Mason Bee Warning

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
threepiece

Mason Bee Warning

Post by threepiece »

I happened to notice a mason bee exiting the end of an air hose in my shop the other day. Just a reminder to those who have open ended air hoses in their shop to plug the end or blow them out before using them.
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.

BCRAWLER

Re: Mason Bee Warning

Post by BCRAWLER »

How big are these guys? We have a new invasive bee in the north west. The are called murder bees. Supposedly the size of a humming bird. Allergic to bees and wasps so really scary. Shotgun for defence maybe, LOL. Every year we have a dozen or so nests made and with being of for Covid19 doing battle. Stay safe.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BCRAWLER wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:27 pm How big are these guys? We have a new invasive bee in the north west. The are called murder bees. Supposedly the size of a humming bird. Allergic to bees and wasps so really scary. Shotgun for defence maybe, LOL. Every year we have a dozen or so nests made and with being of for Covid19 doing battle. Stay safe.
The Asian Giant Hornet is about 4cm long, so pretty big. Mason bees are very similar to a honey bee, and are pretty harmless. But they can find their way into things.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
threepiece

Post by threepiece »

It’s that time of year again and boy I have never seen so many! I was working just outside my shop yesterday. There was a small mud puddle where they were concentrated, I would guess about 50 bees. They were then investigating areas in and around my shop. I promptly closed the doors as they could make a real mess in there.

I had a bit of fun trying to get them to invade various holes in my body. I had several consider traveling into my nose and into my puckered mouth but I guess the carbon dioxide warned them away. I then made a small hole with my fingers and got one to enter. It was a great diversion!
I used to name my FSJ’s after their previous owners, I realized I had too many with five named Rick.

Dang raccoons again!

Rust is a color too.