Need some advice before i lose my cool on this tint shop please

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Need some advice before i lose my cool on this tint shop please

Post by candymancan »

I need some advice on how to proceed with this. I am about 2 seconds from going to this shop and banging on their garage door until i get a response.

The issue is this, i had my Waggy tinted 20% all windows but windshield bout 1-2 years ago. I paid nearly $400 for it, and i paid for the best they had.. ceramic nano whatever tint. I had issues with the Job they did on the rear window. There were far too many bubbles in the rear where the heating element is. I asked them to redo the rear window the 2nd time they did it it looked great.. however i noticed the color of this window looked "brownish" but i didnt think much of it. I did suspect they used cheap tint to redo it.

Well as time has gone by this window is now turning purple. Which means it was cheap tint when they redid it because the ceramic doesnt do this. I emailed them months ago, as they arent answering calls.. It goes right to a recording" due to covid blah blah email us". No response to my email. I emailed them again 7 days ago.. finally got a response but this time i didnt mention my name i just said my "JEEP" you guys did. They said sure well redo it for you PER MY WARRANTY which is lifetime. Then he asked me to give my name and number and the Jeep model so he can look it up. And hell give me a call right away.. I sent the info he requested.. And no call or response to my emails. Its been 7 days now.

Clearly they are ignoring me and the $400 i spent on this tint.. They replaced it with cheap ass tint when they redid it.. and now they dont wanna redo it again. They wouldnt have had to redo it if they just f'ing did it right the first time.. or used the ceramic tint the 2nd time.

So since they dont answer calls which go to a automatic voice mail thing over covid.. they dont allow people in the store, im seriously thinking of driving to the shop but going to the back and seeing if i can talk to someone physically. Or banging on the garage door if its closed. Because this is starting to get to the point where theyre testing my patience.

What would you guys do ?

upload
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

HowardT64

Re: Need some advice before i lose my cool on this tint shop please

Post by HowardT64 »

I am finding it hard to trust anyone anymore with my rig as well. I recently had some engine work done, was chastised and chewed out but they finally got it right. I know it hurts to have someone treat you like this. I know how it feels and many times I had to chock it up to a lesson learned and move on. Perhaps you could find someone proper to do it? You may only cause yourself grief if you worry too much. 400$ is a lot to spend, but your own piece of mind is worth much more than that.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If they won't respond to you, make an "anonymous" appointment to have your car done and show up with your purple tint and the paperwork.

Good luck.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

GREAT idea haha. Ill do just that

cone

Post by cone »

Take them to small claims court. It's work for me in similar situations. Sometimes even the threat of doing it will get them to respond.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

I had a similar experience. The rear window on FSJ's with rear defroster is INCREDIBLY difficult to put tint on. The ceramic tint is super stiff and has a hard time forming over each bump of the defroster without bubbling. You also have a lot of dust and dirt on these old rigs that can get caught in the tint and turn to bubbles. So they used the cheaper tint that more easily conforms over the defrosters. Sad to hear this, but I'm sure the business owner knows that if he redoes the tint that in 2 years you'll be back again. Because the ceramic is still not an option.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe but he should disclose this and not charge for the good stuff.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea exactly.. i knew itd be hard to do but he assured me he had no issues doing it

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

I spend more time lurking than posting on this board, and I almost went past this one, but it's time for some perspective.

You had this done and then redone three years ago. As soon as it was redone, you suspected the new work did not use ceramic tint.
Reference: https://www.tintdude.com/forums/topic/8 ... t-ceramic/

But you're posting this thread three years later. That tells us that for three years, this is not something that's been a priority to you. That's an important point.

Window tint is not an essential service. It's not something the public needs in order to continue living safe and healthy lives. That's also an important point.

Right now, lifetime warranty or not, there's a pandemic going on. Many businesses are closed or have limited hours. That's another important point.

Let's put those points together. You are dissatisfied with a luxury service that has not been important enough to you to rectify at any point during the three years since it was performed, and right now the shop who performed the service is operating under limited hours - if they are operating at all.

Conclusion:
If you demand an immediate resolution on a low-priority luxury service during a global health crisis, you're going to look like a selfish, arrogant punk.

Ride this out. Focus on something else that you can do right now, and revisit the issue after the shop resumes normal operating hours.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I suspected all of the tint was cheap stuff.. but it turns out its only the rear window. The other tint isnt changing colors it just had weird dots in it. That post youre linking has nothing to do with my issue in this thread. My issue in this thread is the window THEY REDID thats only showing the pink color 3 years later (today) That thread i mentioned the window was redone and looked good.. because at the time it was black... but NOW its changing colors do you understand ? .. only dyed film changes colors and it takes years

As for why i didnt try back then ? Actually i did.. i went back to them 3 years ago and they blew me away like they are now. This is 3 years before the virus and my dare I say shelfishness.

Also calling me a selfish arrogant punk for wanting something fixed that theyre responsible for. Who do you think you are ? Im suspecting now you are affiliated with them in some way.

Look theyre still doing tint. I met some people when i was at harbor frieght next to them who had appointments recently whome i steared away to somewhere else.

Also He said sure np bring it in when i emailed him acting like someone else. THEN after he found out it was me hes been ignoring me. Meaning he knew he BEEPED up putting cheap BEEP on my Jeep. So he isnt responding now. I cant believe youre siding with that ?

There is a difference between them going..Sure well fix it no problem just give it some time with this virus. AND them flat out ignoring me completetly. Or do you not see that ?

