The Ted thread...

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

KJ Ryu

Re: The Ted thread...

Post by KJ Ryu »

Now ya got me curious. Is he on lostjeeps or jeepkj? (forums, like this one) I may know him on there, if so. Well, "know" as well as I know any of you, I guess. :mrgreen:
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

derf

Post by derf »

KJ Ryu wrote:Now ya got me curious. Is he on lostjeeps or jeepkj? (forums, like this one) I may know him on there, if so. Well, "know" as well as I know any of you, I guess. :mrgreen:
Possibly. He's active in the Liberty community though I don't know what forums and groups he's in.

His wife drives a black CRD that is at about 200K miles and I'm sure I'll be over there helping with the timing belt and head work.

His other one is lifted on 32s with ARB lockers front and rear. The front diff is an upgraded housing but I forget who makes it. ARB bull bar with a winch in the front as well. He and his wife call it "Grumpy".

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

"Jeepin' by Al" makes the steel diff housing. The Jeeps seem familiar.
Ron

2006 KJ

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Since we started looking for a replacement car for the wife, things got interesting. Wife found a used 2014 grand Cherokee with very low miles and fully loaded. 3.6 motor.it was posted on a dealership website and had a price we could actually afford. So the wife contacts the sales people and starts the ball rolling. She already had a pre-approval for the loan so it should have been easy. Salesman does his stuff, gets our information, etc. A few hours into it the wife gets a message from the online sales people saying the Jeep wasn't available. Huh?
She asks the salesman and he says they don't know what they are talking about....it's in the lot.
Ok, continue on. They run both our credit and we are waiting for final approval and information for getting the Jeep.
Then we stop hearing from the guy. Message... message....email... No reply.
Then he comes back and says "oops, sorry. The Jeep is in the shop being fixed so it's not for sale. At the same time my wife sees the same Jeep ad on the website has updated and it is suddenly $10k more!!
But by now we've already taken the "hit" by way of a credit inquiry and have approval for a Jeep they will now not sell at the original listed price.
Guy offers her a "deal" on a Hyundai Santa Fe.
Seriously!?!
WTF!?!
So we are trying to find something else through that same dealer and actually found a few more grand Cherokees. But now, amazingly, the salesman isn't replying at all. Going to have to get the GM involved I suppose. He already contacted us previously to apologise for the "mix up".
Never thought buying a Jeep would be such a pita.

And to add to the troubles... I was weed eating last night and accidentally chucked a rock through the sliding glass door.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'd cross that dealer off my list of approved vendors.

If he'd just said oops, it was advertised incorrectly I might let them slide but this smells like a bait and switch.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

SJTD wrote:I'd cross that dealer off my list of approved vendors.

If he'd just said oops, it was advertised incorrectly I might let them slide but this smells like a bait and switch.
I think they honestly just screwed up and someone priced it wrong and posted the advert. Why not just admit it and be honest.
I would be happy to let it drop and move along except they ran out credit. I hate taking that hit as an inquiry for nothing.
Then we have a salesman who has become less than motivated. We pulled a stock number from one of their dealerships and told him let's try that one. That was around noon. It's now about 1900 and haven't heard a peep. I think I'll contact the GM tomorrow and see if he's willing to be honorable and do something. Otherwise we can only take the hit on the credit app, wife can climb on the social media parade, maybe report them to the BBB...
All because they don't want to be honest and treat a customer with some basic business respect.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I've been fortunate and never had to worry about my credit. How much does that inquiry decrease your score?

Last car I bought was a lease return, handed him a check. They still proceeded to do a loan. Since it was a Sunday and they couldn't clear the check???

If it wasn't a somewhat rare manual trans that we had driven to San Diego from LA to buy I would've walked.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Congratulations on the land and a place to call your own Ted!! If I happen upon any good scrap lumber I’ll save it to bring down to you.

