Gen IV install on 83 Cherokee

Area for stock and aftermarket air conditioning.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Gen IV install on 83 Cherokee

Post by Laredo Matt »

Mocking up the Gen IV VA unit to figure mounting points. My goal is have a usable glove box and have the evap unit as hidden as possible.

I've seen pictures on this thread of people installing the unit with the dash off. When you re-install the dash, do you have to pull the evaporator first? I installed my plastic mock up Gen IV unit and tried to install the dash with it in place but wasn't able to. I'm doing it alone so that probably didn't help.

Plastic Gen IV mock up in place

The angled rear portion of the dash that comes into the passenger side from the kick panel would catch on the motor. I wasn't able to squeeze it in between the motor and kick panel so had to remove it and reinstall after the dash was mounted.

It's easy to re-install the mock up after the dash is in. The actual unit, with plumbing, would be much more difficult. If there are any tricks to getting the dash around the unit and mounted I would appreciate feedback.

Here is what I believe if going to be final location. Happy with the look.

Here is front view. I have a bit more than 4" clearance between the dash opening and the VA unit. Anyone know how deep the glove box is? I haven't ordered a new one yet.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

SJTD

Re: Gen IV install on 83 Cherokee

Post by SJTD »

You're putting the vents under the dash?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

SJTD wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:17 pm You're putting the vents under the dash?
No, not exactly.

I plan to have three in the dash vents. Two you can see in the pictures above and one I plan to add left of the cluster in the big empty space that was supposed to be the electronic t-case switch

I also plan to have two vents below, in the sides of the center console, facing toward the foot wells and then two more vents on the back side of the center console facing the passenger seating. (drawing below)

I know that's a lot for the system but most of the time I expect foot well and rear seating ducts to be closed.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Dats where I put them but gave up on the glove box. Some pics here: http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.p ... 564&page=3

Mine's the early dash.

Hate looking back to see how little I've done in six years. Done a lot on the house, though.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

It is a tight fit probably could have notched the dash bracket a little, don’t use the spacers kit comes with mount the unit tight against the firewall , I always remove the blower motor for the final fit makes it a lot easier to install tubes and hoses, looks like your doing a really quality build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Ed.

That's a tight fit. Looks like i have at least another 1/4-1/2 right I can go based on your picture :) Removing the motor should help with installing the dash with the rest of the unit mounted...fingers crossed!

Now I just need to stop looking at other builds. Really liked the duct work on @sjtd's thread. I've got to stop with ideas and finish what the original plan was or I'll never get it done :D

cheers
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Laredo Matt wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:17 pm Thanks Ed.

That's a tight fit. Looks like i have at least another 1/4-1/2 right I can go based on your picture :) Removing the motor should help with installing the dash with the rest of the unit mounted...fingers crossed!

Now I just need to stop looking at other builds. Really liked the duct work on @sjtd's thread. I've got to stop with ideas and finish what the original plan was or I'll never get it done :D

cheers
I know what you mean we spent 6 years building my rig and still dealing with small issues.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I stepped away from AC install to work on getting the transfer case installed, new engine harness measured and ordered, work on finding the right PWM fuel pump to fit BJ's tank etc. ... work in progress.

I've got the evaporator mock installed as far to the right as I think I can which should allow me to keep most if not all of the glove box. With the factory defrost ducts though it won't fit. The factory duct extends too far down toward the floor. It interferes with the top of the evaporator and prevents me from getting it level.

I need something about 4-4 1/2" deep max and factory is 6 3/4" depth.

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket set of compact defrost ducts with air diverters built in that fit the factory dash cut outs without requiring a lot of mods? The universal ducts that came with evaporator kit don't have the air diverters and would need other mods. I have an idea in my head how to chop them up and glue back together but still wouldn't have diverters pointing air toward window and then need to find covers for the opening in the dash. workable but not my first choice .

Driver side I run into similar issues with the new gauge cluster.

I looked on the VA sight and summit and didn't see any obvious candidates.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Ok, thought about it and decided would be easier to just modify the universal ducts that came with vintage air kit.

