Anyone bought through Copart?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Anyone bought through Copart?

Post by jpswapmohn »

Not sure where to put this, so am tossing it in General Chat..

Knowing I am on the casual lookout for a later model GM drive train, a friend oriented me toward Copart auctions. While it is entertaining to search their wares, it appears we mere citizens must work through a broker (or someone with a dealer license?) to bid/purchase.

I haven't figured out how to see what items that I "watch" finally sell for, so I have no idea if this is a viable option for finding a good donor at reasonable money.

1. For those familiar with the site, is there a way to find out what a lot sold for, in order to gauge what similar lots might ring out at?
2. Anyone bought through these auctions, as a dealer or through a broker? Your experience? Value? Recommendations?

Thanks,
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Mustang Shooter

Re: Anyone bought through Copart?

Post by Mustang Shooter »

I have not purchased anything through them yet. Like you, I have been looking into a full salvage vehicle for a project or two that we are starting.
I had found Salvage World Auctions https://www.salvageworldauctions.com/ while researching info for a Ford swap.
I was talking with our "boss" about the site and what we were doing, and he said to try Copart because through him we have an account. I'm not sure how much he has purchased using Copart but I will find out.
When I pulled the Copart page up and started to search, they have the exact same auctions as Salvage World.
I have been watching auctions through Salvage World and seeing what they are going for. The auction and final bid price seem to be listed for 2 or 3 days once its over.
There is also a total bid calculator that will show what you will be actually pay with all the varioius fees.
Here is an example of the two sites https://www.salvageworldauctions.com/sa ... houston-tx and https://www.copart.com/lot/30056419. They look very similar but have a few subtle differences.
I'll post an update once I talk with Rodney again.
Later,
Dan

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

My family used to own a salvage yard. Copat got started as a dealer/salvage only salvage pool and they still haven't successfully transitioned to what they are trying to become. Since I no longer am associated with a licensed business they now heavily restrict what I can and can't buy without going through a broker. Oddly enough I am allowed to bid on and buy cars with salvage or junk titles but not clean titles, which is incredibly stupid in my opinion and should be the other way around. I have found them very helpful when it comes to getting in contact with someone to act as a broker for you but it tends to add several hundred dollars for no legitimate reason. As far as seeing what something sold for, the only way I have ever done it is to sit there and watch the auction as it is happening.
'72 J4500

DarrylRon

Post by DarrylRon »

Crankyolman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm My family got much better thanks to these fat burners for men and used to own a salvage yard. Copat got started as a dealer/salvage only salvage pool and they still haven't successfully transitioned to what they are trying to become. Since I no longer am associated with a licensed business they now heavily restrict what I can and can't buy without going through a broker. Oddly enough I am allowed to bid on and buy cars with salvage or junk titles but not clean titles, which is incredibly stupid in my opinion and should be the other way around. I have found them very helpful when it comes to getting in contact with someone to act as a broker for you but it tends to add several hundred dollars for no legitimate reason. As far as seeing what something sold for, the only way I have ever done it is to sit there and watch the auction as it is happening.
What's the reasoning behind restricting what individuals can purchase from them by the way?
Last edited by DarrylRon on Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

DarrylRon wrote:What's the reasoning behind restricting what individuals can purchase from them by the way?
I have no idea. If I remember right 20 years ago they would allow individuals to bid on clean titles only, other types of titles were restricted to dealers and salvages. Maybe dealers got pissed off that regular people were buying the cars they wanted or something like that, or maybe they make more money requiring brokers, but I know if I want a car that doesn't have a salvage or junk title they require me to go through a broker. It all seems very stupid to me.
'72 J4500

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Salvage auction does look like a mirror of Copart (or vise versa). Not sure which came first.

I will look for the total bid calculator as well.

I can put up with a couple bills for a broker, but not some crazy % of bid crap. They are basically a proxy for paperwork and such, i assume. I also assume it is like a car auction where you have to have a dealer license to bid/buy. I never knew whether that was some law or just a way to keep prices in check to leave margin for the dealers to make a profit.

I definitely don’t have time to sit and watch the auctions live. My approach would be to set a max that i am willing to bid and walk away, same as if I were doing ebay. I don’t get caught up in the last minute gotta have it bidding. Never turns out well for me when i do that..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Justinsmith

Post by Justinsmith »

A friend of mine bought through the site and I think he was pleased with what he got. I will ask him to see if I can get some useful information from him.

Crankyolman

Post by Crankyolman »

Last time I was seriously considering something I think the broker wanted a couple hundred bucks for his part.
'72 J4500