Factory or dealer added

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
Horsman

Factory or dealer added

Post by Horsman »

Hate to ask a dumb question but how would I determine if my A/C system is factory or dealer added on a 79 Wagoneer?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455

sonoraed
Vendor

Re: Factory or dealer added

Post by sonoraed »

Far as I know ac for fsj’s we’re all American Air kits, did a few when they were new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by sonoraed on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Horsman

Post by Horsman »

sonoraed wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 pm Far as I know ac for fsj’s we’re all American Air kits, did a few when they new!

Looking up parts for the A/C system from multiple vendors and it notes factory or dealer added on some parts for the 1979 year model.
Jeff Horsman
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1971 Cutlass SX455

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Horsman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:59 pm
sonoraed wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 pm Far as I know ac for fsj’s we’re all American Air kits, did a few when they new!

Looking up parts for the A/C system from multiple vendors and it notes factory or dealer added on some parts for the 1979 year model.
The American Air kits could be installed at the factory, or by the dealer. It was the same underdash kit regardless. Its possible some other company made a system for FSJs, though I have not personally seen one.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

After thinking about it for a while newer FSJ's with the integrated control panel probably were factory, although still separate heater box and underdash ac evaporator, Jeep designed the panel to control both, it was cleaver and mickey mouse at the same time.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Here is how I figured it out. Look at the expansion valve.
drawing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

The expansion Valve on the top of page is internally equalized valve bottom valve is externally equalized hence the additional copper tube going suction tube, the top valve is called a peanut valve and commonly used on after market evaporators. I personally have never seen anything but the external valve on American air evaps factory or dealer installed.
But, the internal valve can be used if the R12 style service port on the suction tube is capped off, note it is a flare style fitting, but, you can convert to O-Ring style by using a adapter, o-ring is preferred when converting to 134A because they don't leak refrigerant quite as much, also flare type fitting are hard to find.I see them on small GA style aircraft and of course older oem style vehicles.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Another way on the 70's Jeeps to tell is the position of the AC compressor. If it's vertical instead of horizontal it's dealer added.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The parts book shows components for both factory and dealer installed (American Air) systems. Certainly the engine brackets are different for the two, with the dealer air installed on top of the existing brackets.

NB there are eight different bracket configs, each with its own half-page pic in the '74-80 parts book. Too much to post here.

Where I worked, I don't recall the shop ever installing AC in a Wagoneer or pickup. CJs yes, and infrequently.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.