Grabbed the drimmel, narrowed and shortened them. Very happy with results. Tight fit to the underside of dash and gained about 5" of room to work with. Should simplify things dramatically when I get ready for final assembly.

Test fit and they're perfect. Some plastic adhesive and rivets to make them air tight and good to go.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Matt, it's a thing of beauty! will work perfectly

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Wow, those came out fantastic! Are you taking orders for them? I am sure folks would love to grab those and upgrade what they have! Great job!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks for the comments guys .... finished the vents up yesterday

drilled for rivets

Good scuff and clean for adhesion

Set up and ready to go

Epoxy on, rivets in place

Cured over night and seam sealer to finish

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Hi Matt, on the in tank fuel pump I like the oem GM pump used on gen III Vortec Chevy Pickups 2000-2005, it has three legs on springs that can be shorten if needed have used on all kinds of vehicles and Walbro offers a pump with a little of volume/pressure.
On the Vintage Air Magnum evap keep in mind the real unit has 4 duct ports of the glove side which may clear the glove box , the mock up unit is not quite the same.
Have fun, Ed

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Thanks Ed. Appreciate the feedback.

I've been working with the mock up so long I kind of took it for granted everything was the same. I just learned last week the actual unit has directional floor facing vents built in on the back. They're so well hidden I had a hard time finding them :D

Prior to that, was planning to use a y connector to get floor vents down to the sides of the center console because I didn't realize they were there.

Noted on glove box. In the process of adding another dash vent to the left driver side dash. It was a big blank spot I created to mount the electronic t-case shifter but now that I've gone manual it was perfect for a second driver side vent. Will worry about glove box once mounted. I went off your pictures and got it mounted as far right as possible so I guess I'll get what I get.

For in tank pump, I went with a 2015 ZL1 GM pump. Connects direct to ECM with the existing connectors on the harness so get the PWM management I was after and they'll be available for years to come if needed. The legs had to be modified for tank depth of BJs tank but fits like a glove!
sonoraed wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:22 am Hi Matt, on the in tank fuel pump I like the oem GM pump used on gen III Vortec Chevy Pickups 2000-2005, it has three legs on springs that can be shorten if needed have used on all kinds of vehicles and Walbro offers a pump with a little of volume/pressure.
On the Vintage Air Magnum evap keep in mind the real unit has 4 duct ports of the glove side which may clear the glove box , the mock up unit is not quite the same.
Have fun, Ed
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Hi Matt, good choice on the pump, on the dash vents mounting them in a place where on a hot day cool air will be blowing on your upper torso works really well since you'll never really cool the whole interior, also thinking the evap is a tight fit and should mounted before dash installed and install heater ac hoses at the same time.

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

I will definitely plan to mount the evap with hoses etc. before installing the dash. I don't think I could do it any other way. Perhaps if I had a ton of patience but I don't and trying to do it with dash in would probably result in something bad :)

I've only got three dash mounted vents, now that I've added a third, so hopefully that will be enough.

My plan is as follows

- Both driver side vents will run off of the driver side louver. I'll use a Y. I know that will reduce output for each but I'll have two ducts. -
- Single passenger vent is mounted on the passenger side of the Factory radio cut out. It will be the only vent running of the passenger side louver.
- The two rear facing vents will run off the center passenger and center driver side louver. Each have their own louver.

I hope that will be sufficient. I figure since I have two vents I'll have more control and adjustability for air so can share a hose. I know it won't cool everything in the entire jeep but hopefully enough that it won't be roasting/freezing and ideally at least comfortable for everyone if not cool.

cheers, matt.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

refinemrh

Post by refinemrh »

Matt, which Vintage Air Condenser did you go with for your installation? I am in the process of ordering my parts. Which controller are you planning to use? Thanks for any information you can give on the parts and installation

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Condenser - I bough the UAC, recommended by @sonoraed. part# CN3731PFC. I know others on the forum have used it as well and been happy.

https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... IV#p213450

Controller - I'm using the Dakota Digital DCC-4000. Specifically designed to work with the VA Gen IV and fits style I'm looking for.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

refinemrh

Post by refinemrh »

Matt,

Thanks for the info. Just ordered one off of ebay. Your build is coming along great.

Thanks for all the inspiration.

Mike