Wrangler JL SUVs allegedly have welding defects in their frames that could potentially pose a safety risk, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. No accidents or injuries have been reported, however.

In response to the owner of a 2018 JL Wrangler who complained to the agency last year, NHTSA has opened an investigation to determine if poor-quality frame welds "compromise the structural integrity" of 2018 and 2019 model JL Wrangler SUVs. At issue, according to NHTSA, are welds with holes, welds with improper penetration, too much slag (a coating, like a scab, that forms on top of welds), and splash (bits of the weld material splattering onto the metal) that can be found "at a variety of locations on the frame assembly."
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

babywag wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:20 am
Stuka wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 am Typically I would say its on fox news, so take it with a grain of salt.
It's all over the net...
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2914 ... omplaints/

"Late-model Jeep Wrangler JL SUVs allegedly have welding defects in their frames that could potentially pose a safety risk, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. No accidents or injuries have been reported, however.

In response to the owner of a 2018 JL Wrangler who complained to the agency last year, NHTSA has opened an investigation to determine if poor-quality frame welds "compromise the structural integrity" of 2018 and 2019 model JL Wrangler SUVs. At issue, according to NHTSA, are welds with holes, welds with improper penetration, too much slag (a coating, like a scab, that forms on top of welds), and splash (bits of the weld material splattering onto the metal) that can be found "at a variety of locations on the frame assembly."
That's why I said "typically". I am aware its posted everywhere, including on NHTSA's own site.

Looking over on the JL forums, there are definitely issues for some owners. The trac-bar bracket and in some cases control arm brackets have welds that don't penetrate the frame side correctly on one side, so it relies on welds from just the other side. But its not all of them. Many posted photos of clean welds. One posted a photo of one that had been manually rewelded at the factory, and looked terrible.

So the frame itself looks to be fine. But brackets welded onto the frame is where the issue is. I am curious if the OEM welds those brackets on, and then e-coats the frame, or are the brackets welded on later, meaning they have to try and weld through the e-coat. Because many posted photos of welds that are rusting, but the frame isn't. Which suggests that they may not have been coated at the same time, or the alloy used in the weld is maybe not optimal for the coating.

EDIT: Looking further, Jeep already issues a stop sale and recall on the effected Jeeps last year. So either this is looking into that same issue, or another one has popped up.
2017 JKU Rubicon

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

Stuka wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 am ...As for the frames, this most likely impacts some date range. As I recall the frames are manufactured by another companies and delivered to the Jeep assembly plant. ...
Mobis NA is involved with the frame/chassis and KUKA Toledo Operations makes the body shells for the Wranglers but if I remember right final assembly is all on Chrysler FCA. I wonder if any of the final welding for things such as brackets on the frame is done by Chrysler or Mobis? Either way I would have imagine this comes down to a result of retooling and switching production from the JK to JL so it would probably be early production JLs.
1979 J10, 360/QT

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

PossumJr wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:17 pm
Stuka wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:12 am ...As for the frames, this most likely impacts some date range. As I recall the frames are manufactured by another companies and delivered to the Jeep assembly plant. ...
Mobis NA is involved with the frame/chassis and KUKA Toledo Operations makes the body shells for the Wranglers but if I remember right final assembly is all on Chrysler FCA. I wonder if any of the final welding for things such as brackets on the frame is done by Chrysler or Mobis? Either way I would have imagine this comes down to a result of retooling and switching production from the JK to JL so it would probably be early production JLs.
Yeah, it seems like only early models were effected. And its typically of first model year vehicles, is why I always avoid a first model year for anything. The number of little tweaks between my old '08 JK and my '17JK is huge. TONS of little changes and tweaks to improve things over the years.
2017 JKU Rubicon