The quick shop

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
carnuck

The quick shop

Post by carnuck »

This is one of those carports sold at hardware stores for @$1000 (I got mine for $700 at a customer appreciation sale) The sides are not included (I just got more roofing that was close) In hindsight, I would have used the OEM pieces for the sides and got full length panels for the roof so there were no seams (it leaks in the middle, even with the stickum that comes with it) The other thing I would do is ensure the frame was on level or the center very slightly raised or better yet, the back end be lower so all the rain, etc ran off that way.
I was going to put a roil up door on the front, but decided not to (scrapped the door for what I paid for it less my time and gas) Still haven't figured what to do with that, but they have a close in kit available for @$1,000. I thought about putting the frame on wheels like a trailer so I could move it around (it will get moved soon)
Side from needing a helper and a good screw gun (self tapping screws), it was pretty easy to do. I put a large pallet across the pickup bed to stand on and line everything up with one of my sons helping me. I put the center panel on with 1 screw each end (to make sure it's aligned. Then slide the next one under the lip (overlapped 2 bumps) and measure for level before screwing it down. Then do the bottom panel on each side and adjust the rest between so the overlaps are even.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

billj

Re: The quick shop

Post by billj »

A snow removal company I use to work for used those for salt sheds. We mounted them on those 2' x2' x 4' cement blocks stacked two high three sides around. It lifted them nicely so the Bobcat bucket could go high. They hold up pretty good, even with all the salt...I think they can be had pretty cheap, like $25 each or something...contact a cement yard if you are interested. I would look to mount it permenantly so I could put a floor in there, even if you just use pavers for the floor...It would make a nice place out of the elements for working and storage....
1989 Grand Wagoneer (sold)
Currently FSJ-less
www.colinmichaelfund.org