I'm not a fab guy, but. . . (hand grinders)

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
mineral co

I'm not a fab guy, but. . . (hand grinders)

Post by mineral co »

I've never had the desire to own "fab" tools, but then I started using my FSJ.

Anyway, I need a hand grinder of some sort. I've got to cut spring perches, shock brackets, etc. off a 14 bolt axle, plus I have to do all the work on a D60 axle after the 14B is done. Who knows what might be next?

What do I want, and what do I need? I have a large compressor, so air drive is okay but I'm fine with electric too.

I need something that doesn't vibrate badly to preserve the feeling in my hands. This is actually rather important.

Besides the tool, what are the appropriate extras to do this sort of work? Right now, I think I just need to be able to cut off various bracketry and clean up the axle tubes afterwards.

Thanks for indulging such a basic question!

Chris
'84 GW, returning to service.
360, 727, Selec-Trac 229, TFI, Hydro-Boost, 4" all-spring BDS lift (what a PITA!), BFG/AT 31x10.5x15, 5125 Bilstiens

Blazer3664

Re: I'm not a fab guy, but. . . (hand grinders)

Post by Blazer3664 »

I am partial to my dads Milwaukee grinder. I have a cheapo, and my buddy has a Dewalt, the Milwaukee is the one I like best and will replace mine with when it dies.
Besides the tool, what are the appropriate extras to do this sort of work? Right now, I think I just need to be able to cut off various bracketry and clean up the axle tubes afterwards.
Cut-off wheels, grinding disk, and a flap wheel or two should do it.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

we go through grinders pretty fast at work. I also have 5 or 6 of my own at home. I think most of the bosch suck, they just didn't seem to last. Milwaukee are ok. metabo used to be my favorite, but expensive. weve been getting these new dewalt 5" that are pretty nice. tons of power, and it seems like they have some built in safety start features. the 5" is pretty nice they still have the 7/8 arbor so you can still use 4 1/2" wheels too. the only drawback is the body is kind of big. it really depends what you want to do. there was one bosch I liked for detail work. it wasn't a real powerful piece, not real good for a cutoff wheel or wire wheel, but it had a small body and worked great for sanding rails all day. easy to hold so it didn't kill your hand.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Been running angle grinders ranging in size from 4 1/2" to 9" for about 30 years.
Loved the Metabo's I have used, nice balance, low vibration, very high cost but they do last.

My personal experience with smaller 4 1/2" angle grinders:
I really like the two Bosch I have right now.
Dewalt brand rarely survive the first fall to the floor.
Makita brand work well but the newer models have goofy safety switches (as do most now).
Milwaukee brand work fine too but not as weel balanced for my wrist as the Bosch.

The internal components are all very similar so much of the choice will be your comfort and fit.
Go to some place like Grainger or Copper State (or any Ind. tool supply place) and try a few for weight balance and fit, much of the fab work I do requires using just one hand for brief periods, the reason I like my Bosch.

Since you are removing perches and brackets invest in a quality zip wheel (thin like a cut-off wheel) the Metabo Slicer is a good one, if you buy your wheels at Harbor Freight pick up a dozen or so, they are low grade.
Most importantly get a quality full face shield in addition to decent safety glasses. I don't like grinding/cutting dust in my eyes, or my nose, mouth and ears. Face shield will help.
It will also help with this below, because zip and grinder wheels can and do explode.
I have never seen one go this bad but I don't want to be on the receiving end.

A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Don't forget that little right-angle screw in handle thingy. It comes with most grinders, but I've seen in sold seperate with a few. More control is never a bad thing.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Man he had a bad day, I wonder about the story on this one... 6" on a 4.5" and no guard?

I like my Milwaukee, I bought one after working on a trailer many years ago with one I borrowed, a dewalt and a cheapo. The cheapo actually burned itself out, the dewalt kept overheating and mu buddy cut the cord on the Milwaukee. Quick cord repair and no other issues, I just replaced blades and continued with the Milwaukee for the rest of the work. Now I own one and I love it. It is not balanced in my opinion and if you get too much of the blade in a cut it has a tendency to run like hell. Meaning hold on with both hands because it will not bind up or stop.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have a Milwaukee that just always works. Never overheats, and never had an issue.

