Looking for good Mechanic in Southern Massachusetts or Rhode island

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Looking for good Mechanic in Southern Massachusetts or Rhode island

Post by Jasonjoli »

I bought an '88 Grand Wagoneer last fall and I'm looking for a good shop to service it. Does anyone recommend a shop in southern Massachusetts or Rhode Island? (Not Cape Cod)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

letank

Re: Looking for good Mechanic in Southern Massachusetts or Rhode island

Post by letank »

seems like you need an alternate way to find a decent shop... you may have to find a place for each different areas that need maintenance. Check you local nextdoor.com

transmission, do not let them con you into a flush, drain and refill and band adjustment are all what is needed. Avoid national chains, they specialize in replacing transmission.

Otherwise grease all needed lube points, and of course most places will miss the double cardan needle points that are usually covered with mud or seized shut with dried up old grease
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

Thank you. I usually in try and do as much as possible myself. Due to lack of time I farmed out AC conversion and fuel sending unit replacement. It cost me quite a bit more than I was expecting which I'm not sure if that is due to the shop not being familiar with the fsj's. I usually trust the shop with my other cars I don't think they were trying to screw me. Was just looking for some possible leads in case I have any future work I'd like to get done

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

letank

Post by letank »

Indeed car repair/maintenance is getting more expensive. When I started to avoid being F---d, anything at the $200 (40 years ago) estimate was within reach, and every 5 years I doubled the amount... albeit I will not tackle a trans R&R because it is too heavy... and lack the space...

AC is pricey, probably $1K depending on what is being replaced.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)