Little rant to vent steam

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Little rant to vent steam

Post by candymancan »

So one of my big hobbies/passions and something i spend alot of time and money on is the aquarium hobby.

I have 8 fish tanks in my house all fresh water except two tanks. Fresh is fairly easy to take care of but salt can be a little difficult or i should say time consuming as its a little more intricated then fresh especially for reef.fish tanks.

My main salt tank is a 60 gallon hexagon its a reef with about 500$ im corals and maybe 400$ in fish.. This tank requires more maintenance as i need to make sure the ph calcium, alkalinity, nitrates, salinity, temperature are all good not to mention feeding the fish.. cleaning skimmers and stuff like that.

My mom wanted a family gathering this christmas and while i didnt want to go in fear of losing all my fish or corals i decided to go and we all went in one SUV.

Cleaned all my tanks before hand changed the water. bought timers for the lights as coral will die after 3 days with no light and fish can die in their sleep 8ve seen in before if you mess up their sleep cycles.

I enlisted a close friend to take care of my fish.. leaving intructions and showing her how to feed turn the lights off and top off water in the salt tanks because water evaporates not salt and itll raise salinity.

Anyway a day after i left my friend said she got a new job and the person wanted her to start right away and shed be gone for 3 days... Im like uhhh ok.. well keep the blinds and curtains open so all my tanks have a day and night cycle and leave the lights off and just feed them extra before you leave.

She comes back after 4 days as the lady lied to her and stayed at her familys house for christmas i knew thatd happen... My friend gets back and i lost two fish equaling 44$ and 30$ in my fish only salt tank.. I think the yellow tang judging by the pic died by lodging himself between a rock. So whatever.

My reef tank was ok and all my fish were alive in it.. My skimmer was clogged and the water level was low and they havent been fed in 4 days. So i showed her how to clean the skimmer and she fed my fish..

The next day my tang was looking weird lighter colored.. I had her check all my water perams by explaining how to test it..They all turned up ok but the alkalinity was 8-9 vs 11 so it dropped alot and the ph was 8.0 whi h is ok but its lower then the 8.3 it was when i left.

I asked her to just keep an eye on it and to not fill it with water to keep ph and alkalinity higher..

I wake up today and i get the bad news that 4 of my fish are dead and the rest are slugish and breathing hard... I told her to take my filter pads out put a bag of charcoal in the water and within an hour the fish were looking better.. All but 1 she saw earlier but hasnt seen all day.. another 60$ fish.. So i lost almost 250$ in fish...

There is no disease thats kills in 10 hrs and ph at 8.0 doesnt do it either.. 8.0 is still ok. I suspected with the fish getting better after adding carbon that my idiot friend who always has dry hands had lotion on and when she put her hands in my tank it poisoned them.

I cant prove it though but yea...

... I was suppose to come home 2 days ago.. but my mom insisted on staying until today the 29th.. So ive been gone for 9 days now.... Im tired of sleeping on this hard bed.. tired of listening to babies and toddlers screeming all day.. i miss my fish and cats and my wagoneer lol..

I just want to go home. The holidays kinda sucked for me.. I got no presents no cards not that i cared anyway..all i got was to see my brother which was nice and install his brakes rotors brake lines and calipers... and see other family members who i dont care about.. And lose 250$ in fish... My Family was like just buy new fish.... Ok i wish i could just buy new family members.. My fish are my pets like a dog or cat to someone else.. and i dont have the money right now to just replace them

So im pretty upset..

Sorry im just needing to vent.... This christmas sucked... Next time if i ever visit family im taking my own car.. Im never going with everyone in one vehicle and be trapped like this for 9 days. Not to mention 9 days of not working and bills are due on 10th... so yea
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)