As for the little econo box, I can understand the desire to upgrade but I know lots of people up in Gilpin County who beat the piss out of small cars like that on washboard roads with no ill effect. Is the steering loosening up much?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Only have a few days before leaving for a few weeks and am trying to get what I can done. Wife is struggling with being out in BFE/middle of nowhere) and me being gone is hard for her. City girls really don’t do well out here but I give her props for trying to work through it. She’s arranging to have coworkers stay here a few days while I’m away, and she may stay at some of there houses as well. She’s afraid if her car breaks down she would be in serious trouble. There’s virtually no cell service from our house to town and it would be a 14 mile hike she probably wouldn’t make. We tried to get her new tires today as it’s time. One less thing to worry about. But the tire place screwed up and the ones for her car won’t be here until Tuesday. Image
I started on hail proofing the house today. Her concern is a storm hits while we are at work and breaks windows or the sliding door. Dogs would escape and that would be BAD.
So I dig into my collection of free wood to see what I could make. It didn’t go quickly as I had to pry apart lumber from plywood,pull nails, then build. I managed to get the biggest concern, sliding glass door, about 80% complete. Need to trim a little so it doesn’t scrub the concrete, install the latches, and call it good. Eventually I’ll clean it up and paint it but that isn’t a priority right now. Tomorrow I will try and make some panels to cover the most vulnerable glass. Those will just hang from eyebolts and will probably be replaced by something better in the near future. After that I go back to grass duty. It’ll be a quick trim around the house itself as there isn’t time for more. Thankfully (and oddly) it hasn’t grown all that much. We’ve had rain and it’s been warm. Guess I’m catching a small break.
When I return I will probably talk to the homeowners insurance people and see if there is anything they can do. If we could get enough beyond our deductible to buy the materials, I will be residing the house. I kinda doubt it as vinyl is pretty cheap and our deductible isn’t. I won’t file a claim if we would only get a few hundred bucks. I hate even thinking about it but that’s why we pay for insurance. Less than 4 months in the house and seeing it all beat up drives me nuts.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

That’s some good storm protection right there. When you replace the siding maybe look at something more storm proof? I’m a big fan of the new hardie board siding options available.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

I'm going to talk to the insurance lady tomorrow. I detest the idea of replacing the vinyl with more of the same. It's just a waste when the next storm will destroy it as well. I'm hoping she will appraise it so I can use the money (minus the deductible) to buy and install Hardie. I'll likely run Hardie panel instead of lap siding as it goes up a lot faster. It'll look like board and batten when I'm done and will be much more resistant to the weather.
There isn't a lot I can do about the windows but the plywood shutters seem to function ok as a temporary fix. I'm pondering trying to make some sort of aluminum panels that either roll up or are easier to remove. But money and time, as usual, dictate.
Siding will look something like this:

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Been away for annual training and then school. Got home Sunday. Today I took down the craptastic "dog house" shed thing and used the waggy to yank some poles and posts out of the ground. I go back to work tomorrow so I'm taking a few moments for myself to decompress. First use of the fire pit, beer in hand, watching the sun set over the mountains.
Heaven. ImageImage

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Where’s the like button for the last one?

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Nikkormat wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:16 am Where’s the like button for the last one?
X2! :-bd
Ron

2006 KJ

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Been working Walter pretty hard lately. An anemic 360, 33” tires, and 272 gears does not make for an ideal tow rig. But, it’s what I got and stuff doesn’t do itself. Image
I’ve been collecting these shipping crates from the moving company my wife works for. They will be temp storage until I can make a shed materialize. I have 6 so far and plan to drag as many as possible home tomorrow. They are roughly 6’ tall x 7’ long. About 42”s wide. I can only carry 3 at a time so I’ll have to be up early tomorrow to get as many trips in as possible.
Yesterday I spent a while at storage. I managed to get all my toolboxes, tuff boxes, and some miscellaneous stuff loaded and dragged home. THAT was a heavy load!!! Doesn’t look like much but there are some heavy things in all those boxes.

Today I drove up into the mountains of manitou springs to pick up a free living room set. It was slow going but Walter just chugged a long. It sure is beautiful up there.
ImageImageImage

They literally have deer in their yards.