Face shields are good advice.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Mr. Goatman

Post by Mr. Goatman »

I've done a lot of grinding for many years with 4 1/2 cheapos from HF. They work. I've never really had a problem with them. About six months ago I started a bumper project that required larger surface area grinding. I bought a Hitachi 7" at Lowes for about $80.00. I can't believe how big of a difference it makes. Faster, with far less fatigue (on me).
87 GW SOA/SF on 33"
87 Diesel Goat- Project Isuzu 4BD1T, 47RH, NP205 Front and Rear D60 5" Lift and 285-75x16 St Maxx
88 GW "Blue"- Next project! 6.2 GM/ 700R4, NP 203, Banks kit

Topic author
mineral co

Post by mineral co »

Thanks for all the replies!

Interesting that nobody uses a pneumatic unit. I suppose there is a lesson in that. ;)

Most all of my power tools are Milwaukee, and they just work. But they are a bear to work with all day, partly because they have the power to get through just about anything and partly because, I think, they do not pretend to be a finesse tool.

I'm also a fan of Makita power tools and, while I don't think they are quite as tough as an equivalent Milwaukee tool, I do think they are generally more ergonomic.

Bosch was always a favorite in days past, but it seems like the modern stuff is kind of hit and miss. When you got a good one, it is extremely nice. But. . .

And I know that DeWalt's stuff has gotten a lot better over the years, but I have all these horrific memories of the old days. I just don't know that I could bring myself to go that way!

Unfortunately, it is no small exercise to look at, and hold some of these tools. Living in the mountains is a double-edged sword. Fantastic when you want to be outside, but a long way from anywhere! It's 120 miles to the closest Lowe's or Home Depot (Durango), and 200 miles to a HF (Pueblo). I'm on a first name basis with the UPS and Fedex guys.

I think I'm closer to making a decision I can live with, but would still like to read other thoughts.

[EDIT] I haven't used a Hitachi tool in a long time, but I think that company generally makes really good stuff, so they are on the list as well.

Thanks,

Chris
'84 GW, returning to service.
360, 727, Selec-Trac 229, TFI, Hydro-Boost, 4" all-spring BDS lift (what a PITA!), BFG/AT 31x10.5x15, 5125 Bilstiens

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

The biggest reason no one has mentioned air, is that you need a $1000 compressor to keep up. I have used an air grinder and as nice as it was, not many compressors will keep up.

I have an angle die grinder (air) that I use for cleaning and deburring and such. Just a little $60 one with a twistloc sanding pad on it. My Husky, 5h 30 gal compressor will not keep up. :banghead:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I gave up on my air ones. I had plenty of compressor with many big tanks to keep up but it kept chewing the gears in them. I have a 4" Makita and a 6" HF cheapie. I use the cut off blades on the HF and grind with the Makita. Aside from that, I use 911 blades on my sawzalls. Came in handy when someone was stuck in a flipped car several years ago. Fire Dept was 2 hours away, ambulance was coming and we were in a no cell service zone. I had my inverter mounted under the hood of the J4000 and my tools with me since I was coming back from working on my cabin. I made short work of the roof (vehicle was totaled). I used to have pics of it, but they were lost when my old computer crashed.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Billyj7175

Post by Billyj7175 »

Mr. Goatman wrote:I've done a lot of grinding for many years with 4 1/2 cheapos from HF. They work. I've never really had a problem with them.

Same here...caught a sale where they were $9.99 a piece, so I bought three, put a grinding wheel on one, flap wheel on another, coned wire wheel on the third. Sure saves time without having to stop and swap wheels. I'm not a full-time fab guy, so their use has been pretty limited, so I can't account for their longevity.

However...for whatever its worth, they do vibrate a heck of a lot more than the DeWalt angle grinder I also have...