Body tools

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Body tools

Post by Southern Gorilla »

What should I look for in body tools? I've decided I want to give my rig a show-quality finish when I get to that point. I sure can't afford to pay somebody for that. And it sounds like fun to me. So I thought I'd research the tools I need to do the job. The body is already in good shape. There's a bit of surface rust and a few small dings. But no major dents to repair.
Having seller's regret.

whsii

Re: Body tools

Post by whsii »

A show truck finish is quite a goal. I wanted a factory finish, but due to my poor painting abilities, I have had to learn to cut and buff.

Welder if needing to patch panels. I know you say you only have surface rust but wait until you have the windshield out, and the floors uncovered. Start cleaning under side and you also might be surprised.

A good set of sanding blocks, Dura blocks six piece set is a good start.

Hammers and dollys are needed, but they can be a chunk of steel and a ball peen, up to a curved set of dollys and a body hammer.

Scrapers of all sizes if undercoated.

Sand blaster or grinders with different sized knotted brushes for removing paint and surface rust.

DA sander, this can be air or electric. I used a Porter Cable electric, with good results. If you go with air, you need a big, "big" air compressor, 5 hp or larger, you will need this also when you paint.

Paint gun. Harbor Freight sells cheep ones, but most body men that do custom paint jobs have one for primer, one for base and one for clear coat. adverage cost is $200.

Reams of sand paper from 80 grit to 5000 grit. A polishing orbital unit, with different foam pads for each level of polishing compound, I bet I have 1k in sand paper and the polishing unit with accessories.

Primer and paint are not cheep, I have at least $400 in primer, paint, reducer, hardener, and I picked a factory color which is about as cheep as it gets. A friend paid $2000 for just the paint, reducer and clear coat with hardener, for his Chevy 4X4. He went with a metallic.

This is just the beginning of the list, if you are really serious about a show car finish, I would suggest going to http://www.autobody101.com/forums/ and reading for a couple of weeks. These guys are professionals and top end hobbyists that do show cars, custom body work, daily shop body work, etc.

I have been doing work on my paint job for over two years now. I bet I have close to 2000 hours invested, but I have had to do many of the parts two or three times. There is tremendous skills involved, and if you do as I did, you will have many trials and errors. Don't get me wrong, it is very rewarding when you finish and cut and buff out a part. But there is so much of it, it gets trying.

I have one more spray to complete the painting, then a week or two of cutting and buffing the cab and front clip, and I can assemble. I have been sanding the botched paint on this last spray for a month and a half, not that it is that hard, I am just tired of re doing something that does not look to be that hard.

I am not meaning to scare you, just want to prepare you. You can look at the link in my signature to see some of what is involved. I do have to say, I would have quit if not for the information from the great people at Auto body 101. They are to the painting world as IFSJA and Full Size Jeep Network are to our FSJ's.

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Yeah, I expected it to be a bit tiresome. For some reason it just appeals to me. Fortunately, I'm a long way from starting the bodywork. So I have time to learn. And then I can take my time and work panel to panel as time allows. Thanks for giving me a starting point.
Having seller's regret.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Where are you located?

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Irving, Texas.
Having seller's regret.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Southern Gorilla wrote:Irving, Texas.
Bummer... I was going to invite you by where I could go over my 442, explaining what I have done, how I did it, etc. I'm certainly not God's gift to autobody, but it would give you start. Unfortunately, you're a good 12 hours away!

Eastwood has some good videos (and there are others out there as well) that will help you get started. Off the top of my head, you'll need a couple body hammers, a couple dollies, a slapping dolly, a body file, and a shrinking disc.

Here is a nice set of body tools from Eastwood

http://www.eastwood.com/fairmount-8-pc- ... -wood.html

This set of Martin hammers and dollies (also from Eastwood) is a great beginner's set.

http://www.eastwood.com/hammer-and-doll ... ieces.html

Same Martin set, but with fiberglass handles

http://www.eastwood.com/8-piece-fibergl ... y-set.html

Shrinking disc (the only one to get, in my opinion).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shrinking-Disc- ... 58a5654be4

Bodywork is slow, tedious, somewhat confusing, and the tools aren't cheap (and the cheap tools are crap). You'll also need an air sander (you have a high-cfm compressor, yes?) and a paint gun. For now, those can be cheap (Eastwood sells some less expensive sanders and spray guns). Buy your hammers and dollies, your shrinking disc, your orbital sander and your spray gun, and a few videos. Once you have all those, go down to your local pull-a-part and get a fender off an older (1980 or older) American car. You'll want one with a few dings or small dents (nothing major), and with as little rust as possible (you're trying to learn bodywork, not rust repair). Get it home, build a couple sturdy saw-horses to support it (don't forget to wash it really well), watch your videos and try your luck.

Hope that helps!
Bill

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

I always forget about Eastwood. Thanks for reminding me. A couple videos sound like a smart idea. And I never would have thought about getting a junkyard panel to practice on. Maybe I'll find a new tailgate or something for the Cherokee so the practice doesn't go to waste.
Having seller's regret.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Eastwood is great
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill