carnuck

Re: Metal Cutting Tools

Post by carnuck »

I have a Sears bandsaw
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

I have a hack saw (and a really sore arm)
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Theduke

Post by Theduke »

As a welder who did industrial construction.
from cheap to expensive:
4"+ grinder with lots of cutting disks.
Chop saw. Only used at home replaced with next item.
Porta-band. Most used. Milwaukee deep cut.
Plasma cutter.

If I could only buy 1 it would be the porta-band.
1989 Grand Wagoneer
AMC360 TF727 NP229

threepiece

Post by threepiece »

Lots of ways to cut. Like most processes each has pros and cons.

Abrasive cutting is a messy and dangerous process. I have a chop saw fitted with an abrasive cutting disk but it is for outdoor use only. I certainly don’t want the resulting dust in my shop or lungs. These machines come in sizes that are very portable and affordable. However the disks are consumable and cost per cut is relatively high. Depending on how often it is used this could be an issue. Moreover the performance changes as the cutting disk wears down. The capacity of depth and length of cut is reduced as the cutting wheel gets smaller. Also, toe clamping work pieces is usually limited and too dangerous or not possible unless modifications are made.

Most all shops that cut metal regularly use band saws. Although they are relatively expensive and lack portability, band saws have none of the cons that I describe above. Objects of various shapes can be easily secured on many saws with C clamps and/or toe clamps. The reputation band saws have of quickly wearing blades is caused by operator misuse and is undeserving. I run two horizontal band saws in my shop almost daily and I almost never use coolant. My blades suffer from metal fatigue from cycling around before the teeth become dull. This takes between two and three years. I can do this because my saws have an adjusting valve that controls the down force and I have learned through the years how to use it effectively. I would not buy a horizontal band saw without one.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I agree with the others. A chop saw, 4.5" grinder, Sawzal with Milwaukee Wrecker blades [cheap blades-suck], 1/2" drill.