Reminder about used vehicles

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

Reminder about used vehicles

Post by Mustang Shooter »

Hey guys,
I ran into a situation in my shop Friday afternoon that I wanted to use as a reminder about used vehicles.
Some of you know that my brother and I have a small restoration shop.
We have a customer that brought in his 1st gen Bronco for some major metal work a few weeks ago and, yesterday I finally was able to start some under dash disassembly. When I started to pull the blower housing from under the dash, I found a plastic baggie stuffed behind the blower housing.

Image20181109_141100_001 by Mustang Shooter, on Flickr

The baggie contained 40 folded packages.

Image20181109_141121_001 by Mustang Shooter, on Flickr

We opened 1 package up and it contained a white powder.

Image20181109_141420 by Mustang Shooter, on Flickr

OK, so we are pretty sure that we have found an old drug transport stash, but what should I do next?

I called a family member that is former law enforcement and told him the situation. He said that I should never try to dispose of something like this on my own and should always call the local law enforcement, in our case it is the Sheriffs Dept., and to notify the vehicle owner.

I called my Sheriffs Dept., explained the situation and, the Deputy I talked to said he would send another Deputy to take possession of what we found.
When the Deputy arrived, I explained the situation showing him where I found the bag, that I would get him the vehicle owners contact info and, the owner was aware of what was happening and was ready to answer any questions that may come up.
When we showed him what we found, he confirmed that it was definitely a very old stash due to the appearance of the bag, dirt on the bag surface and the design of the individual packages. He also said that without a doubt it was heroin and, was the most street ready heroin he had ever seen.
After the Deputy took possession of the drug stash and was leaving, we all agreed that the owner was lucky nothing ever happened while he had been driving the Bronco.

After going throug this experience, I guess I want to suggest that you should always attempt to thuroghly check out a used vehicle when its purchased and that if you do encounter something, contact your local Police or Sheriff so they can properly dispose of anything found.

Later,
Dan

SJTD

Re: Reminder about used vehicles

Post by SJTD »

So...how much was it worth?

I assume it was more than a few bucks. Hard to believe someone forgot about it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Tanker

Post by Tanker »

I remember reading about a Mercedes that was going threw a frame off resto. When they cleaned off the vin number to send to Mercedes they found several swastikas on the vin. Yep a war car brought home then sold to this guy who drove it and never new the history of it.
Jakes Full Size Jeep Junkyard
Hire the handicap there fun to watch. IR1

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

SJTD wrote:So...how much was it worth?

I assume it was more than a few bucks. Hard to believe someone forgot about it.
We asked the Deputy the same question. He said that he wouldn't be sure until it was weighed and it would also depend on purity.

I've done some searching on the internet about this, there are a few sites https://heroin.net/about/how-much-does-heroin-cost/,
https://www.rehabcenter.net/the-average ... he-street/, they seem to be treatment help sites but, they show that it is between $15 to $20 per .10 gram.
Typical street sale amounts are said to be .10 gram and we found 40 packages that should be ready for street sale. If we theorize that this is the higher end at $20, what we found would be valued at $800.
I also found info at https://www.unodc.org/doc/wdr2017/8.5_P ... pe_US.xlsx that makes it appear the price has dropped since 1996. Who knows what that stuff was worth when placed behind the blower housing. My uncle feels that because of the packaging, it had to have been placed in the 1980's to very early 1990's.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I woulda sold it lol haaha.

In reality i woukds just flushed it or something and not bothered myself with police but thats just me
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Did the police give you any paperwork? Typically seizure tags for evidence, chain of custody.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

Xplitive wrote:Did the police give you any paperwork? Typically seizure tags for evidence, chain of custody.
No, we were not given any type of paper work or chain of custody documents.

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Well, I guess it wasn’t your property they were taking (even better scenario)!
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

Bingo! You've got it.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

This is one crazy story! I can't believe what you found... can't believe it was actually drugs and can't believe the police just took them and walked away.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow! Only things I have found are mumified rats and wasps

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote:I woulda sold it lol haaha.

In reality i woukds just flushed it or something and not bothered myself with police but thats just me
Please, never, ever flush drugs down the drain. Its the reason they have drug drop offs to properly dispose of them. Flushing drugs can pollute huge amounts of water. The amount found here could leave trace amounts in water for a very long time as the water filtration systems use wont pull it out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Mustang Shooter

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... ts-salmon/
https://www.wfla.com/national/mussels-i ... 1196383247

Yeah, Jerred brought the same topic up this afternoon when we were in town at the parts store.
We were also told that the porta-potty companies that service some of the outdoor festivals can not take the waste to the normal city waste water treatment facility but, must take it to another that deals with hazardous chemical waste.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Stuka wrote:
candymancan wrote:I woulda sold it lol haaha.

Please, never, ever flush drugs down the drain. Its the reason they have drug drop offs to properly dispose of them. Flushing drugs can pollute huge amounts of water. The amount found here could leave trace amounts in water for a very long time as the water filtration systems use wont pull it out.
That explains the 30 foot aligators in the NY sewers :D