Sigh...a.c compressor clutch locked up... No more ice cold air for me :-(

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
candymancan

Sigh...a.c compressor clutch locked up... No more ice cold air for me :-(

Post by candymancan »

So on the way home from thr salvage yard. I heard a pop noise and noticed the air started getting warm. I pulled over and turned the Jeep off and then saw smoke inside the cabin. Opened the hood and the compressor was smoking. It seized up. Not sure why i had smoke in the cabin though ? Would a seized compressor affect the blower motor in the dash ? Or do you think the dash motor was just pulling smoke into the car from the windsheild cowl ?

Anyway. Turned the a.c off and turned the Jeep back on the pully spins fine. Its just the comoressor clutch itself you know that turns on when the a.c is on.

This sucks i need my a.c and its far too hot and muggy in va for no a.c. Ill probably have to bring my ryobi battery powered fan with me now to at least get air blowing on my face lol. Or disconnect the compressor clutch power so i can have the dash fan blowing air at least.

So what do i do to fix this ? Its using R12 never converted or anything. One of the low pressure hoses has a buldge in it so its got a tiny leak was like this when i got it. I guess it ran outa mineral oil and seized up. Sigh

Can i just have the r12 sucked out. Unbolt the compressor and replace it and get a vacuum pump from autozone or have a shop vacuum the system and then refill with r12 ?

Or do i need to reolace the dryer/condensor as well. Sigh probly super expensive too there goes my tire and lift fund...

Also it wants to spin.. I actually took a screw driver and hammer to unseize it and had a friend turn it on for a split second and it starts spinning again slowly. So im wondering.. could i try to fill it with mineral oil and see if itll start working again or should i not try that ? Deff dont wanna fire on my Jeep.. or are there bearings on the clutch not lubed by the mineral oil inside ? That i can just replace ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Sigh...a.c compressor clutch locked up... No more ice cold air for me :-(

Post by candymancan »

So new conpressor dryer and condensor is only 250$ not too bad.. But i cant find replacement hoses. If i have replace all this crap i might as convert it to r134a. What do i need to do this ?

Anyone know where i can get some new hoses ?

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Sigh...a.c compressor clutch locked up... No more ice cold air for me [emoji20]

Post by sirrus »

Few weeks ago I was thinking about converting mine to r134a, so I did some research

88 GW A/C revival and R134a retrofit
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

However mine is working good, just needed new blower, resistor and a little more r12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

letank

Post by letank »

1988, is it a Sanden or a York? as far as hoses, you may need to find an AC shop that can redo the hoses for you... I would stick with R12 for our low tech system, R134 requires a better condenser aka parallel flow for better heat exchange and need higher pressure, so a new dryer filter. R134 hoses are different too... the old hoses can take the brunt... but it is always not if but when something will go bust... I converted my 86 honda civic to R134... not that good... it cycles too often... and not enough chill... It is holding pressure... I may need to switch back to R12... I picked up the system at the junkyard... and when I disconnected the first hose... it released all that refrigerant .... dang... glad I did not have my face close to the fitting... I installed a new compressor and new dryer/filter....

As for your compressor seizing I have no ideas why... lack of lubrication... it may now have been damaged and may not perform has well
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

sirrus
Vendor

Re: Sigh...a.c compressor clutch locked up... No more ice cold air for me [emoji20]

Post by sirrus »

1988 should be last year with York compressors, I think jeep started using sanden in 89

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I have a 90 not an 88. Its using the nee style compressor that Jeep put on the Grand wagoneers. Where is 88 coming from its in my sig haha.

Anyway. The compressor is 160$ on ebay. Brand new. The condensor is 74$ and the little canister is 16$. So 250$ isnt as bad as i was imagining. I was imagining 600+ plus two cans of r12 which will be 50$

Yea i found guides to convert it to 134.. seems too complicated for me.

So should i just get a new compressor or do i need a condensor and the canister thing ? Because i hear/read metal chunks of it seized coud have gotten in the system.

Also the compressors on ebay. Look just like mine. But the say R134A. Even though they all say for 88-91 grand wagoneers. Thats weird. That has to be a typo for 134a.

Because after reading the 134a guide id rather keep r12 lol. Just sucks the hose that has a buldge is the one going to the dash radiator.. How hard is it to get to that radiator ? Or do i gatta remove the entire dash ?

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I guess my link may have added some confusion about year of your rig. Missed it since Tapatalk doesn't show signatures

Compressor on ebay may say r134a if its pre filled with oil. Different oils are used for r12 (mineral) and r134 (pag). Ester oil works with both

Dash radiator aka evaporator? Undo few sheet metal screws along the front face and drop the whole AC thing from under the dash. No need to remove anything else.

Good practice to replace drier if you have system open. Then pull vacuum and recharge with r12. Needs 2 cans for a full charge IIRC

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

If you open the system you should replace the drier.

You have a failed hose and should replace it or have an AC shop put new hose on your fittings. Might as well do all the hoses since they're 30 years old.

The pumps are the same but for 134 they'll be filled with the wrong oil. Should be able to find one with the correct oil. Contact the vendor. Otherwise you'll have to flush the oil out and replace with the right stuff. Seems I've heard of something that's compatible with mineral oil but not PAG which is what the new pump is prolly full of.

If you convert to 134 the condenser and evaporator need to be flushed to remove the oil.

I'd say the evaporator isn't too hard to get to but you have the new dash.

Watch out for AC parts being sold for Wagoneers that are actually for the fancy '84 and up mini Cherokees.

Did I say you should replace the drier?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I just did a write up on how I did my conversion viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19070 .

I would just do the conversion at this point.

I will add some more details there rather than here.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Going to move this to the Air Conditioning section.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

SJTD wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:57 pm If you open the system you should replace the drier.

You have a failed hose and should replace it or have an AC shop put new hose on your fittings. Might as well do all the hoses since they're 30 years old.

The pumps are the same but for 134 they'll be filled with the wrong oil. Should be able to find one with the correct oil. Contact the vendor. Otherwise you'll have to flush the oil out and replace with the right stuff. Seems I've heard of something that's compatible with mineral oil but not PAG which is what the new pump is prolly full of.

If you convert to 134 the condenser and evaporator need to be flushed to remove the oil.

I'd say the evaporator isn't too hard to get to but you have the new dash.

Watch out for AC parts being sold for Wagoneers that are actually for the fancy '84 and up mini Cherokees.

Did I say you should replace the drier?

Yea i know all too well parts for the boxy cherokee's. Na the compressors im looking at look identical to mine, Althought they have 1 wire, and 1 ground bolted to the compressor itself, vs my compressor with a power and ground wire going into the harness, but since the engine is grounded and its bolted to the engine i dont think it needs the ground wire, just to be grounded to itself.

As for whats in it, from the question im reading someone asked, the compressor isnt filled with pag or mineral oil. The person selling them replied its lightly "oiled" to just keep a surface film on it, so it needs filled. I can pop the nut off the top and check to be sure. The drier ill buy its only 16$, i guess i can get the condensor too. $250 isnt bad.

The links below are the parts im looking at, they look like the right ones i need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1985-1991- ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UAC-Temp-Contr ... 2bcfd311b7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1984-1991- ... 0005.m1851

The hose uhg i really DO not wanna tear my dash off to get the line going to the evaporator coil.. Id have to remove the windsheild to get to the dash bolts.. That isnt worth damaging my gasket or windsheild over. Is there no way to get to the coil from under the dash by removing the fan motor or something ? Or does the hose disconnect at the firewall under the heatercore box ?

I guess i should flush out the evaporator coil ? Maybe its a good time for me to buy that Ryobi 1 gallon compressor since you need compressor air to flush the evap coil from the videos ive seen. I have like 8 ryobi lithium batteries and i like that their little compressor is battery powered been wanting one to take with me in my Jeep in case i need air for my tires or something

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Doesn't the AC still hang under the dash like the older models? I thought the new ones just had "integrated" controls for the same two totally separate heater and AC. No dash removal required.

Beware of Chinesium AC compressors. Bought one for my VW from a place in AZ, vacuumed, charged, ran for about a half mile and died. The vendor replaced it no questions asked. What does that tell you? I decided to pay the extra for a Sanden.

That was prolly ten years ago. Maybe they're better now.

If I wanted a small compressor it would run on 12V, not drill batteries. Unless they were 12V.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

can you run a 12v compressor out when your wheeling ? I have used those 12v ones before and they get the power outlet extremely hot.. I dont feel comfortable with that. Youd be suprised how strong lithium batteries are if you havent use battery powered tools. The earthquake XT impact is strong as hell. Knocked off nuts i nseconds that broke my 2ft breaker bar

I am 100% confused on summits website. They have like 200 diff sanden compressors all look the same as mine, and it just says "universal" doesnt show the vehicle they fit on. Like the one below looks like mine.. but i dunno.. I think ithis is the right one though.

What about the cheap condensor and drier i found ? Ill get the sanden compressor though

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta- ... endedparts

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

go to www.uacparts.com for tech info you can't log in without an account but website will allow you to access part application, drop down catalog then vehicle application, compressor is a Sanden earmount, two groove clutch with vertical tube-O ports.
Only difference between oils is R-12 uses mineral oil and 134A synth Pag 46 (usually)
As for hoses 134A uses a nylon inner liner called "barrier hose" because it has a smaller molecular structure.
As for the R-12 vs 134A performance to go UAC tech info check the glide rates of each refrigerant almost the same esp in the 35F to 55F range
Cheers