So i borrowed money and i feel like ive paid it off nearly but...

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

So i borrowed money and i feel like ive paid it off nearly but...

Post by candymancan »

I borrowed money from a friend awhile ago when i was having financial issues.. and ive been paying it back slowely.. i borrowed 3k$

Ive been paying it back. 50 here 100 there 150 or 209 here.. and cash wise ive paid back about 1000$. She has had alot of car issues and shes asked if i could fix them and shell count that towards what i owe.

But the problem is this.. so far ive done these repairs.

1. Replaced all 4 struts
2. Replaced her master brake cylinder
3. Replaced both cv axles
4. Replaced passenger caliper.
5. Replsced her brake pads and rotors 2 times ( she always waits until he rotors are torn up with no pads)
6. Replaced her alternator
7. Replaced her timing chain abd broken timing chain guides as well as dropping the oil pan to get the pladtic debris from guides out.
8. Replaced her headliner. Seats and carpet with new ones ( well better ones from thr salvage yard

And the finsl one the other day i replaced her leaking water pump.

Mind you this is also a 04 chevy malibu with a 2.2 ecotech engine... complete pain in the ass to work on.

I feel the work ive done far exceeds whats i owe her snd yet she still thinks i owe her 2k$.. I mean look at the list of crap ive done ? How much do you a shop would charge for all this... She keeps counting each job as like 100$ or so to knock off what i owe and tbh that kinda iritates me.. because working for 3-4 hours on each project sometimes longer is alot more then a 100$ of work.

Hell that timing chain and water pump would probly be an 800+$ job easily.

Am i wrong here ? I know i borrowed this money but i feel like ive more then made up for the balence i owe her in savings going to a mechanic...
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

PossumJr

Re: So i borrowed money and i feel like ive paid it off nearly but...

Post by PossumJr »

This is why in my book you don't lend money to friends, you help out with it as a gift so there's no arguments later. I recommend talking to her about it and seeing if there's a reasonable compromise on how much debt you worked off. If she agreed to count it towards what you owe her then she should do what was agreed upon; counting everything you've done as $100 per, you can round that up to $1, but in my opinion the work you've done more than pays off what you had left since it wasn't just simple brake and oil changes. I've never hated doing work so much as when it's on a small car with a transverse layout and OHC.
1979 J10, 360/QT

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

For each job you should have had her get a quote and then agreed on how much she was paying you.

Maybe you and she get on a phone and call a shop and ask how much to do the timing chain. Then call Midas and get a quote on the brake job.

Prolly could find a web site that has these quotes.

But again, shoulda done this up front.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

PossumJr wrote:This is why in my book you don't lend money to friends, you help out with it as a gift so there's no arguments later. I recommend talking to her about it and seeing if there's a reasonable compromise on how much debt you worked off. If she agreed to count it towards what you owe her then she should do what was agreed upon; counting everything you've done as $100 per, you can round that up to $1, but in my opinion the work you've done more than pays off what you had left since it wasn't just simple brake and oil changes. I've never hated doing work so much as when it's on a small car with a transverse layout and OHC.

Tell me about i hate front wheel drive cars.. and this stupid 2.2 ecotech is a pain in the ass... the water pump is driven by the timing chain and to get to everything you hsve to go by feel and comtort yourself to even do anything..

Took me 2 hours to even get the water pump off..

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Did you buy any of the parts for these repairs? If so you will have receipts for money that can be applied to what is owed.
Next you need to find a friend with access to AllData. Have them look up each of the repairs that you have done. That will give you the required hours for a professional to do the repair. Then call a few shops around town and find their hourly rate. Average them out and cut that value in half. That is the amount you would charge a friend for a repair. Give her that info and show how much you've saved her and the new amount you still owe (if any). Good luck!
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I mean i dont care sbout paying her back. I always pay people back.. but its just so many repairs.. some of them big repairs so yea

will e

Post by will e »

Sell something, pay her back the $2K and be done with it. Stay friends.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

My guess is you just fix her car rather than having a conversation up front about how much she's paying you or decreasing your debt?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

No she even tell me she is counting it towards what i owe.. thrn later on she acts like i owe her the world and the thousands ive saved her doesnt count its getting frustrating

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Then the answer is to get it in writing. Next time.

Still might get somewhere showing her estimates of what you've done is worth.
Sic friatur crustulum

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

You may end up counting the labor as interest, get the friend paid off and slowly back away from working on their car to try keep your friendship.

will e

Post by will e »

Again, I would sell something and pay her off and be done with it. If she asks you to work on the car after you've paid her off, ask her where the money went. You have 4 cars listed in your sig. Pick one, sell it, pay her off.

Rule of thumb: Never borrow money from friends unless you will pay it back the same week.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

XSapper

Post by XSapper »

will e wrote:Again, I would sell something and pay her off and be done with it. If she asks you to work on the car after you've paid her off, ask her where the money went. You have 4 cars listed in your sig. Pick one, sell it, pay her off.

Rule of thumb: Never borrow money from friends unless you will pay it back the same week.
Good advice!