Virginia is beyond essential only were in phaze 3 now lol. And we were in phaze 2 for the longest time.. Everything is open here and has been open for awhile.

Ive already moved on trying to get them to fix it, its clear they wont. Im about to file a civil suit against them. And im getting the window redone elsewhere and putting the bill for that in my suit. Im also going after them for court fees as well. I have the warranty on paper they dont stand a chance in hell.

Btw its easy to call people names on a forum isnt it ? Tough guy.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Might be easier to park in their drive way and not move until they fix it.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

LOL i thought about it, but it isnt worth the confrontation, ill just let a judge laugh at them and have em pay the $150 i have to spend to have a shop fix it

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmAlso calling me a selfish arrogant punk for wanting something fixed that theyre responsible for.
Let's read what I wrote again.

*If* you demand an immediate resolution on a low-priority luxury service during a global health crisis, you *are going to* *look like* a selfish, arrogant punk.

Nowhere did I call you anything.

I selected my words very carefully to make my message as clear as possible. If you choose to read it incorrectly, and are hurt by an accusation I didn't make, that's your choice, not mine.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pm Who do you think you are ? Im suspecting now you are affiliated with them in some way.
My identity is not material to this discussion, but I have no affiliation with any tint shop and have never been to Virginia. If I was working for them, I'd cut you a check and suggest you take your business elsewhere in the future; old vehicles are more troublesome to work on than newer ones, and their owners often have a combination of unreasonable expectations and empty pockets that make them not worth the bother.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmAlso He said sure np bring it in when i emailed him acting like someone else. THEN after he found out it was me hes been ignoring me. Meaning he knew he BEEPED up putting cheap BEEP on my Jeep. So he isnt responding now.
Wait a moment. You pretended to be someone else in order to kink the discussion? Dishonesty will not help you.

Sometimes people stop responding once they realize who they're dealing with, or that they're dealing with someone who is dishonest with them. If that happens to you, it might be time to reexamine your approach.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmI cant believe youre siding with that ?
I'm not siding with anybody. Your post was titled, "Need some advice before i lose my cool on this tiny shop please.". I offered you measured advice on how to avoid losing your cool. In response, you lost your cool with me. Seems like there's a common factor here.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmVirginia is beyond essential only were in phaze 3 now lol. And we were in phaze 2 for the longest time.. Everything is open here and has been open for awhile.
Perhaps this shop is closed and only occasionally checking email and voicemail messages.

Perhaps the owner, or an employee, or a family member caught the Covid.

Perhaps a beloved pet died. Perhaps a teenage son or daughter got into a bad car crash. Perhaps an elderly relative took ill.

Perhaps the owner is out of state on his first real vacation in many years, and the shop is running on a skeleton crew, with nobody there who has the authority to handle your situation.

Perhaps they simply don't want to deal with a customer they believe is demanding, difficult to deal with, and likely impossible to satisfy. I've had customers like that, and I fired every one of them. They are more trouble than they are worth.

Being a reasonable adult, you will, of course, have considered these possibilities before you choose your course of action.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmIve already moved on trying to get them to fix it, its clear they wont. Im about to file a civil suit against them. And im getting the window redone elsewhere and putting the bill for that in my suit. Im also going after them for court fees as well. I have the warranty on paper they dont stand a chance in hell.
Let's talk about that for a moment.
Screenshot_20200705-001105_Chrome_rs.jpg
You posted the above on 07/05.

Now, which is it? Did you file a civil suit "a week ago" (one week before 07/5), or were you on that date "about to" file a civil suit? If you were "about to" on July 5, you must have done it by now. Did you do it?

We need to know what is actually happening so we can give you the advice you asked for. Help us understand which of your statements are true and which are not true so we can help you get the result you want.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmBtw its easy to call people names on a forum isnt it ?
I suppose it is for some people, but I try not to do it. That's why I didn't call you any names. However, I do speak frankly to those whom I feel are mature enough to take constructive criticism without getting defensive or going on the attack. Sounds like we aren't quite there yet.

candymancan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 pmTough guy.
Well, I never lost a fight yet, but to be fair, the last fight I had was around 1986; in adulthood, I have made it a policy to not get into situations that require fighting. It's an approach I recommend you give serious consideration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Wow.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Aside from all the above, even if he wins in court I don't think that means much. He has a piece of paper saying the guy owes him just like he has now. Still has to collect.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well the guy got served the papers aparently. And he called me and asked me to bring the Jeep in. Not trusting him with my Jeep ( as last time he left crap and trimmings on my floor and soapy stuff all over my door panels ) i said ill bring the window in and i put the one in storage on my Jeep. I went in on tuesday and spoke to him and he apologized and yada yada.. and i told him look man. Just put the good tint on i paid for. Do it on your spare time, even if i get it a week from now its fine.. I said do the customers you got first to make money but i just want what i paid for.

I said please do it right and put the ceramic on so i dont have to come back here in 3 years again like i am now. I was firm but cordial.. Like i said do it in a week i dont care make the money on stuff thats more important. Just get mine done eventually please thats all im asking.

I put the rear window on his table and he said hell contact me when its done. So well see.

Lets see how long it takes him to do it. Ill give him a week.. but after that i want my 300$ window back.

I dropped the court case against him for now. So im giving him the benefit of the doubt

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well took the guy 2 weeks. But i finally got my window back.
I gave him my window and put a spare in storage on my Jeep as i didnt want the guy crawling in my Jeep. Told him to take his time if he has paying jobs do them first. Hopefully he put the right tint on this time and i dont have to deal with this again turning colors in 2 or 3 years